Usain Bolt ain't happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usain Bolt ain't happy

We all know by now Ben Johnson admitted to AAS and GH usage.
    Jamaica was not to eager to test its athlets, wonder when we get to know what they use.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Usain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	156838

Usain Bolt has claimed the World Anti-Doping Agency's high-profile investigation into Jamaica could cost him a lucrative sponsorship deal because the potential sponsor wrongly believes Wada's warnings that the island could be thrown out of the 2016 Olympics.

But Bolt, speaking after being named the International Association of Athletics Federations male athlete of the year, said he would not be following his compatriot Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce – who won the women's award – in going on strike if Jamaica's athletes are not better looked after by their federation. "It's hard for me to strike because it's my job," said Bolt. "Shelly-Ann, you're on your own with that."

Bolt, who lifted the IAAF athlete of the year award for the fifth time in six years on Saturday, acknowledged that "Jamaica has had some problems this season", but added "that is not part of my focus". Instead, he said misinformation from Wada had caused him "a lot of problems".

"I know we've been going through a lot when it comes to drug testing, Wada and the IAAF, but this is causing a lot of problems for me," he said. "When a sponsor came up to us and was saying 'we'd like to sponsor you'. They then used an agency that does background checks to figure out if it's viable to sponsor you and it came back that Wada had said I would not be eligible to run at the next Olympics. That information is not correct, so there are a lot of things that are going on with this drugs thing that I really feel they need to clarify because, for me, it's causing problems for me when it comes to making money from my sport.

"We really need to get this out of the way and move past this, get the rules down, get everything straight and get it down fast, because we need to move on," Bolt added. "In every sport there are drug scandals and problems, but people move past it. That's what we have to do because it's really costing me money now, and I'm not too happy about that."

The IAAF president, Lamine Diack, used the awards presentation to criticise Wada for mounting what he called a "ridiculous campaign" against Jamaica and Kenya. "It was like a campaign, with Wada trying to make a statement," he said. "It was ridiculous. They went to Jamaica and what did they find? Nothing. We have to be clear on that.

"We are doing our best in athletics. You will never have an athlete suspended for four years in football. Stop all this."

Diack's comments followed a Wada statement that appeared to suggest the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission would be declared compliant after Wada's visit to the island to conduct an extraordinary audit this month. "Wada is satisfied that the minister [of sport] has accepted the practical suggestions it made and now looks forward to their full implementation in the coming weeks. These include ... an acknowledgement by the minister to undertake a legislative review of anti-doping law in Jamaica, along with the evaluation of Jadco's governance and management structure. The minister has indicated that an additional budgetary contribution of $8m Jamaican dollars [about £50,000] is to be made to Jadco to assist with these advances.

"The government of Jamaica has made a clear commitment to address any deficiencies that exist and to improve on the efficiency and efficacy of the anti-doping programme in Jamaica."

Mo Farah lost out to Bolt for the athlete of the year award, but his coach, Alberto Salazar, was named the IAAF coach of the year. Daley Thompson was also inducted into the IAAF Hall of Fame.

Farah was not in Monaco, but Salazar said his preparations for next year's London Marathon are going well. "As he moves to the marathon we have to change his form. Already, in four weeks, not so much bobbing – he is already more efficient," said Salazar, before joking: "We tried to make him a sprinter, now we are taking him back the other way. Mo tells me I have to make up my mind."
Working...
X