Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singles or doubles or sets for optimal muscle-gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singles or doubles or sets for optimal muscle-gain?

Many bodybuilders are still confused about building EXTREME muscle size that you see on these massive guy lining the Mr. Olympia.
    While most pro bodybuilders are strong, they DO NOT train for strength to get BIG. If you don’t believe it, check out this quote from one of the greatest–and strongest–Mr. Olympias of all time, Ronnie Coleman). You may have seen Coleman benching 500 and pulling 800-pound deadlifts on his videos–more for show than to grow:
    “I know I was doing singles and doubles in those lifts you saw me do, but that was mainly for the DVD to make it more exciting. Usually I always did my sets in the 10-12 rep range, because that’s what made me grow best.”
    What about four-time Mr. O Jay Cutler? Well, he has some gargantuan wheels, yet he says he hasn’t squatted over 405 since he was 19 years old. And these days it’s often less than that because he begins his quad work with high-rep leg extensions.
    Even top IFBB pro Johnnie Jackson, who is also a competitive powerlifter, says that when he trains ultra-heavy with low reps exclusively, he gets smaller, not bigger. Why? Lack of tension time—he’s emphasizing only myofibrillar growth and getting almost zero sarcoplasmic stimulation with all-heavy workouts. He must switch to using more reps and/or short rests between sets to look like a bodybuilder for physique competition.
    So don’t be brainwashed into believing it’s all about pushing more weight. It is if you’re after STRENGTH. But if you want extreme muscle SIZE, you need more emphasis on extending tension time and doing more work in less time–or density intensity. That’s how to build muscle immensity.

This past spring, summer I kept going heavier and heavier with very low reps and few sets. It would take so much out of me that my workouts were short. You get out of breath but never really get a pump. I got stronger than I have ever been but didn't get any size hardly. If I lift with higher reps I always lose strength which frustrates me but I would rather get bigger than stronger. I always thought if you want to get big you have to lift big. I guess it makes sense if the pros lift this way.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pauliuch View Post
      This past spring, summer I kept going heavier and heavier with very low reps and few sets. It would take so much out of me that my workouts were short. You get out of breath but never really get a pump. I got stronger than I have ever been but didn't get any size hardly. If I lift with higher reps I always lose strength which frustrates me but I would rather get bigger than stronger. I always thought if you want to get big you have to lift big. I guess it makes sense if the pros lift this way.
      same here bro. if i try to lift heavy, i find i cant get a pump without doing 10+ reps. i thnik it was Dexter Jackson that said "You want to chase the pump in the gym. Once you feel like you cant get any more pumped, end the workout to avoid overtraining." i have been doing the 5/3/1 training for the past few months and my strength has gone through the roof and i am still allowed to get the the pump that i desire
      "I COUNT HIM BRAVER WHO OVERCOMES HIS OWN DESIRE THAN WHO CONQUERS HIS ENEMIES, FOR THE HARDEST VICTORY IS OVER SELF"

"SUCCESS ISN'T ALWAYS ABOUT GREATNESS. IT'S ABOUT CONSISTENCY. CONSISTENT HARD WORK GAINS SUCCESS. GREATNESS WILL COME"

Comment

it is also difficult to avoid injury's when constantly going heavy.
        We all know that we slowly build our body's + injury time off can not only slow ur progress but kill ur motivation.

I do love to throw the big heavy weights around but I need to feel the exercise more importantly than to try to be a strongman.
        "GYM + JUICE"

Comment

Working...
        X