Protein Baked Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein Baked Alaska

This all began with "I wonder what would happen if one were to bake some protein fluff?" As soon as I thought about baked protein fluff, I thought about The Baked Alaska. Truth is, I've only made a Baked Alaska (the 'real' deal, with the sugar et al) once, or, rather, I tried to make one. It was a failure. Opening the oven door to remove it was like being in the Caribbean and opening the lid to a crate containing an igloo - I just watched it all melt down and collapse into a sludge of what-is-THAT. It was a wrong I never again quite tried to make right. Until now? Well... let's add a grain of salt to the idea that this is what anyone would call an 'authentic' Baked Alaska. How can it be, when it's sugarless, so low in fat and just PACKED with protein? This is better ;-) I had no idea how it would turn out to be honest. As I said on the facebook page when I first declared my intentions to give this a go, I saw this as a spectacular recipe in its potential to majorly fail. I felt the chances were stacked high against it working. I wrote that if it worked, the jaw would reach the floor. I felt it could go two ways: it would turn out to be a regrettable disaster OR it would be some sort of protein opus. Well, what is it? Ah, let's just say I'm still searching for my jaw underneath the house ;-)

There were five steps involved here. You could have a go at all five or, really, you could have a go at each one individually. It's up to you :-) (you could, for example, only make the ice cream or the brownies, you could make both and eat them together, you make the fluff and flash-bake it around the brownie (skipping the ice-cream), you could case the ice cream with the fluff and bake that, etc, etc.) It's all quite fun and full of possibilities, AAA!!! Here we go: Step 1. Make whey protein ice cream (ridiculously easy!); Step 2. Make protein brownies (which by the way were, I think, some of the nicest ones I've made - major nommmmmmm); Step 3. Once the brownies cool, top them with ice cream; Step 4. Make egg protein fluff and enclose the brownie + ice cream; Step 5. Bake it all on HIGH for no more than two minutes (you basically just want to cook the outside layer without melting the ice cream inside). Here's the recipe ingredients and directions:

Whey Protein Ice Cream: three ingredients, blended together, handchurned every 30 minutes for 2 hours.
    1 pack of quark (250g, you sub this with cottage cheese if you don't have access to quark)
    1 medium banana
    1/2 cup of of vanilla whey (I used this one)
    1/2 cup of milk (I used cartoned coconut but any will do)

Protein Brownies: blended together and baked for ~25 minutes at 160 C (320 F)
    1/2 cup of canned pumpkin
    1/2 cup of chocolate hemp protein powder
    1/2 cup of milk (again, I used cartoned coconut but any will do)
    1/4 cup of hulled hemp seeds (could sub with rolled oats or ground almonds)
    4 tbsp of 100% cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tbsp of unflavored casein (I used this one; you can use flavored too, it's up to you)
    1/2 tbsp of baking soda

Raspberry Protein Egg fluff: blended for a minute, whisked for three
    1/4 cup of raspberries
    1/4 cup of egg whites
    1/4 cup of vanilla whey

That's it. The brownie mixture above yields four big square muffins. I used just one for the Baked Alaska and, of the ice cream, I used only 1/4 of what the ingredients above yielded. As I mentioned, all you do is top the brownie with the ice cream (AFTER the brownie cools otherwise your ice cream will melt and you do NOT want that; I suggest here you freeze your brownie for a good 10 minutes so it's properly cold before you hat it with the ice cream) and then case it in the fluff and bake it. How was it? MADNESS! Absolute madness! See, the ice cream stays cold, the fluff is hot, the brownie is cool. The fluff melts and you get this kind of, well... you know when you make s'mores and the marshmallow melts? Yeah, that kind of texture - gooey, sticky, sweet, and yummay :-))))))))) Ah, I don't know what to say! I will probably edit this paragraph later to add more detail about this recipe because right now I have a work deadline for tomorrow and to be honest I am kind of in shock at how good this was; I was ready to begin this post by writing "this was a disaster but I tried."

Macros: for the the whole ice cream tub (it yields a good amount, good for two big servings): 559kcals, 60g protein, 38g carbos (26g sugars), 20g fat (10g sat) and 3.4 g fiber.

Macros: for one brownie out of four: 181kcals, 21g protein, 9g carbos (3.2g sugars), 7g fat (1.3g sat) and a nice 6g of fiber!

Macros: for one batch of egg fluff: 117kcals, 19g protein, 7g carbos (3.5g sugars), 1.7g fat and 3.2g fiber.

Macros: for one batch of the above Baked Alaska (i.e. 1/4 of the ice cream + 1/4 of the brownies + fluff): 430kcals, 54g protein, 25g carbos (13.2g sugars), 14g fat (4g sat) and 10g fiber :-)
    Ain't no use in lookin' down
    Ain't no discharge on the ground
    Ain't no use in lookin' back
    'Cause Jody's got your Cadillac
    Ain't no use in feelin' blue
    'Cause Jody's got your lady too

thats some serious amount of protein in some seriously tasty foods lol

Comment

Working...
    X