Getting lean, reps vs weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting lean, reps vs weight

That's a question I've always asked myself. In order to get lean, what would be most beneficial? Higher reps count with a lighter weight, or the opposite, a fewer reps with a heavier weight.

I've been working out since I was 16, hasn't been that long, 7 years, and I'm still learning as I go. However, everyone I have ever spoken to always told me this. If you want to get lean, do 18 to 20 reps with a lower weight.

Now that I think about it though, I have tried and have noticed that It doesn't have me push myself to my limits when while I do heavier weights and less reps, I do sweat my ass off to finish my sets.

So my question is, is that higher reps count true if you aim to get lean? Because if I were to follow common sense, I seem to spend a lot more energy doing heavy weights, which means more calories burnt so more fat burt with that.

Anyway... just wondering what you guys think.. personally I've a heavy powerlifter.. my routines mainly consists of deadlifts, squats, power and clean, and jerk etc... as well as Kipping pull ups...
    Ain't no use in lookin' down
    Ain't no discharge on the ground
    Ain't no use in lookin' back
    'Cause Jody's got your Cadillac
    Ain't no use in feelin' blue
    'Cause Jody's got your lady too

'high reps to get cut' is an old school myth. conditioning comes from diet and cardio. you have to be able to push some heavy weight for a respectable amount of reps in order to grow. if you want to keep that muscle while you're dieting, you need to continue pushing the same weights you pushed to get the size.
    if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Comment

Working...
    X