X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Squat 80 Day Cycle with RTS

Dr Squat 80 Day Cycle with RTS
    by Mike Tuchscherer

One of the people I respect most in Powerlifting is Dr. Fred Hatfield. He is a lifter who not only was very strong and talented, but was also willing to engage his brain and commit to his craft in a way that not many (any?) other lifters can duplicate. The guy went and LIVED in Soviet Russia so he could learn more about they trained athletes for cryin’ out loud! The result of this unprecedented blend of physical and mental work was a lifter who was far ahead of his time.
    One of Dr. Squat’s standby routines – one that he recommends all lifters start out with – is the 80 Day Cycle. If you have never seen it before, you can see it in its original context here. What I would like to do is take the 80 day cycle that Dr. Hatfield has written and use it as a basis for an RTS program. You can use this program in your own training or use it as a tool to learn to better program your own training. Without further ado…

Day 1

Bench: x3 @9, 6-9% Fatigue
    Squat: x2 @7, 4-6% Fatigue
    Bench: 120% Hold x8sec, 3 sets

Day 3

Deadlift: x3 @9, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 6

Squat: x3 @9, 6-9% Fatigue
    Bench: x2 @7, 4-6% Fatigue
    Squat: 120% Hold x8sec, 3 sets

Day 9

Deadlift: x5 @9, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 11

Bench: x4 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 13

Deadlift: x4 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 16

Squat: x4 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 19

Day 21

Bench: x5 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 23

Deadlift: x5 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 26

Squat: x5 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 29

Day 31

Bench: x6 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 33

Deadlift: x6 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 36

Squat: x6 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 39

Deadlift: x5 @10, 6-9% Fatigue

Day 41

Bench: x2 @9, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 43

Deadlift: x2 @9, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 46

Squat: x2 @9, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 49

Day 51

Bench: x2 @9, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 53

Deadlift: x3 @10, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 56
    Squat: x3 @10, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 59

Day 61

Bench: x2 @10, 4-6% Fatigue
    Deadlift: x2 @10, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 66

Squat: x2 @10, 4-6% Fatigue
    Deadlift: x5 @9, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 71

Bench: x2 @10, 4-6% Fatigue
    Deadlift: x2 @10, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 76

Squat: x2 @10, 4-6% Fatigue

Day 80 (Wednesday prior to contest)

Competition on Saturday

This was not an easy program to convert. First, there is the basic problem with percentage programming. Not everyone responds to percentages the same way. Then, most percentage programs attempt to estimate your progress along the program by steadily increasing the percentage used for a given number of reps or gradually increasing the number used as a 1RM to base all other loading from. This program uses both methods concurrently. That makes for a conversion to RPE difficult to estimate. However, if you look at the program in the original context, you can see where I came up with the above schedule quite easily. And it’s okay if it doesn’t perfectly emulate the original 80 day cycle. It is only supposed to be based on it.

Problems aside, there’s clearly plenty to learn from this. Dr. Hatfield is clearly not afraid to have the athlete work hard and he has several things that work, but for whatever reason seem to have gone out of fashion in the strength world. Things like deadlifting for reps, plenty of volume, and static holds are a mainstay of the program. He is not very clear about assistance work, so add supplemental exercises as you see fit.

So there you have it. If you decide to give the above cycle a try, I would love to hear about your results with it. Please feel free to email me using the website’s contact form or, even better, make a post on the forum and tell us all what you thought!

My utmost gratitude goes to the creators of this remarkable website for their unwavering commitment to Pokemon Infinite Fusion providing a seamless browsing experience and a wealth of valuable information.

Comment

I have successfully completed the 80-day cycle and would be happy to share my build now gg results and experience with anyone interested.

Comment

Please keep me updated. This site has a wealth of information that I found really intriguing. Thank you for your excellent coreball post; I look forward to reading more from you in the future.

Comment

Really interesting breakdown of the Dr. Squat 80 Day Cycle with RTS! I've been intrigued by both powerlifting and Monkey Mart lately, so seeing these insights on program design is quite enlightening. Can't wait to incorporate some of these principles into my training routine. Kudos to the author for diving deep into the science!

Comment

Working...
          X