Cardio Adaptability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio Adaptability

Have an issue that I could use some advice on. I've been doing AM fasted cardio for fat loss with good results for a while but I keep getting less and less out of my workouts even though I keep working harder. I know that is in part because my cardiovascular system is getting more efficient but it's now at the point where the only way I can get my HR >120 is to really push it. Only thing that seems to work somewhat is HIIT but in order to do that my lower body takes a pounding making legs untrainable (in regards to heavy squats/straight leg deadlifts) for a bit. I've tried taking extended breaks and switching methods (incline treadmill, elliptical, bike) but no matter what I do I just can't seem to get as much out of my cardio sessions. I usually train 45-60 minutes AM fasted with glucose disposal agents and stims, usually eca.

I've even had this crazy idea of buying some cigarettes (I don't smoke anymore but used to) and smoking one before my workout to temporary make my lungs less efficient so my whole system has to compensate thereby increasing the workload. I haven't tried this yet as I think it's kind of out there but it was just a thought.

Anyone have any ideas and/or tips to share?

Just a thought, on heavy lifting days, why don't you train first. Your heartrate should increase if you are working hard enough. Also, Some athletes, especially runners have a lower resting metabolic rate( I've seen runners with rmr of <60bpm). This is a good thing in many cases, they can perform longer without tiring out so quickly. So if yours starts off low anyways, your cardiorespiratory endurance may be in a healthy place. Other Ideas are to wear a sweat suit, wear a weighted vest, put on massive layers while doing cardio to sweat. Cigarettes are a horrible idea. Sorry I don't have anything concrete. But I am sure someone else on the board will chime in.

Comment

I'm with the above comment. I was a cardio first person for awhile and kinda felt as if I'd hit a wall. Almost like you described. I switched up and trained first then went straight to cardio and have been doing this for a while. Yesterday when I jumped on the bike my heart rate was already in the 120's. I do find that if I try to not push it that my rate will actually start to decrease. So I have to keep a pretty good pace mixed in with a couple of 1 minute fast paced explosions to help raise it. I'm not strictly a bike cardio person either now I mix it up between bike treadmill elliptical and jogging in my neighborhood. I hope this or something else will work for you and keep you off the smokes. I'm with the above and think its a horrible idea! I mean you are definitely thinking out of the box but you would be opening yourself up to become addicted to those little slow killers. Good luck!
      manonmac1
      Last edited by manonmac1; 06-29-2013, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the above replies.

Thoughtful ideas and I agree the smokes are not a great idea. I used to perform my weight training first and then move towards my cardio but I personally found my strength and muscle suffered. Lately, I've been doing AM cardio and shorter, more intense PM strength workouts with good results (strength and muscle have shot up).

I may go back to performing cardio after my strength training but for shorter sessions (from 45/60 min to maybe 30). I like the idea of adding weight via a vest, I've priced them out but I was also thinking of going to an army surplus store and getting a backpack to put some rocks in for a treadmill road march (lol I'm thinking of the looks from all my gym members). This morning I cranked the treadmill up to 15% incline and walked at 3mph, got hr to 120 for ~45 minutes, was a decent workout.

Follow up question. In the case where my cardiovascular system has improved to handle the workload with a lower heart rate am I burning roughly the same amount of calories? I do expect to burn at least a little less calories with more efficiency but is it significant? I mean, I know my cardio system isn't cranking so hard but don't my muscles still need about the same amount of calories to function?

Comment

I just wanted to post a quick update in case anyone was interested:

I'm finding that getting my heart rate up is now becoming even more difficult. Can barely get it past 120 except with very hard cardio. This combined with my heart rate quickly returning to its normal 70-80 beats per minute seems to show that my cardiovascular system is becoming better conditioned, which is good.

I was taking with an experienced runner at my gym and asked about this and he related to me his experience. He stated that it was very normal for this to happen (which I kinda figured) and that he doesn't even measure his heart rate to gauge his workout effectiveness. He said "As long as I'm sweating, I know it's working". Lately, that has been my measuring tool to tell if my cardio is effective or not, as far as fat loss that is.

Comment

Working...
          X