Renzo Gracie: "everybody is taking steroids"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renzo Gracie: "everybody is taking steroids"

Celebrating his forty-eighth birthday Wednesday, MMA legend Renzo Gracie weighed in on the sport's alarming rise in drug test failures.

Specifically regarding Anderson Silva, it doesn't sound like Gracie was especially surprised to hear about the former UFC middleweight champion failing multiple drug screenings prior to and following his bout with Nick Diaz at UFC 183.
    Celebrating his forty-eighth birthday Wednesday, MMA legend Renzo Gracie weighed in on the sport's alarming rise in drug test failures.

Specifically regarding Anderson Silva, it doesn't sound like Gracie was especially surprised to hear about the former UFC middleweight champion failing multiple drug screenings prior to and following his bout with Nick Diaz at UFC 183.

"Everybody is taking (steroids)," Gracie told Brazilian outlet Tatame. "The difference is that Anderson probably lost control of when the substance would be out of his body. Fighters who don't use (PEDs) can't compete in this sport. There are some exceptional guys, like Frankie Edgar and Chris Weidman. Those two never took anything. I watch them closely. Everybody takes (steroids), except them. But they are rare cases."

Silva tested positive for the anabolic steroids Drostanolone and Androstane in a random pre-fight blood screening on Jan. 9. He also tested positive for Drostanolone metabolites in his Jan. 31 urine test.

"I don't understand much about steroids, but I heard that substance is hard to catch," said Gracie. "For whatever reason, [Silva] was caught. I don't know if he took it longer than he should. The problem with those things is that you develop an addiction, both physically and psychologically."

[Translation via Guilherme Cruz]Gracie told Brazilian outlet Tatame. "The difference is that Anderson probably lost control of when the substance would be out of his body. Fighters who don't use (PEDs) can't compete in this sport. There are some exceptional guys, like Frankie Edgar and Chris Weidman. Those two never took anything. I watch them closely. Everybody takes (steroids), except them. But they are rare cases."

Silva tested positive for the anabolic steroids Drostanolone and Androstane in a random pre-fight blood screening on Jan. 9. He also tested positive for Drostanolone metabolites in his Jan. 31 urine test.

"I don't understand much about steroids, but I heard that substance is hard to catch," said Gracie. "For whatever reason, [Silva] was caught. I don't know if he took it longer than he should. The problem with those things is that you develop an addiction, both physically and psychologically."

[Translation via Guilherme Cruz]
Working...
X