• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decline vs. Incline Skullcrusher

Decline vs. Incline Skullcrusher
    By Jimmy Pe?a, MS, CSCS

Incline Skullcrusher
    Getting into position for the incline skullcrusher can often prove tricky, especially if you?re training alone. If you have a trusted workout partner, have him stand behind the bench where you?ll need a spot; he can hand you the bar once you?re in proper position. If you train alone, try setting up the bench just outside a power rack, placing the safety bars just below the level of the top of the bench. When you sit back on the bench, you can reach back and grasp the bar with your shoulder-width grip and begin your set. At the end of your set, simply allow the bar to settle upon the safeties. You can also try the incline skull with dumbbells, either using both arms simultaneously or one at a time (using your free hand to spot yourself).

Decline Skullcrusher
    No need for a spotter on this exercise; however, you can most certainly have your partner hand you the bar to begin the set and/or force you through some tough reps. Make sure your lower legs are anchored under the pads, and lie back so that your entire body is supported. Reach back above your head to grasp the bar. The fact that you don?t need the power rack to hold the bar allows you to use shorter barbells or an EZ-bar if the straight bar proves tough on your wrists. Be sure to keep your elbows in tight to your body to best target the triceps. Because the bar is directly in front of your face and traveling toward your forehead, it?s imperative that you wrap your thumbs around the bar for safety.

Advantage: Incline Skullcrusher
    To isolate the winner, look at arm position relative to your head. During the incline skullcrusher, your upper arms are high and above your head. During the decline skullcrusher on the other hand, your arms are more directly in front of your body, which ends up being the determining factor. Whenever you?re hitting the triceps with your arms at your sides, you?re targeting the lateral head more than the medial or long heads. Whenever you raise your arms overhead or three-quarters overhead, you better isolate the long head. The decline skull is a great exercise and one that should definitely be incorporated into your routine, but the incline skullcrusher is your winner whenever your goal is the meaty portion of the back of the arms.

Comment

I perfer decline I feel I get more a stretch as oppose to incline. Good post. By far one of my favorite dropset exercises.
      Muscles are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. Eat big to get big.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback brother.I always try to change things up and utilize inclines,declines,bars,dumb's,etc.

Comment

Working...
        X