use the mirror, not the scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use the mirror, not the scale

its funny to me when newer guys who are trying to figure out their place in bodybuilding go by the scale as the gold measurement of success. first question i often get from younger guys is....well...the first is usually "how much do you bench?" lol, but that is often followed by "how much do you weigh?". i'm not the biggest guy, but i do have what i would consider a moderate level of development and in the past, i have had no problem being honest and telling them what i weigh. after i do, i usually am given a very specific look by the question asker. its a look of hard thought. you can see the gears turning behind their eyes, as they do the math to determine exactly how many pounds they have to gain to be my weight. then, no matter how much taller or fater they are than me, they like to fire back with something along the lines of, "so you're only (insert low number) pounds more than me!" what they're really thinking is " ok so when i gain (insert low number) pounds, i will look like you". they smile and walk away, filled with hope, thinking that all they need to do is run one more cycle and they will be "there" in 2-3months. what they aren't factoring in is muscle maturity. now, i must admit, there was a time that i functioned under the same flawed logic. i suppose many of is do in our early days under the iron. it doesn't take long though...maybe a couple yrs, to start understanding that the scale means very little compared to the mirror or a photo.

heres a beautiful shot of eduardo correa's tricep. he competes in the 202 lb division. yes, he isn't a really tall guy, but his physique is nothing short of amazing.

sam

sam1976
    Last edited by sam1976; 11-30-2011, 01:41 AM.
    if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

god i want that feathering!
    if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Comment

Im about 192 right now.. so if I can gain 10 more.. just kidding LOL

Comment

lol, yea right, i'm several pounds "better" than him at this point

Comment

Your absolutely right! Big SAM telling it like it is...hahahaha

Comment

It is funny, but I think we've all been there!!!
            The Rules At Juiced Muscle (everyone please read)
            http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...e-please-read)
            http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...please-read!!!
            Chat Box Talk And Rules
            http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...-Shoutbox-Talk
            No Soliciting Websites In Your Signatures
            http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...our-Signatures

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness!

Comment

Damn that dudes arem is sick...202..so if I lose thirty pounds..hahaha

Comment

I honesty, in the last year I have been 10 lbs lighter and 20 lbs heavier then I am now but I've never looked better.

Comment

lol i was gonna apply the joke looks like other people beat me to it and yeah i agree weight dont mean much apart from the obvious (if ur 120 ur a skinny mafacka if ur 260 ur a huge mafacka)
                  but hey thats just what i think and i'm a idiot so don't listen to me
                  Hackleech

Comment

Personally...I like the tale of the tape... Tape measure don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by mbig245 View Post
                      Personally...I like the tale of the tape... Tape measure don't lie.
                      as long as everything is in proportion. you can have a 22 inch arm but if you have a 38 inch waist, it isnt going to look as impressive. a middle weight bodybuilder can make a 16 inch arm look good if he has a small waist and knows how to pose.

Comment

It's funny though I look like Phil Heath in my Wife's mirror (gotta be the angle or lighting of it across the room) but I look like PeeWee Herman in mine?
                        "GYM + JUICE"

Comment

Working...
                        X