Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for anyone that had a Proximal Biceps Tendon Rupture (Popeye arm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for anyone that had a Proximal Biceps Tendon Rupture (Popeye arm)

Ruptured (tore) the tendon on the outer head of my right bicep. Now my bicep is dropped down. I am scheduled for surgery but considering canceling because my arm feels fine. I really don't want to go through the rehab of 6 months with no upper body training. So I am hoping to find out what happens if i do not get the surgery!

I tore it doing 55lb inlcine dumbless curls on my 3rd set. Today (14 days later) I used 15lbs and no pain. I also did pulldowns with 150lbs.

My question is for anyone who has this and did NOT get surgery. How well has you arm recouped strength wise?

Is it easy to tear the other head? This is my biggest concern. Cause if i lift heavy with only one tendon. Will it tear the good one if I elect not to get the sugery???

Pic is of Kimbo Slices arm (not mine). But mine looks like this now.

man if you look like that, I can't believe you are not in that much pain...it hurts to look at...how could you NOT want to have surgery...it will be fucked up forever if not worse if you keep lifting with it....get the surgery done and maybe take some growth hormone to speed up the healing process...IMO

Comment

Actually it does not hurt at all unless I try to lift heavy weight. It is the tendon that ripped off the bone and maybe that has something to do with it not hurting. It has been two weeks and yesterday i curled a 25lb dumbell with that arm.

i spoke to the surgeon today and he said in his 30 years he has never seen anyone tear the inner head after they tore the outer head. So i decided to not get the surgery. I was more concerned about putting to much weight n that arm (ie deadlifts) and tear the remaining tendon.

The procedure is pretty bad (they drill a hole in your arm and tie the tendon through) so it takes 6 months before i can lift. I rather lift now and it will heal quicker . Only thing is it looks funny and i won't be able to lift as much weight. i just can't stand the thought of being in a cast and then a sling for that period and not being able to workout my whole left side.
      OTD
      Last edited by OTD; 03-21-2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I tore my bicep completely of (at the elbow though) I had the surgery (a little painful) but I recovered much faster than they predicted. I took my cast off 2/3 weeks after surgery + started squeezing handballs + slowly curling soda cans + stretched+flexed arm. range of motion + flexibility important in recover -bloodflow.

Now my repaired arm feels much stronger than the other.

Do the surgery get it done, you will make a quick comeback - quality of life. JM2C
        "GYM + JUICE"

Comment

Surgry is a must! Ur not that old but when u are ull wish you healed rite. An ya I cut off two fingers as a kid they put them back on an said they probably won't work rite. There the strongest fingers on both hands now.

Comment

i mean i wouldnt risk lifting with that injury atleast not pushing urself which u need to do u know..cant believe recoup is 6 months tho shit.. tough position but i mean its for the rest of ur life i think u should sacrafice and do it right bud. just my .02.. let us know though.. hope ur doing better man

Comment

Well I opted to skip the sugery. I was scheduled this wed and I can already do 25lb Dumbell curls with it. So I thought what the heck!..Just gonna take it slow and easy for the next couple months. No training to failure. This way i can do chest presses , shouder presses and some light upper back..

shoot after I got to thinking of my arm in a cast for 2 months and then in a sling that i can't even do squats. Even with leg presses the arm is in the way.

I guess i need to cut out deadlifts for at least 6 months though.

Comment

dude go get the surgery bro
                Lead me, Follow me, or get the hell out of my way!

Comment

My father tore his bicep several years ago. He decided against the surgery but he was over 60 years old and retired at the time. He had no need to worry about the lack of strength or how it would affect his job at work. His doctor said had he been a younger man he would have recommended the surgery.

Comment

The torn side is doing great. My right arm gained its strength and I it is stronger than my left bicep.

go figure!

Comment

popeye arm

Originally posted by OTD View Post
                      The torn side is doing great. My right arm gained its strength and I it is stronger than my left bicep.

go figure!

hello there! I am ricky from the philippines. I am a professional JAI-ALAI player. I also have this injury. it happened four years ago during a professional game. I just rested it for a week and played with pain with the help of pain killers and mueller tapes wrapped around my arm and body. I didn't have surgery. Now its about 70% as strong than before it was injured. How is yours now?

I just wanna ask you if you know some biceps exercise to atleast compensate the appearance of the arm.

I know this post is old. am just taking chances.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                      X