X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benson Henderson Seeking Fight With Georges St-Pierre

Benson Henderson Seeking Fight With Georges St-Pierre
    By Andy Ravens - Dec 8, 2015

Former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson is in a weird position right now. Henderson completed his UFC contract in his latest bout, which was a win over Jorge Masvidal at UFC Fight Night 79. He has already stated in past interviews that he plans to test free agency (most notably Bellator MMA) to see how much money he can get. However, Henderson would like to stay in the UFC if the money is right.

In his last bout, he left his gloves in the Octagon and many wondered why he did that. The reason is now known.

Henderson appeared on Monday’s episode of The MMA Hour and explained that he did that in an attempt to get a fight with former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, who is currently taking a break from the sport. It’s well known by now that“GSP” did a six-week training camp. Once that camp was over, he would decide if he is able to comeback to MMA at the age of 34. GSP has yet to announce his decision if he will or will not be coming back to the sport he once ruled.

Henderson feels that he should fight GSP in his possible return.

“Was that a mystery? I didn’t think it was a mystery. I heard there were rumors about Georges St-Pierre coming back and how the guys he faces off against have to have impressive performances. I was trying to have an impressive enough performance to warrant facing off against Georges St-Pierre. I think I’ve always wanted to prove myself as the best fighter on the planet. No ifs, ands or buts about it and I have a long way to go.”

Henderson (23-5) is currently on a two-fight winning streak. In his last five bouts, he’s 4-2.

“I know I have to work my butt off. And I want to prove that, back it up by squaring off against perhaps the greatest welterweight in UFC history in Georges St-Pierre. I moved up to 170 now, so I heard he was training or thinking about fighting again. I don’t know the truth to any of that it’s all kind of rumors, but that’s what I was talking about if my performance was impressive or not.”

Do you think this fight will happen? Let us know in the comments.

Working...
X