Pumpkin Protein Blinis with Smoked Mackerel and Hummus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin Protein Blinis with Smoked Mackerel and Hummus

It's a recurrent scene at cocktail parties, weddings, conference dinners, etc. There I am, holding a glass of whatever (usually a wine I'm trying to convince myself I actually quite like or a bit of champagne I'm harrowingly trying to successfully sip through). Small talk, bla bla bla, more small talk, bla, and then, suddenly, BOOM! there it is: the tray of hors d'oeuvres making its way around the room. Oh! Joy of joys! This is the tricky part: looking unmoved - appearing calm, cool, and collected. See, my view is that one shouldn't look too excited about the hors d'oeuvres. One should remain casual, try to really focus on the conversation and then slowly and inconspicuously push all parties closer and closer to the man (or woman) with The Tray. I just think, what's not to love about them? Creativity blossoms in the land of the hors d'oeuvres - anything goes. This is why, sometimes, I love to have a meal of just tiny little bites of randomness, like these blinis or these fellows back here (or these or here). Something about being able to eat the whole of one thing in one single bite...

Ingredients - blended together and nonstick fried:

1/2 cup of egg whites
    1 tbsp of coconut flour
    1 tbsp of fitness fiber
    1 tbsp of canned pumpkin
    1/8 cup of pea protein

That's it. Now, you may be thinking "come on, woman, those are mini pancakes! why not just call them that?" Well, see, I find these guys falling more under the blini category than the mini pancake category. Why? Mostly because of their consistency, overall texture and mild flavor really. I know that blinis involve yeast et al but I still find that these belong to the same family. Whatever you choose to call them at the end though, you can top them with all kinds of stuff, e.g. cheese, smoked salmon, humus, avocado, pate, ham, etc. The mix above is very mild. You can add soy sauce to the mix, mustard, nutritional yeast or, well, anything to give it an extra umphhh if your topping will be milder than say, my smoked mackerel + hummmmmmus :-)

Macros per eight (without toppings): 229kcals, 34g protein, 17g carbs (3.5g sugars), 3.4g fat (2g sat) and 13.5g fiber.
    Ain't no use in lookin' down
    Ain't no discharge on the ground
    Ain't no use in lookin' back
    'Cause Jody's got your Cadillac
    Ain't no use in feelin' blue
    'Cause Jody's got your lady too
Working...
X