Sucralose???? what do you know about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucralose???? what do you know about

whats up with this stuff its in everything??? i cut out all un-natural sugars and everything i see has sucralose in it even my protein shakes, and i have tried some of that mio water enhancer cus drinking a gallon of water a day is soooooooooooo boring

are there any side effects to sucralose? weight gain ect.......
    http://juicedmuscle.com/signaturepics/sippic1218_5.gif

www.NapsGear.net/?ref=945

Health, safety, and regulation

Sucralose has been accepted by several national and international food safety regulatory bodies, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Joint Food and Agriculture Organization / World Health Organization Expert Committee on Food Additives, the European Union's Scientific Committee on Food, Health Protection Branch of Health and Welfare Canada, and Food Standards Australia-New Zealand (FSANZ). Sucralose is one of two artificial sweeteners ranked as "safe" by the consumer advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest. The other is neotame.[20][21][22] According to the Canadian Diabetes Association, the amount of sucralose that can be consumed on a daily basis over a person’s lifetime without any adverse effects is 9 mg/kg/day.[23][24]

"In determining the safety of sucralose, the FDA reviewed data from more than 110 studies in humans and animals. Many of the studies were designed to identify possible toxic effects, including carcinogenic, reproductive, and neurological effects. No such effects were found, and FDA's approval is based on the finding that sucralose is safe for human consumption." For example, McNeil Nutritional LLC studies submitted as part of its U.S. FDA Food Additive Petition 7A3987 indicated that "in the 2-year rodent bioassays...there was no evidence of carcinogenic activity for either sucralose or its hydrolysis products..."[25]

Safety studies

Results from over 100 animal and clinical studies in the FDA approval process unanimously indicated a lack of risk associated with sucralose intake.[26][27][28][29] However, some adverse effects were seen at doses that significantly exceeded the estimated daily intake (EDI), which is 1.1 mg/kg/day.[30] When the EDI is compared to the intake at which adverse effects are seen, known as the highest no adverse effects limit (HNEL), at 1500 mg/kg/day,[30] there is a large margin of safety. The bulk of sucralose ingested is not absorbed by the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and is directly excreted in the feces, while 11-27% of it is absorbed.[4] The amount absorbed from the GI tract is largely removed from the blood stream by the kidneys and eliminated in the urine, with 20-30% of the absorbed sucralose being metabolized.[4]
    Environmental effects

According to one study, sucralose is digestible by a number of microorganisms and is broken down once released into the environment.[31] However, measurements by the Swedish Environmental Research Institute have shown that wastewater treatment has little effect on sucralose, which is present in wastewater effluents at levels of several μg/l (ppb).[32] There are no known ecotoxicological effects at such levels, but the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency warns there may be a continuous increase in levels if the compound is only slowly degraded in nature.[33]
    Other potential effects

A Duke University study[34] found evidence that doses of Splenda of between 100 and 1000 mg/kg, containing sucralose at 1.1 to 11 mg/kg (compare to the FDA Acceptable Daily Intake of 5 mg/kg), reduced the amount of good bacteria in the intestines of rats by up to 50%, increased the pH level in the intestines, contributed to increases in body weight, and affected the levels of P-glycoprotein (P-gp).[35] These effects have not been reported in humans.[4] An expert panel, including scientists from Rutgers University, New York Medical College, Harvard School of Public Health, Columbia University, and Duke University reported in Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology that the Duke study was "not scientifically rigorous and is deficient in several critical areas that preclude reliable interpretation of the study results".[36] Another study, published in the Journal of Mutation Research, linked large doses of sucralose equivalent to 11,450 packets (136 g) per day in a person to DNA damage in mice.[37]
    Ain't no use in lookin' down
    Ain't no discharge on the ground
    Ain't no use in lookin' back
    'Cause Jody's got your Cadillac
    Ain't no use in feelin' blue
    'Cause Jody's got your lady too

Comment

^ Merck Index, 11th Edition, 8854.
      ^ Anonymous. Scifinder - Substance Detail for 56038-13-2. , October 30, 2010.
      ^ a b c "All About Sucralose". Calorie Control Council.
      ^ a b c d Michael A. Friedman, Lead Deputy Commissioner for the FDA, Food Additives Permitted for Direct Addition to Food for Human Consumption; Sucralose Federal Register: 21 CFR Part 172, Docket No. 87F-0086, April 3, 1998
      ^ A Report on Sucralose from the Food Sanitation Council, The Japan Food Chemical Research Foundation
      ^ "Tate & Lyle loses sucralose patent case". ap-foodtechnology.com.
      ^ "Strong Clinical Database that Supports Safety of Splenda Sweetener Products". McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. Retrieved 2009-12-30.[dead link]
      ^ Turner, James (April 3, 2006). "FDA amends regulations that include sucralose as a non-nutritive sweetener in food.". FDA Consumer. Retrieved September 7, 2007.
      ^ Tate & Lyle Sucralose Production Facility Jurong Island, Singapore
      ^ U.S. Patent 5,498,709
      ^ Food and Drug Administration (2006). "Food labeling: health claims; dietary noncariogenic carbohydrate sweeteners and dental caries.". Federal Register 71 (60): 15559–15564. PMID 16572525.
      ^ Grotz, VL; Henry, RR; McGill, JB; Prince, MJ; Shamoon, H; Trout, JR; Pi-Sunyer, FX (2003). "Lack of effect of sucralose on glucose homeostasis in subjects with type 2 diabetes". Journal of the American Dietetic Association 103 (12): 1607–12. doi:10.1016/j.jada.2003.09.021. PMID 14647086.
      ^ FAP 7A3987, August 16, 1996. pp. 1–357. A 12-week study of the effect of sucralose on glucose homeostasis and HbA1c in normal healthy volunteers, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, U.S. FDA
      ^ Facts About Sucralose, American Dietetic Association, 2006.[dead link]
      ^ Ford, HE; Peters, V, Martin, NM, Sleeth, ML, Ghatei, MA, Frost, GS, Bloom, SR (2011 Apr). "Effects of oral ingestion of sucralose on gut hormone response and appetite in healthy normal-weight subjects". European journal of clinical nutrition 65 (4): 508–13. doi:10.1038/ejcn.2010.291. PMID 21245879.
      ^ Bannach, Gilbert; Rafael R. Almeida, Luis. G. Lacerda, Egon Schnitzler, Massao Ionashiro (2009 Dec). "Thermal stability and thermal decomposition of sucralose". Eclética Química 34 (4): 21–26. doi:10.1590/S0100-46702009000400002.
      ^ Sweetzfree is a clear liquid syrup base, highly concentrated, and made from 100% pure Sucralose in a purified water concentrate. http://www.sweetzfree.com/
      ^ Filipic, Martha Chow Line: Sucralose sweet for calorie-counters (for 10/3/04) Ohio State Human Nutrition article on sucralose
      ^ "CFR – Code of Federal Regulations Title 21". U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
      ^ "Comparison and Safety Ratings of Food Additives". Center for Science in the Public Interest.
      ^ "Nutrition Action Health Letter" (PDF). Center for Science in the Public Interest. 2008-05.
      ^ "Which additives are safe? Which aren't?". Center for Science in the Public Interest.
      ^ "Acceptable daily intake of sweeteners". Canadian Diabetes Association.
      ^ Goldsmith LA (2000). "Acute and subchronic toxicity of sucralose". Food Chem Toxicol 38 Suppl 2: S53–69. PMID 10882818.
      ^ "Sucralose". FDA Final Rule. United States: Food and Drug Administration.[dead link]
      ^ Frank, Genevieve. "Sucralose: An Overview". Penn State University.
      ^ "Toxicity of sucralose in humans: a review". Int. J. Morphol. 27 (1): 239–244. 2009.
      ^ Grotz VL, Munro IC (2009). "An overview of the safety of sucralose". Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 55 (1): 1–5. doi:10.1016/j.yrtph.2009.05.011. PMID 19464334.
      ^ Grice HC, Goldsmith LA (2000). "Sucralose--an overview of the toxicity data". Food Chem Toxicol 38 (Suppl 2): S1–6. doi:10.1016/S0278-6915(00)00023-5. PMID 10882813.
      ^ a b Baird, I. M., Shephard, N. W., Merritt, R. J., & Hildick-Smith, G. (2000). "Repeated dose study of sucralose tolerance in human subjects". Food Chemical Toxicology 38 (Supplement 2): S123–S129.. doi:10.1016/S0278-6915(00)00035-1. PMID 10882825.
      ^ Labare, Michael P; Alexander, Martin (1993). "Biodegradation of sucralose in samples of natural environments". Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 12 (5): 797–804. doi:10.1897/1552-8618(1993)12[797:BOSACC]2.0.CO;2.
      ^ Measurements of Sucralose in the Swedish Screening Program 2007, Part I; Sucralose in surface waters and STP samples[dead link]
      ^ Sötningsmedel sprids till miljön - Naturvårdsverket[dead link]
      ^ Browning, Lynnley (2008-09-02). "New Salvo in Splenda Skirmish". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
      ^ Abou-Donia, MB; El-Masry, EM; Abdel-Rahman, AA; McLendon, RE; Schiffman, SS (2008). "Splenda alters gut microflora and increases intestinal p-glycoprotein and cytochrome p-450 in male rats". J. Toxicol. Environ. Health Part A 71 (21): 1415–29. doi:10.1080/15287390802328630. PMID 18800291.
      ^ Daniells, Stephen (2009-09-02). "Sucralose safety 'scientifically sound': Expert panel".
      ^ Sasaki, YF; Kawaguchi, S; Kamaya, A; Ohshita, M; Kabasawa, K; Iwama, K; Taniguchi, K; Tsuda, S (2002-08-26). "The comet assay with 8 mouse organs: results with 39 currently used food additives". Mutation research 519 (1–2): 103–119. PMID 12160896.

Comment

WOW.......

sooooo what the heck all that mean to me? lol i feel like i take in to much, but all i drink is water and protein shakes (1 cup coffee on the weekend adn maybe some ice teas - weekends also) it seems to be in everything that does not have sugar or aspertam in it

Comment

Trust me... by the amount I take every day I would have felt some sides from it by now... it's safe...

Comment

Originally posted by xamo View Post
            Trust me... by the amount I take every day I would have felt some sides from it by now... it's safe...
            cool - im mostly worried about gaining fat

Comment

you won't

Comment

you won't
                i dont know i just started seeing some good results this last week with the belly fat........ i have been eating as clean as i can for 6 weeks now, and on test E and EQ and im pretty happy with whats happening and from what im told the EQ prolly not even in full force yet

Comment

I know.. bro I'm getting 8 shakes a day minimum.. and I haven't gain any fat frm it..

Comment

I know.. bro I'm getting 8 shakes a day minimum.. and I haven't gain any fat frm it..
                    WOW..... what kind of shake u going with ? im only on 2 a day... right after my workout i go with a propure 50 (50gs pro and 270 cal) then close to the end of the day i do a muscle milk light 30grm 210 cals??? its ok for now - always open to better stuff tho

Comment

I use MusclePharm Combat Powder, and Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex..

Comment

Working...
                      X