Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volkmann Wants to Fight Henderson

Volkmann Wants to Fight Henderson

Coming off his win over Danny Castillo at UFC Live 5, Jacob Volkmann would now like a matchup against lightweight contender Benson Henderson.

Henderson was also victorious on the Aug. 14 card. A former WEC champion, he scored an impressive win over Jim Miller via unanimous decision. It was the first time Volkmann had seen him fight.

?I was amazed,? Volkmann said during a ?Savage Dog Show? interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. ?He looked amazing out there. He dominated everything: standup, takedowns, ground. The only thing that maybe he got a little carried away [with], was sometimes he was on the ground and Miller grabbed a knee or an ankle and he tried to do a toehold or a kneebar on him, but Henderson, other than that, he controlled the fight. Every aspect of it.?

Volkmann feels a bout against Henderson would be ?fun.? However, he also named Clay Guida, Melvin Guillard and Donald Cerrone as opponents he would like to fight. Of course, he?s already fought some tough opposition, including Ronys Torres and Antonio McKee. Castillo is seen as a game challenger too, but Volkmann wasn?t exactly complimentary of him.

?He really didn?t impress me too much,? Volkmann said. ?He had decent kicks. That?s about all he had. His strength -- he didn?t have very much strength.?

The win was Volkmann?s fourth straight in the UFC. With the success, he?s set aside his career as a chiropractor to see how high he can climb in MMA.

?Right now I?m focusing on my UFC career,? Volkmann said. ?I?m not focusing on chiropractic. My main goal is to be the UFC champion. I only treat people when they call. I?m not in the office very much. I?m only in the office maybe three hours a week at the most. I don?t go there very often. My main goal, my main focus right now is training for fighting.?

Increased pay has allowed more fighters to focus on the sport, but Volkmann?s not raking in the big bucks just yet.

?The money?s really not that good,? he said. ?People keep on telling me, ?Yeah, you make a lot of money. You make a lot of money.? Are you kidding me? I had one fight in the last seven and a half months. I made, off this fight, less than $20,000 bucks ? after all my expenses. Do the math. That?s just a hair over $30,000 a year.?

With that said, though, Volkmann knows that continued success could eventually turn fighting into a lucrative career.

?Money is out there if you?re the top contender,? he said. ?If you?re one of the most exciting fighters out there, a top contender, the money is for sure out there.?
Working...
X