Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Sprinter Justin Gatlin Aiming for International Championship after Recovering from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Sprinter Justin Gatlin Aiming for International Championship after Recovering from

US track and field athlete Justin Gatlin wants to be back in international sports competitions after serving four years suspension for doping. Gatlin was suspended by IAAF, the international track and field body, for failing a steroid test in 2006. Just like with other professional athletes caught taking performance enhancing drugs, Gatlin?s return to the field was not easy. Many still doubts whether he has totally abandoned steroids and is now training as a clean athlete.

International Athletic Organizations Ignores Banned Athletes

Gatlin?s suspension ended July last year but he had only competed in minor competitions. Many athletic meet directors shun athletes who were sanctioned for doping and Gatlin is not exempted from that. Athletic meet directors in Europe for example, have a strict policy on athletes banned for more than two years. Even the UK sprinter Dwain Chambers was not spared from the policy. Chambers was also sanctioned for taking steroids and his return to European competitions was met with resistance.

Fortunately, the disgraced US sprinter got a break from the Prefontaine meet director Tom Jordan. The Prefontaine Classic was Gatlin?s debut in a major competition. Jordan told Reuters in an interview that Gatlin deserves to be given a second chance because he already paid his debt to society.

USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships

This weekend, Gatlin will try to get a new title in the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Ore. According to Citizen Times, Gatlin will be competing in the 100 and 200 meter dash. The top three finishers in these events will get the chance to compete in the IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, on August 27.

Gatlin?s record of 9.97 seconds for 100 meters in the Prefontaine Classic is a sign that the sprinter is now ready to compete in the international level. If he can grab the title in the IAAF World Championships, a shot at the 2012 London Olympics is not impossible.

Gatlin told the Citizen Times that he?s happy and focused on his training. ?It feels really good. It?s time to focus and get ready and prepare myself. Last year, I was more gracious than I was focused because I was so grateful to be back. But now, I?m turning over a new leaf. It?s time to get focused so I can do well and get more big races.? he said.

Renowned Coach Behind Gatlin?s Comeback

If Gatlin depended on steroids in 2006 to win races, the sprinter now relies on his coach. Sprint coach Brooks Johnson is helping Gatlin to be at his prime again. Right now, Gatlin ranked fourth in the 100 meters while he?s ranking fifth in the 200 meters with 20.20 seconds. The sprinter described his coach as an old-school kind of guy. ?He makes me feel like Rocky Balboa. He gives you a little bit of reinforcement ? but in a tricky way. He might put you down, but it?s really to put you up. He?s the kind of guy that, if he doesn?t say anything to you, there?s a problem,? said Gatlin.

Olympic Record Marred by Gatlin?s Use of Steroids

Justin Gatlin won for the country the gold medal in the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece. He was a champion in 100 and 200 meters outdoor championships and also won the World Championships in Helsinki Finland in 2005. But all of these achievements became questionable when he admitted that he used steroids.

Now, Gatlin assures the public that he won?t do the same mistakes again. ?I?m a completely different person now. It?s like riding a bike. I?m just making sure that I get my muscle memory back and can go out there and compete,? the sprinter said.
Working...
X