X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOE Gets Summary Judgement in AAS Lawsuit

BOE gets summary judgment in steroids lawsuit

By Heather Mullinix Assistant editor

CROSSVILLE ? Summary judgment in favor of the Cumberland County Board of Education was ordered in a lawsuit that sprang from accusations of a volunteer coach providing anabolic steroids to a student.

The plaintiff, Benjamin Dodd, had claimed negligence by the school system.

The original suit named the BOE, Tony Akins, Scott Maddox and Dr. Janet Brooker as defendants, along with Jim Wilson, a former non-faculty football coach at SMHS.

Akins, Maddox and Brooker were previously dismissed from the suit by the court.

The summary judgment means only Wilson remains as a defendant as the case moves forward.

As a 17-year-old member of the SMHS football team, Dodd approached Wilson after the 2008 season asking advice on over-the-counter supplements to help him gain muscle mass. The suit claims Wilson responded he could obtain supplements but that the family would have to reimburse the coach. Dodd's mother issued a check for $140 for 85 tables which turned out to be anabolic steroids. The suit claims neither mom nor son knew they were obtaining steroids.

Shortly after, Dodd and his mother state Dodd became sick, suffering from headaches, chest pains and violent mood swings. In January 2009, Dodd was transported by ambulance to Cumberland Medical Center where he was treated and released. The suit claims the headaches and mood swing continued. In February, SRO Akins found Dodd in possession of the pills and asked what they were for. A meeting following shortly after between Dodd, Wilson, Maddox and Brooker, during which time Wilson was asked, and stated, that the pills were steroids. Dodd's mother was not notified of the meeting, the suit states.

Wilson pleaded guilty in April to the sale of Oxymetholone, an anabolic steroid whose primary use is in the treatment of osteoporosis and anemia. It is also used to stimulate muscle growth. Wilson received a six-year suspended sentence but was also granted judicial diversion, which means the guilty plea will stand until the six years of probation expires. If the defendant successfully completes all terms of probation and does not get into additional trouble, he can then petition the court to have the charge removed from his record.

lol.. how idiotic can u be.. asking the parents for the money on top of it... so ignorant

Comment

Or the Parents + Kid new what they where doing + blamed the coach when they got caught.

Kid went to the hospital in Jan (found out they where AAS) got caught w AAS in Feb - "In February, SRO Akins found Dodd in possession of the pills and asked what they were for. A meeting following shortly after between Dodd, Wilson, Maddox and Brooker, during which time Wilson was asked, and stated, that the pills were steroids. Dodd's mother was not notified of the meeting, the suit states."
      "GYM + JUICE"

Comment

sounds liike they are passing the buck to me.

Comment

Originally posted by atavist View Post
          sounds liike they are passing the buck to me.
          Damn right they are.

Comment

Oh i didn't know what they were i just took them.......Coach said they were good for me so i just took them.......so whos fault is that at the end of the day?? Didn't see his fathers name in there anywhere....probably because his mother got knocked up only for the payments.......probably called the guy up and said "I didn't know i would get pregnant but send the money every month" thats where that kid got his morals from...his loser mother

Comment

Working...
            X