Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SARM Andarine S4 had been detected in a race horse in Australia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SARM Andarine S4 had been detected in a race horse in Australia.

Trainer Stuart Gower is dismayed at the turn of events and is still trying to get his head around the disqualification of Saturday Sorcerer (pictured). Picture: Helen Orr

A SHATTERED Stuart Gower is resigned to losing the Darwin Cup but remains determined to protect his reputation and livelihood after confirmation of Saturday Sorcerer’s positive swab.

The Morphettville trainer will front a Thoroughbred Racing Northern Territory inquiry on Thursday after his horse Saturday Sorcerer was found to have the banned substance Andarine S4 in its system after winning both the Darwin Cup and Metric Mile.

After the ‘A’ sample came back positive this month, the ‘B’ sample has confirmed the presence of the drug.

Gower is dismayed at the turn of events and is still trying to get his head around it.

“I am actually dumbfounded and gutted,” Gower told The Advertiser.

“I’ve had a few sleepless nights because I don’t know what’s going on and I don’t know what to expect.

“I’ve had a little bit of legal advice but until I go up and see them, I don’t really know.

“I’ve never actually had a positive swab in 23 years of training so I’ve got no idea how it works.”

Gower initially found out about the positive drug test on the eve of the Balaklava Cup and decided to scratch Saturday Sorcerer from the Listed event just in case.

“I had no idea it was in his system (in Darwin), so it was more precaution,” he said.

Short-lived joy: Saturday Sorcerer with jockey Paul Denton after winning the Darwin Cup.

Short-lived joy: Saturday Sorcerer with jockey Paul Denton after winning the Darwin Cup.

“I don’t want to have positive swabs up there and another one down here when I don’t know what the stuff is.”

The substance, which is taken orally, is designed to help create lean muscle mass.

Trainer Stuart Gower and Saturday Sorcerer.

Trainer Stuart Gower and Saturday Sorcerer.

Gower, who could face a lengthy ban if found guilty, says he had to do a web search on the drug on to find out what it is.

“As far as what I’ve been able to search, there’s only been one other positive swab to the stuff and it was in 2010 or 2011.

“It was with two Jamaican sprinters and I think they got caught with a bottle of it in their fridge,” he said.

“On my research on it, I’d have to give the horse a litre and a half of it every day for six weeks to maybe get 6-8kg of muscle density at the end of it and it would cost me $18,000. Why would I do it?”

Despite protesting his innocence, Gower expects the $200,000 Darwin Cup and the Metric Mile, to be taken away from Saturday Sorcerer and connections.

“It doesn’t matter if I’m innocent or not, they’re still going to take the race away from us,” he said.

“I’ve never known one to turn up positive and not lose the race.”

The Kym Healy-trained Pretty Blonde finished second in the Darwin Cup and is likely to be declared the winner.
Working...
X