Milk Thistle and Fish Oil dose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk Thistle and Fish Oil dose?

Didn't know what forum to post this in, this seemed to make the most since.

I am about to start another cycle. I had blood work again and my liver enzymes are slightly high. Most likely Hep C, but not positive. I have had blood work done many times in the past 10 years and I would have slightly high levels but then would be down the next time. It was expected that it was from high drug and alcohol use and then after time clean it would be down, or that my body is "beating" the Hep C. Never had specific Hep C test, they would of had to do a liver biopsy, but because my levels would go down they wouldn't do it because to them it wasn't necessary.

Anyway, I just had work done again and they are slightly high again, and I am about to start another cycle. Every where I look I get very contradicting dose information on milk thistle. I wanted to get some input from anyone here. I have seen 175 mg daily to 1 g daily. That is a pretty big gap. Also, what's a good dose time? Through out the day or at once? I see a lot saying take it at night?

I also figured I would ask about my fish oils while I am posting a thread. I have been taking Omega3MEGA. It doesn't give me the fish taste that most straight fish oils give me. It has 420 mg of EPA and 300 mg of DHA. I have always taken 1 in the morning, but wondering if I should take 2 a day. Same questions, time, amount, etc?
    Knuckles
    Last edited by Knuckles; 09-24-2013, 01:51 PM.

Milk Thistle Basics
    Milk thistle’s reddish-purple flowers top stems that can grow up to 8 feet high. Thanks to its tendency to take over and kill surrounding plants, it’s classified as a noxious weed, yet milk thistle is edible. The stems, leaves, flowers and even the seeds were used in English cuisine, notes New York University. Milk thistle contains flavonoids that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The active ingredient -- silymarin -- includes several flavonoids extracted from the seeds, according to the University of Colorado.

Benefits
    Taking silymarin together with an antihistamine may improve symptoms from allergies better than the antihistamine alone, according to Medline Plus. Studies in animals indicate that milk thistle may protect the liver from toxins, but in human studies the results show conflicting evidence, according to a review of the research on New York University's Langone Medical Center website. The most promising benefit is for treating alcoholic hepatitis and reducing the death rate from cirrhosis, but more studies are needed to verify milk thistle’s role. Silymarin had a moderate anti-inflammatory effect in patients with chronic hepatitis C, reported a study in the July 2013 issue of the “Journal of Viral Hepatitis.”
    Recommendations
    If you want to use milk thistle for allergies, you should take 140 milligrams of silymarin three times daily according to MedlinePlus. The standard dose is 200 milligrams taken two to three times daily, according to New York University. Your body absorbs milk thistle better if the extract is bound with phosphatidylcholine. If your supplements contain this extra ingredient, then the dosage is 100 to 200 milligrams twice a day. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not regulate supplements, so look for the “USP Verified” mark. It indicates the supplements were tested by the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention, and they’re verified to contain the type and amount of ingredients stated on the label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

Omega3 is taken 600 to 1000mg depending body weight
    RonnyT
    Last edited by RonnyT; 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I take my fish oil through out the day. First thing in the morning with my other orals then again at lunch and with dinner. If I'm on gear and taking split doses of orals I'll take fish oil when I take the orals to give them something to hold on to. That might be over kill but it's just the way I do it. As far as liver support I've taken milk thistle and liv52 while on cycle and I've ran cycles without them and my blood work showed my liver values were about the same with or without! I didn't really see where it made a difference. I'm by no means saying it doesn't have its uses and it may work different in different people but it did nothing for me personally so I don't ever take it anymore. Just one less thing I've got to remember to take!lol I do remember taking 2 pills twice a day once in the morning once in the evening of the thistle. If I remember right it added up to a little under a g a day but not quite a whole g! If you read you definitely find different numbers. The last study I read said 420mg's was a good detox dosage. So who really knows. I went with double that because I liked to put them other real good pills in my system as well. You know them feel no pain pills. I felt like the extra couldn't hurt. Good luck with the liver that's a battle I don't want to have to fight!
      manonmac1
      Last edited by manonmac1; 09-25-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas

Comment

Working...
        X