X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenrry Mejia Popped For Steroids Again, Doesn't Bother With An Excuse

Jenrry Mejia Popped For Steroids Again, Doesn't Bother With An Excuse
    Filed to: jenrry mejia 7/28/15

Mets closer Jenrry Mejia was suspended 80 games for testing positive for stanozolol in April. While he didn’t appeal his suspension, Mejia professed his innocence, releasing a statement that said in part “I can honestly say I have no idea how a banned substance ended up in my system.”

His suspension was completed in early July, and Mejia has since given up zero runs in 7 1/3 innings. But his successful return proved to be short-lived, as Mejia was suspended 162 games today for a second positive test, this time for stanozolol AND boldenone. Mets GM Sandy Alderson was perplexed that Mejia got caught again:

“Not surprisingly, there’s a tremendous amount of disappointment — I think to some extent anger, to some extent amazement — that this could happen so soon after a previous suspension was completed. And some sadness,” Alderson said. “This is having a tremendously adverse effect on a very promising major league career, and that’s a shame. But the rules are the rules. We support the rules. This is the consequence of making bad choices.”

And what did Mejia have to say in his defense this time on Twitter?

No statement will be coming from Jenrry Mejia.
    11:02 PM - 28 Jul 2015
Working...
X