conflicting health studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conflicting health studies

One day "experts" say you need to eat blueberries cause they are healthy, the other day another "expert" says no, they can be dangerous.

Superfoods can make cancer MORE likely, says pioneer of DNA study
    It is widely believed that superfoods like blueberries and broccoli help fight cancer by defending against oxygen molecules called free radicals
    Dr James Watson has now said such free radicals may be key to preventing and treating cancer
    The 84-year-old Nobel laureate has said antioxidants 'may have caused more cancers than they have prevented'

..Fashionable anti-cancer superfoods and supplements do not prevent the disease and may even cause it, according to a scientist who helped discover the structure of DNA.

James Watson said the cure for many cancers will remain elusive unless scientists rethink the role of antioxidants, which include vitamin pills and food such as blueberries and broccoli.

It is widely believed they boost health and fight cancer by mopping up oxygen molecules called free radicals. But Dr Watson argues these may be key to preventing and treating cancer – and depleting the body of them may be counter-productive.

Free radicals not only help keep diseased cells under control, they are also pivotal in making many cancer drugs, as well as radiotherapy, effective, he believes.

Writing in a journal published by the Royal Society, the 84-year-old Nobel laureate stated that antioxidants ‘may have caused more cancers than they have prevented’.

‘For as long as I have been focused on the curing of cancer, well-intentioned individuals have been consuming antioxidative nutritional supplements as cancer preventatives, if not actual therapies,’ he said.

‘In light of recent data strongly hinting that much of late-stage cancer’s untreatability may arise from its possession of too many antioxidants, the time has come to seriously ask whether antioxidant use much more likely causes than prevents cancer.’

He said a vast number of studies had found antioxidants including vitamins A, C and E and the mineral selenium, to have ‘no obvious effectiveness’ in preventing stomach cancer or in lengthening life.

Instead, they seem to slightly shorten the lives of those who take them, and vitamin E may be particularly dangerous.

The American, who describes his theory as among his most important work since the DNA breakthrough with British colleague Francis Crick in 1953, said blueberries may taste good but give no protection against cancer. The study by Dr Watson, based at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York, is published in the journal Open Biology.

He has caused uproar in the past with his opinions on race, intelligence, beauty and homosexuality.

Professor Nic Jones, of Cancer Research UK, agreed that studies showed antioxidants were ineffective for cancer prevention in healthy people and can even slightly increase the risk of the disease.

He said vitamins and minerals should be obtained through a healthy and balanced diet.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	blueberries.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	156509

Thanks for reinforcing what I've believed for some time Ronny. Over the last 30 years I have always been an athlete to some extent. Of course I've had varying degrees of dedication, but I've remained educated and health conscious to be sure. Whenever a new study is posted touting the "miracle" benefits of some food or supplement, it seems to be consistently refuted at some point after those of us in the real world have had a chance to examine these claims for ourselves. They often turn out to be detrimental as well. IME this seems to be the rule, not the exception.

Aside from AAS use, a diverse, complete diet has always served me well, and my supplementation has been limited to small amounts of protein drinks and low potency multi vitamins just to be sure I was rounding out my aminos and hard to find minerals. I know a great deal is based on genetics, but I will turn 48 on January 20th, (I need new socks, by the way.) and I still heal as fast as I did when I was 20, even major breaks and extensive trauma. I can't remember the last time I was sick. Anyway, less can often be more, and this article should serve as a caution to anyone who feels the need to follow the next fad and consume mass quantities of anything. Don't believe everything you read. Thanks again Ronny, you are the man.
    Employ your time improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for. -Socrates

Comment

for those of us who have been around lifting and nutrition long enough, for me its about 20yrs, you will have heard a study say something is great then one telling you how bad it is..then probably one telling you its great again...its become a habit for me to see who conducted the studies as you will see everyone has an agenda....learn your body and what works for you
      Satisfaction Is the Death of Desire

Comment

Working...
      X