Prozac and AAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prozac and AAS

So I am going to get back on Prozac due to some PTSD issues that I live with. I have been off and on this drug since I got out of the Corps. I choose not to stay on it because when I feel better I step down off of it and I'm good for a year or two. I have never been on Prozac while on AAS. Is this a bad Idea? What may I experience?
    Never mistake kindness for weakness...

Here is Some Info I Found

Introduction
    In today?s sometimes overly stressful world many people are turning to medication, in a study performed in 2005 it showed that 27 million Americans were taking antidepressants, this represents roughly 10% of the population at the time, since then this number has certainly continued to rise as studies show antidepressant usage has been on a continual increase. Since our site caters to adult men, it should also be noted that usage continues to rise significantly among adult men as well.

But what this article is really about is users taking antidepressants and how they affect anabolic steroid/pro-hormone cycles, post cycle therapy, testosterone levels and in general building muscle. There are thousands of questions on popular internet message boards (such as prohormoneforum.com) regarding antidepressant usage and anabolic steroid cycles, we won?t go into detail about how these antidepressants effect depression and anxiety, only how they affect bodybuilding and steroid usage.

SSRI (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor)

Below are the five of the most common and popular SSRI products.
    1.Lexapro
    2.Celexa
    3.Paxil
    4.Zoloft
    5.Prozac

SNRI (Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor)

Below are the three of the most common and popular SNRI products.
    1.Effexor
    2.Cymbalta
    3.Pristiq

Testosterone Levels

Obviously as a bodybuilder, athlete or serious lifter you know how important testosterone is to the male body, there have been some recent studies that suggest SSRI?s in particular can cause reduced testosterone levels, unfortunately there haven?t been any extensive studies to prove or disprove this notion. Most of the information we were able to find is mostly individual users starting an SSRI and getting blood work done to show the lowered values, it should be noted that there is extensive blood work to support the theory that SSRI?s lower testosterone levels in many users.

Having watched a friend lose his mother due to cancer he turned to an SSRI (Lexapro) to help cope with the depression, while it worked wonders for his mental state, he made little progress in the gym while on Lexapro for a year, several months ago he came off the medication and has begun to add muscle pretty quickly. Nothing has changed in his routine or dietary habits to support the growth, everything is pointing back to the Lexapro.

Here is one study that was performed: Antidepressant-Induced Low Serum Free Testosterone

So at this point it should be generalized that an SSRI can potentially affect testosterone levels. It?s also possible SNRI?s could have similar results, however there is less information about this.

Post Cycle Therapy

This is where things get sticky, if you?re a smart anabolic steroid/pro-hormone user, you probably complete a PCT (post cycle therapy) after your cycle and if you?re a really smart user, you probably use a prescription grade PCT consisting of i.e Nolvadex (Tamoxifen Citrate).

Nolvadex uses an enzyme ?CYP2D6′ to convert itself into a more useful form that our bodies can use. Unfortunately many antidepressants also use this same CYP2D6 enzyme, thus you have two medications competing for the same pathway. The problem? Antidepressants have priority on the CYP2D6 enzyme therefore can render Nolvadex to be nearly useless, which could cause serious side effects during our PCT such as Gynecomastia. If you?re on an antidepressant and intend on using Nolvadex as your PCT, it?s important for you to know which antidepressants will cause issue and if you?re on an antidepressant that will inhibit Nolvadex from being functional, we recommend going with Clomid or Fareston (Toremifene Citrate) instead for your PCT. Below is a list provided by BreastCancer.org showing which SSRI & SNRI are strong to moderate inhibitors and those that are not.

Strong Inhibitors

Generic Names

Brand Names

Bupropion

Wellbutrin

Fluoxetine

Prozac

Paroxetine

Paxil

Quinidine

Cardioquin

Moderate Inhibitors

Generic Names

Brand Names

Duloxetine

Cymbalta

Sertraline

Zoloft

Diphenhydramine

Benadryl

Thioridazine

Mellaril

Amiodarone

Cordarone

Trazodone

Desyrel

Cimetidine

Tagamet

SSRIs and SNRIs That Are Not Inhibitors

Generic Names

Brand Names

Venlavaxine

Effexor

Citalopram

Celexa

Escitalopram

Lexapro

We also did some research on another very popular (and newish) SNRI named Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) it?s independent of CYP2D6 enzyme therefore shouldn?t negatively interact with Nolvadex
    Weight Gain
    One of the largest issues in particular with some SSRI?s is unwelcomed weight gain, while some bodybuilders would welcome some additional help putting on weight, the majority of this weight comes in the form of fat particularly in the stomach, chest and back areas. The evidence is conclusive that the majority of SSRI?s can and will cause some form of weight gain, studies have shown that SSRI?s can/will reduce a users metabolism to some degree, however as to why SSRI?s slow down a bodies metabolism remains unknown. Even an active healthy adult that eats a balanced diet can experience weight gain. In some cases weight gain in upwards of 30+ lbs is experienced on longer term SSRI usage. SNRI?s on the other hand have a much less likely chance of causing unwelcomed weight gain, in the event SNRI?s cause weight gain it?s typically significantly less than with an SSRI.

Prolactin Levels
    There is significant medical information that ?some? SSRI?s handily increase prolactin levels, prolactin is certainly something users want to keep under control especially on cycle as high prolactin levels can cause puffyness/swelling of breast tissue, lactating breasts (even in men), headaches, infertility, decreased sex drive and more. Users should run prolactin control supplements (i.e P-5-P, Vitex, L-Dopa) to keep prolactin levels at bay on cycle.

Sexual Side Effects
    As you may know when doing an anabolic steroid/pro-hormone cycle, some users experience a lowered libido, or in rare cases impotence, which in most cases is certainly undesirable. Virtually all antidepressants aside from Wellbutrin (atypical antidepressant) have some risk of causing sexual dysfunction which can result in lowered libido, impotence or the inability to climax. Those taking an antidepressant and cycling have an increased risk as both can negatively impact a users libido or sexual function.

Fatigue / Lethargy
    Another common side effect of Antidepressants is fatigue and lethargy, which also happens to be a quite a common issue on some anabolic steroid/pro-hormone cycles, in some cases lethargy and fatigue can prevent some cycles from being highly successful, so take this into consideration when cycling on an antidepressant the combination of lethargy/fatigue enhancing drugs can cripple a cycle.

Disclaimer
    We are not doctors, therefore before starting any supplement or training regiment you should consult with your doctor. The information being provided is simply personal opinion.

Comment

very intersting that it can prevent pct from being effective .. i never woulda thought they would be connected.buhbye lexypro lol

Comment

Good read..thanx..Personally I have been on Celexa during a cycle, and while I had no ill sides I did notice my anger issues were not as severe. Any fatigue or lethargy I just wipe out with clen..lol

Comment

Good feedback so far but I need to hear some more personal feedback. I want to make sure that I get the best results and maintain a healthy sex drive while on cycle so keep it coming guys and lets hear it

Comment

I know that alot of antidepressants including prozac can give you the limp dick. Does that translate to lower test levels.
            For me I think it would, I can't speak for everyone.

Comment

i dont think it would account for lower test levels.. i think its another reason.. anyone care to enlighten us???

Comment

So got to the doctor and I got effexor which the doctor said is a brother to pristiqu so it should not affect the nolvadex and he said it has low chance of sexual side effects. Im still looking for feedback so if you got it then spill it!

Comment

Working...
                X