Vanilla and Banana Pie Shaped Protein Muffins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanilla and Banana Pie Shaped Protein Muffins

"Pa, I want you to make me some eggs for breakfast (+/- please)... do NOT forget about THE BUTTER!!!!!!!" I used to request, scrap, DEMAND my eggs be served with melted butter on top :-D This as a child because, as I teenaged up and started growing a dietary conscience, the 'evils' of butter were authoritatively brought to the fore by our quote unquote beloved media so that butter = unhealthy = saturated fats = heart disease = horror = grrrr = boo-hoo-hoo. It's only recently that butter's blameless smile has begun shinning under the spotlight (I'm here speaking of the organic kind) and butter = lecithin, selenium, lautic acid, Vitamins A, K, D and E, bla bla bla. While I don't engage in the consumption of butter by the cupful, I often like adding a layer to my (protein) toast, a square to my (protein) pancakes, a tablespoon to some cakes. Though most of the time I completely forget about butter (after years of relegating it to the domains of the 'no, thank you'), sometimes I remember and in it goes. This is what happened here and, notice the macros -> nothing insalubrious and one hell of a taste boom.

Ingredients, all of which are blended together and baked for ~ 30 minutes at a 160 C (320 F) oven:
    1/2 cup of liquid egg whites
    1/2 cup of quinoa flakes (or instant oats?)
    2 tbsp of coconut flour (or ground almonds?)
    2 tsp of pea protein
    2 tsp of vanilla casein
    2 tbsp of whey protein (vanilla)
    2 tsbp of 0% Total Greek Yogurt
    1 tbsp of butter
    1/2 cup of milk (I used cartoned coconut milk)
    1/2 banana (or one)
    9 walnuts for the top.

Macros per 1/9: 89kcals, 5.8g carbos (1.5g sugars), 7g protein, 3.8g fat (1.2g sat) and 2g fiber.

That's it. They look like pies because I made them in discarded mince pie cases but you bite in and WHAT!? -> a muffin. In retrospect, it would have been nice to add a filling so that, as one bites in, one's expectations of a filling are confirmed instead of "waaaaiiiiit a seeeecond....". Feel free to therefore add one or to bake these guys in muffin cases or even a cake or bread mold, particularly if you're making this for someone that will feel misleaded and/or cheated when facing a pie and chewing a muffin ;-) Whatever shape you decide to bake them in, they turned out really yummm! Very vanillay, soft, and, well two thumbs up, great with coffee, and quickly devourable ;-)
    Ain't no use in lookin' down
    Ain't no discharge on the ground
    Ain't no use in lookin' back
    'Cause Jody's got your Cadillac
    Ain't no use in feelin' blue
    'Cause Jody's got your lady too
Working...
X