Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melbourne police officers pull up Arnold Schwarzenegger for riding a bike without a h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne police officers pull up Arnold Schwarzenegger for riding a bike without a h

Melbourne police officers succeeded where scores of action movie villains have failed when they stopped Hollywood tough guy Arnold Schwarzenegger in his tracks on Monday.

The intervention began after photographs began circulating on social media of the American actor, bodybuilder and politician riding one of Melbourne's blue share bikes.

In one picture, "The Governator" is shown giving the "hasta la vista" to motorists as he rode along Elizabeth Street towards Flinders Street Station.

Arnold Schwarzenegger riding on Elizabeth Street on Monday. Photo: Nick Unsworth/Facebook
    The Terminator and Predator star was wearing bike-matching blue shorts, but not a bicycle helmet.

It it compulsory to wear one in Victoria and failure to do so can result in a $146 fine.
    And it wasn't long until Victoria Police caught up with the 67-year-old, who Senior Constable Robert Gillson pulled over in Southbank about 2.30pm.

"I saw a group of cyclists riding ahead of me and we just went up to do a routine intercept," Senior Constable Gillson told Fairfax Media on Tuesday. "Then we noticed that Arnold Schwarzenegger was in the crowd. "We spoke to him briefly and had a little chat with him about the reason why I pulled him over."

Senior Constable Gillson decided not to fine the action star, instead directing him to the nearest 7-Eleven to buy a helmet for $5.
    "He was very likeable and very approachable," Senior Constable Gillson said. "He stated that his father was a policeman, so there was very much mutual respect there."

The constable said he often chose to educate tourists from countries without helmet laws rather than fine them.
    Schwarzenegger is a keen cyclist, and is often seen riding a bike in the cities he visits.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	arnie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	157493
Working...
X