Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Building Stretching Routines

Body Building Stretching Routines

Of all aspects of bodybuilding training, stretching is the one part that is most often ignored by the majority of people.

However, when stretching is properly integrated into a weight training program it can actually speed up your muscle growth.

Of all aspects of bodybuilding training,stretching is the one part that is most often ignored by the majority of people. It is just one of those things that seems to get pushed off to the side as not that important. You probably say to yourself in the back of your mind "I know I should stretch... blah, blah, blah... but why bother? I just want to get big and muscular. And besides I don't want to look like some skinny yoga master."

Standing Elevation Quad Stretch

Well, one thing you probably didn't realize is that when stretching is properly integrated into a weight training program it can actually speed up your muscle growth. In this article I'm going to outline several unique stretching exercises that are designed to stretch the connective tissue which surrounds the muscles, and there by expand the fascia and enable the muscles to grow bigger and stronger.

Connective Tissues

The connective tissues that surround the muscles are very tough and hug the muscle fibers tight. This can actually constrict expansion and growth. For muscle hypertrophy to occur the surrounding fascia needs to be stretched and become more pliable in order to give the muscle fibers room enough to expand grow bigger.

Even if you haven't seriously focused on stretching before, the muscle mass that you have built up to this point came about from the stretching and expanding of the muscles encasing tissue. During your workouts when blood is being pumped into the muscles, the surrounding connective tissues are being stretched, that's why you get that tight feeling we call "the pump".

The ideal time to stretch for increasing muscle mass is right after you've trained a particular body part and the muscles are "pumped up" and feeling tight. At this stage the connective tissues are already being stretched from the blood volume in the muscles, and then by manually stretching the muscles as well, you get a double whammy effect and this really increases the muscle fibers growth potential.

Another key benefit that stretching provides is that it improves the shape of the muscles. Expanding the fascia and connective tissue pulls the muscles apart and enhances separation.

Let's Get Down To Business

There are basically two types of stretching that you can do to expand the fascia and surrounding connective tissue, active stretching with weights and static stretching.

Active Stretching With Weights

Active Stretching with weights is where you include exercises in your routine that work the muscles in the fully stretched range of motion. Some good examples of this include:

• Incline Dumbbell Flyes For Chest
    • Dent Arm Dumbbell Pullover for Lats
    • Standing Overhead Barbell Triceps Extention for Triceps
    • Preacher Curl for Biceps
    • Barbell Shrug for Shoulders/Traps
    • Stiff Legged Barbell Deadlift for Hamstrings/Lower Back
    • Barbell Lunges for the Quads
    • Standing Calf Raises for Calves

Each of these exercises allow you to lower the weight all the way down and really feel a deep stretch in the muscles at the bottom of each rep. To really emphasis the stretch you can hold the bottom position of each rep for a couple seconds while you do these exercises in your workouts.

Static Stretching

Static stretching is the more traditional form of stretching that most people are familiar with. For example, bending over and touching your toes is a good static stretch for the hamstrings and lower back. With static stretching you want to go to the point of discomfort and then hold the stretch for 30-60 seconds.

Ease into it at first, don't rush into it and push yourself to the point of excruciating pain and risk pulling or tearing the muscles. As you become more accustomed to stretching your pain threshold will improve and you'll be able to hold the stretches longer and stretch deeper.

Here are some static stretches that you can do at the end of each bodypart workout.

Chest/Shoulders/Biceps Stretch

Extend your arm and hold a pole or some other sturdy stationary object with one hand. Then rotate your body away while keeping your posture upright. Keep going until you feel a good stretch in the chest,shoulders, and biceps. Hold this for 30-60 seconds and then repeat with the other arm. Do this stretch at least twice for each side.

Upper Body Stretch

This stretch is quite simple, just grab a chin up bar and hang from it for as long as your grip will hold out. You'll pretty much feel the stretch throughout the entire upper torso. You can repeat several times with different grips (i.e. wide, narrow, underhand, overhand, etc.). This is one of my personal favorite stretches that I do often.

Lats/Chest Stretch

Grab a bar or machine handle that is about waist high. Simply extend back as shown in the picture until you feel a good stretch in the lats and chest. Hold this for 30-60 seconds, take a quick rest and then repeat again.

Front Delts Stretch

Similar to the previous exercise, using a bar or machine handle that is waist high, grab it from behind, palms facing backwards, and step forward until your feel the stretch in your front deltoids. Hold this for 30-60 seconds, take a quick rest and then repeat again.

Triceps/Lats Stretch

Extend both arms overhead, then bend one arm down behind your head and grab your elbow with the opposite hand.

Pull your elbow until you feel the stretch in your triceps and lat. Hold this for 30-60 seconds and then repeat with the other arm. Do this stretch at least twice for each side.

Quads Stretch

Using a leg extension or seated leg curl machine, set the foot roller pad so that it is just lower then the height of your butt.

Put the pin in the full weight stack so that the pad doesn't move. Then hook your foot over the pad as shown in the picture. And lean back and down until you feel the stretch throughout the quads. Hold this for 30-60 seconds and then repeat with the other leg. Do this stretch at least twice for each side.

Hamstrings Stretch

Extend your leg on a weight machine, rack, or some other object that is a bit higher then waist height. Straighten your leg and lean forward until you feel the stretch in the hamstrings. Try to grab your toes if you flexible enough, if not then just reach out as far as you can. Hold this for 30-60 seconds and then repeat with the other leg. Do this stretch at least twice for each side.

Lower Back/Hamstrings Stretch

This is pretty straight forward, just bend over with your legs straight and touch your toes. Hold this for 30-60 seconds, take a quick rest and then repeat again.

Conclusion

Well there you have it... some simple stretches that you can incorporate into your workouts. The way you would do them is after you train a particular bodypart you would go through the above list of stretches and perform the ones that stretch the muscles you just worked. You DO NOT have to do each and every stretch after every workout. Just stretch the muscles that you trained. And then as you go through your workout cycle you'll train and stretch each and every muscle group.

The actual time commitment to doing these stretches is minimal we are only talking about 5-10 minutes at most at the end of your weight training. But I can guarantee you that if do these stretches on a regular basis you'll see noticeable improvements in your muscle fullness and separation within the next 6-8 weeks.

STRETCHES FOR MMA TRAINING

• Perform the following dynamic stretches, but do not approach full range of motion.
    • 30 seconds of arm-swings front to back and side to the side (change direction)
    • 30 seconds of hip circles, change direction half way.
    • 30 seconds of leg-swings front to back and to the side.

The stretching program

Perform the following stretches, in this order. Hold each stretch to a maximal tolerable point, but you should not experience pain, and be sure to follow the instructions in the image.

F.I.S.T.
    Last edited by F.I.S.T.; 07-24-2015, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Comment

Standing Hamstring Stretch

• [*=center]Stand in front of a raised object (about hip height) and place your foot on it. (I've used a Smith machine in the past as it can adjust to various heights).

• [*=center]Bend your opposite knee and press down gently on your thigh.

• [*=center]Extend and lower your hips back as if sitting in a chair.

• [*=center]Make sure to keep your heel grounded.

Scorpion Stretch

• [*=center]Lie face down on the floor.

• [*=center]Create a straight line with your shoulders by stretching your arms with your palms facing the floor.

• [*=center]Raise your left leg and bring your heel to the opposite side of your lower back.

• [*=center]Hold your leg at the ankle with your left hand and pull the heel toward your butt. Make sure to keep your foot flexed.

• [*=center]Bring the leg back to starting position and repeat with your right leg.

American Splits

Start by standing upright.

• [*=center]Placing your hand for support, walk your legs out to the side as far as possible.

Chinese Splits

• [*=center]Start by standing upright.

• [*=center]Place your hands on the floor for support and extend one leg forward and one back.

Wall Inner Thigh Stretch

• [*=center]Face a wall and spread your legs out as wide as possible

• [*=center]Slide closer to the wall while spreading your legs wider.

• [*=center]The greater your level of flexibility, the closer your chest will be to the wall.

F.I.S.T.
        Last edited by F.I.S.T.; 07-24-2015, 01:21 AM.

Comment

You are a start F.I.S.T.
          . That's why I love it here....

Comment

F.I.S.T. you are definatky the man with the information!! I agree with frandman that's why I love it here as well!! So much knowledgeable information!! You have helped me so much since being here!!
            GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

Comment

Thank you very much guys.I truly appreciate it.Actually honored by the support.Hey guys,thats what these boards are supposed to be about,all of us helping each other and spreading information and knowledge.Too many boards have lost that today and its sad.JM has a great family here and I love it.

I am a sponge for knowledge and am always looking to learn more each day and I love others who share the same quest and am always honored to help in that quest.

Thanks again my online brothers.

Comment

So yesterday I trained legs and I start to create a Streaching routine ...as I was having problems recovering after workouts and I believe that if proper Streaching it's done after weight training.... It will speed recovery
                I tried yesterday many exercises for Streaching legs and this are the best I found
                Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437790755220.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	153726Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437790765757.jpg
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	153727Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437790781461.jpg
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	153728Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437790793592.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	153729Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437790803409.jpg
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	153730

Comment

Glad this is up! I need to stretch more in the mornings I can't even touch my toes lol

Comment

I did biceps triceps Saturday
                    This is the stretches I found for biceps
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093128771.jpg
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	153732Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093146272.jpg
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	153733

Comment

TricepsClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093255332.jpg
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	153734Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093264835.jpg
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	153735Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093274467.jpg
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	153736

Comment

Monday I did chest and this are the streaches I found the bestClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093448497.jpg
ID:	153737

Comment

And today back Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093616448.jpg
ID:	153738Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093628958.jpg
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	153739Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438093638002.jpg
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	153740

Comment

And traps

Comment

Awesome additions Frandman.Thanks for posting them.

Any of you guys have any particular stretches that you utilize and are not listed here,please feel free to post them up.

Comment

Working...
                              X