USADA Imposed Lifetime Ban on Pro Cyclist Zajicek for EPO and HGH Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USADA Imposed Lifetime Ban on Pro Cyclist Zajicek for EPO and HGH Use

The lifetime ban given to American cyclist Phillip Zajicek is a proof that the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is serious in cleaning American sports with performance enhancing drugs. The USADA chief announced early this month that the professional cyclist was banned for life after he violated the anti-doping policies for the third time.

Purchased EPO and HGH from China

Zajicek was first sanctioned in 2004 when a drug test resulted in an adverse analytical finding for cathine, a stimulant. Last year he was caught in possession of HGH but was able to get away with the sanction. The US anti-doping agency appealed the case and finally they were able to force Zajicek admits his doping. The professional cyclist admitted that he purchased and used EPO and human growth hormone manufactured by a Chinese Pharma company.

USADA also found out that Zajicek tried to cover up his involvement in doping by providing false testimony at the American Arbitration Panel hearing and encouraged another witness to do the same.

These evidences led to the lifetime ban of the cyclist. ?When he was caught he basically attempted to cover up his violations, and under the WADA code there is article 2.8 that basically says a cover up can be a separate offence. That allowed us to add a third offence that brings us to the lifetime ban of ineligibility,? USADA CEO Travis Tygart told Cyclingnews.

Forfeiture of Winnings

Aside from the lifetime ban from cycling which already started this month, Zajicek will pay $5000 fine. He will also forfeit all his titles, winnings and points obtained from April 24, 2007 up to the present.

The 32-year-old cyclist confirmed the sanction but it seems there was no resentment on his part. ?Today, I have accepted a lifetime ban from the sport of cycling. I have had an enjoyable and successful career which has taken me to all corners of the globe and I?m grateful for everything cycling has given me. It?s time to walk away from the sport and begin the next chapter of my life with the tremendous support of my wife, family and friends behind me,? Zajicek told the CyclingNews.

Zajicek Linked to Joe Papp?s Steroid Distribution

Online reports revealed that Phillip Zajicek was one of the clients of another cycling champion Joe Papp who already pleaded guilty for distributing human growth hormone and EPO. Papp acted as the middleman for a Chinese pharmaceutical distributor Shandong Kexing Bioproducts.

At least 187 international athletes from a variety of sports purchased from Papp from September 2006 to September 2007. It was estimated that the proceeds of the purchases was around $80,000. The steroid purchases were mainly human growth hormones (Jintrophin brand) and EPO (Eposino brand). The sentencing is scheduled on July and Papp could face up to 10 years in prison for the two counts of conspiracy to distribute performance enhancing drugs.

Phillip Zajicek is the second cyclist sanctioned for his involvement in the doping ring. The USADA handed a two-year suspension on another American cyclist Jonathan Chodroff for purchasing and using EPO and HGh from the said Chinese company.

USADA Wants To End Drug Culture in Cycling

Tygart is hoping that the drug culture in cycling will be stopped because of these developments. ?This is another unfortunate example of the drug culture that has infiltrated some parts of pro cycling and it?s also the culture that encourages the athletes to not only cheat but when confronted to lie and abuse the process in order to avoid being detected through the legal process,? he told the CyclingNews.
Working...
X