Building Muscle Doesn't Require Lifting Heavy Weights, Study Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Muscle Doesn't Require Lifting Heavy Weights, Study Shows

Current gym dogma holds that to build muscle size you need to lift heavy weights. However, a new study conducted at McMaster University has shown that a similar degree of muscle building can be achieved by using lighter weights. The secret is to pump iron until you reach muscle fatigue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100811125943.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	156679
    "Rather than grunting and straining to lift heavy weights, you can grab something much lighter but you have to lift it until you can't lift it anymore," says Stuart Phillips, associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster University. "We're convinced that growing muscle means stimulating your muscle to make new muscle proteins, a process in the body that over time accumulates into bigger muscles."

Phillips praised lead author and senior Ph.D. student Nicholas Burd for masterminding the project that showed it's really not the weight that you lift but the fact that you get muscular fatigue that's the critical point in building muscle. The study used light weights that represented a percentage of what the subjects could lift. The heavier weights were set to 90% of a person's best lift and the light weights at a mere 30% of what people could lift. "It's a very light weight," says Phillips noting that the 90-80% range is usually something people can lift from 5-10 times before fatigue sets in. At 30%, Burd reported that subjects could lift that weight at least 24 times before they felt fatigue.

"We're excited to see where this new paradigm will lead," says Phillips, adding that these new data have practical significance for gym enthusiasts but more importantly for people with compromised skeletal muscle mass, such as the elderly, patients with cancer, or those who are recovering from trauma, surgery or even stroke.
    Hardcore (labs) 2 the bone

I tried the lighter weights with more reps thing for a while. It absolutely destroyed my joints and ligaments from all the repetitive movement.

Maybe other people have had a different experience, but it took me over a year for the tendinitis to settle down.

It might work to build muscle but it it's tough on the ligaments IMO.
    If you can't do it right, Don't do it!

Comment

Ill stick with old school. I lift heavy and to failure. It works. I do have my days where I don't feel full strength on and will back down a few pounds. But still do my 3 sets
      to failure. Warm up and stretching included. One day I hope to be living in a van out side the gym....LOL!
      Building my self for a better tomorrow.

Comment

The only way i feel stronger is to lift heavier which in turn makes me bigger
        Im not embaressed to to lift heavy for 5 reps thats how personals bests are made.

Comment

I like to throw in a light weight / high rep workout every few weeks, I feel like it keeps me from getting stagnant.

Comment

I do not go below 8 reps intentionally.... At nearly 34 years old, I can't afford injury. A pull sets me back weeks, a tear sets me back months.... Its not worth it to find out what my personal best is.... I am not competing. I train for vanity and overall health...
            Somebody out there is working harder. Somebody wants it more.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy View Post
              At nearly 34 years old, I can't afford injury
              LMAO!! Your just a kid for gods sake... Suck it up son... LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy View Post
                I do not go below 8 reps intentionally.... At nearly 34 years old, I can't afford injury. A pull sets me back weeks, a tear sets me back months.... Its not worth it to find out what my personal best is.... I am not competing. I train for vanity and overall health...
                I'm 34 and still reaching for personal best lifts regularly. We are still pretty young in the whole scheme of things Krazy.
                If you can't do it right, Don't do it!

Comment

I'm looking at 2 years from 50 and grateful for every day that people come up and say "How do I get a body like that"

My goal is to make it to 80 and out live all the sorry fucks out there that eat shit and bitch that there back hurts and do NOTHING to better there body's.

Krazy I raise my glass to you and everyone else thats here...

Comment

My body aches from more than 20 years of weight training less injury time... I am not saying to lift like a pussy. I am still throwing 365 up 10 times on the flat bench. I do shoulder presses with 100 lbs dumbbells... I am quite confident that several guys throw much more weight around than that, but for me, its enough to get the growth and shape that I want...
                    Somebody out there is working harder. Somebody wants it more.

Comment

There has been this discussion since I worked out in high school in the 80s LOl.I always read train until muscle is 100% failure and try for 8 reps to fail,keep adding weight as muscle grows or adapts to training type.Heavy weight larger muscle "generally as there are exceptions to everything.Also I read a medical report on muscle building & weight training,reps,weight amounts etc,it had to do with fast twitch fiber vs slow twitch fiber,fast twitch was stimulated by lighter weight higher reps,for runners,fitness athletes etc.It was so long ago I forgot exact info,for me intense heavy training builds muscle,and like Krazy said light weight high reps,hurt my ligaments way before I even feel muscle fatigue.Hey I am 45 and hittin steel for years and I still find some new helpful info.Just MHO.

Comment

Working...
                      X