Marquardt Suspension Lifted, No Chance to Fight in Bellator for Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marquardt Suspension Lifted, No Chance to Fight in Bellator for Now

Former UFC middleweight fighter Nate Marquardt was able to get a favorable decision from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission (PSAC) after submitting documents that his testosterone level is on its normal range again. The PSAC recently lifted the suspension of Marquardt which would allow him to fight in any mixed martial arts promotion company. However, it is unfortunate that his best option, the Bellator, can not accommodate him at the moment.

MMA fans were amazed when Dana White terminated him from the UFC after his failure to comply the medical requirements at the Versus 4 event. Nate Marquardt is under testosterone replacement therapy and the athletic commission knows about his condition. However, the commission will only allow him to fight if his testosterone level is at an acceptable range. Though Marquardt was able to defend himself from critics that he did not used steroids secretly, his separation from UFC puts him in limbo now.

Bellator Fighters Wants Marquardt

After the incident, Bellator champions, middleweight Hector Lombard and welterweight Ben Askren, challenged Marquardt to fight them in their respective divisions. When Marquardt admitted that he was under testosterone therapy, Askren made harsh criticism via Twitter. ?Marquardt you are a cheater, not once but frequently. Stop cheating, come to bellator and I will crush you,? said Askren.

Not this Time Said Bellator CEO

While many MMA fighters wants to brawl with Marquardt in Bellator, the promotions company told MMA Junkie that Marquardt can?t be accommodated at this time. Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney admitted that they had a discussion on Marquardt?s possible inclusion in the company but the current situation doesn?t fit him. ?Nate?s situation was pretty unique. It?s an anomaly for a guy like that to become available, so we had discussions. But it just became pretty clear it wasn?t the right fit,? Rebney said.

For Marquardt to get into the Bellator?s system, he has to undergo qualifying matches. But even if Marquardt agrees to the challenge, the current tournament for the welterweight and the middleweight divisions were already loaded with fighters. The tournaments will start this August. ?We?re pretty far down the process. If Nate had been available a few months back, maybe things would be different,? added Rebney.

Marquardt Can Fight Outside US

Now that Marquardt had limited options in the US, he can look for other opportunities outside of the country. He can fight in Canada, Europe, or in Japan. However, he can still wait for Bellator or look for ways to convince White to bring him back again to UFC.

Marquardt Fighting Critics

The former UFC top contender is now facing a different battle. He?s gone fighting critics who lambasted him for using testosterone. The most vocal is B.J Penn who?s against the use of performance enhancing drugs in MMA. The former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion used his twitter to air his comments. A tweet quoted by MMA Mania: ?I?ll show up to your gym to fight if you do a drug test every week for 3 months. Winner Keeps the video. Lmk (:? B.J.

Penn also added he will beat Marquardt if the latter will come in natural like what he is doing in his entire career. Marquardt responded with a hit to B.J Penn?s head. ?How about I give u my most recent and another one now showing that it?s low and I still mop the floor with your midget head??

But it?s just unfortunate that the two champions can?t settle this battle inside the Octagon.
Working...
X