Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet Potato Pizza (is this the best low-cal / gluten-free pizza base ever?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato Pizza (is this the best low-cal / gluten-free pizza base ever?)

The idea was Dom's who, over on facebook, asked me about making a pizza base using buckwheat, egg whites, and sweet potato. The idea sounded intriguing and I was set on trying it out. I made the batter this morning so that, when I got back from the gym, I could just top, grill and devour it :-D As I mixed all the ingredients together though, I thought the 'dough' needed a bit more body so I added some coconut flour. Ding ding, ooooh yessss!! Here it is. Dom, you beast, what a winner! Thank you!!

Ingredients

1 medium cooked sweet potato (to cook my sweet potatoes I usually just wash them, wrap them in foil, and bake them on high heat until they're soft and pokable with a fork, knife, chopstick of whatever) (150g)
    1/2 cup of egg whites (103g)
    1/4 cup of buckwheat flour (34g)
    1 tbsp of coconut flour (10g)

I blended the above, divided the mixture into two, and baked one at a time on a silicone cake mould at 170 C (338F) for about 15 minutes (until it was golden). That's it :-D Now, the topping you see in the pic was fantastic so I'm going to pass that on too. I basically just spread 2 tbsp of tomato puree, added a sliced one mushroom, a few slices of leek, a couple tbsp of mature cheddar and parsley. I also brushed a tiny bit of extra olive oil around the edges (it adds a really nice uhmmmph to the pizza). Finally, I just grilled it on high for about 5-10 minutes and voila. The result was simply outwordly, ffffffffffuf!!!! See, the edges get really nice and crunchy and the whole thing together has such a gorgeous sweet potatoness that, together with the cheese and the whole kabooooooom of the toppings, ah! just sets one off to pizza heaven. Definitely try it :-))))

Macros per 1 pizza base out of 2 (without toppings because you can top them with whatever): 162kcals, 10g protein, 27g carbos (5g sugars), 1.5g fat (0.5g sat) and 5.5g fiber!

[PS - I know there's no protein powder IN the recipe but I really couldn't not upload it. There's egg whites though so hey, it counts ;-)]
    Ain't no use in lookin' down
    Ain't no discharge on the ground
    Ain't no use in lookin' back
    'Cause Jody's got your Cadillac
    Ain't no use in feelin' blue
    'Cause Jody's got your lady too
Working...
X