X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build muscle, stay lean

BUILD MUSCLE, STAY LEAN
    Chris Aceto

Bulking up: It’s a scary thought for many guys at the gym because it seems like there’s always a string attached. Everyone wants to add lean mass, but - and it’s a big but - a lot of us don’t like the idea of gaining bodyfat, even as little as a couple of pounds, which is the norm with most mass-gaining meal plans. Seriously, what’s the point of gaining 20 or 30 pounds if a good portion of that is fat? If you can’t see the muscle you’ve added, is it even worth having? In this case, we say no, which is why we provide you with the tools you need to add muscle while maintaining, not increasing, your current level of bodyfat.

SMART GROWTH
    You may be wondering, “How do I bulk up without adding unwanted pounds of fat?”

The answer: by being careful, precise and paying close attention to food timing.

Building muscle requires an increase in calories; that is, to gain weight you must eat more calories than you burn each day. But if you go overboard and eat too much, you’ll kick-start the fat-storing process. So the key is to eat just enough to facilitate the muscle-gaining process but not so much that you’ll add fat along with it.

One way to do this is by controlling portion sizes at mealtime. For most meals (not including postworkout), aim to get 40-60 grams of protein and 40-80 grams of carbs, depending on your size; bigger guys weighing more than, say, 225 pounds will shoot for the higher end. The meal plan on the facing page gives a guide to particular food portions that will get you to these gram targets. Dietary fat should be as low as possible, except for healthy fats (from nuts, olive oil, fatty fish), which can amount to 5-10 grams per meal.

Meal timing is the other key to staying lean while bulking up. When you eat not only supports mass gains but also plays a pivotal role in controlling bodyfat levels. If you’re trying to gain only quality mass, increase the size of your meals at breakfast and after training. These are the two times of day when muscles crave more calories and nutrients - at breakfast because you’re nutritionally depleted after a night’s sleep, and postworkout because the stressed muscles are in dire need of replenishment to jump-start the recovery process. Providing the body with what it can put to use during these Windows facilitates optimum growth and keeps bodyfat levels down.

In short, smart growth - muscle sans bodyfat - is contingent on manipulating calorie intake. Yes, you have to eat more to gain mass, but when you eat more can determine whether you’ll gain fat or muscle. If you stick to a large breakfast and a substantial post-training meal and evenly divide your other meals into smaller portions, you can boost your total caloric intake, ensuring that those extra calories go to the muscles when they need them.

And one final consideration: how to eat on days you don’t train. Muscles require rest days to grow, but you shouldn’t scarf down the quantity of carbohydrates you do on training days since the demand for carbs can fall considerably when you’re inactive. This is where people often get into trouble - they continue to maintain a high-carb intake on days they don’t hit the iron and aren’t burning through a lot of carbohydrates. The end result?

A rise in unwanted bodyfat, especially around the lower back and midsection. The basics of our lean-mass meal plan sum up what you’ve just learned. As far as portion size goes, the diet delivers a roughly equal amount of protein and carbs for most meals. You’ll eat six times per day to supply your body with critical nutrients, especially aminos, for driving muscle growth, and meal timing focuses around workouts and time of day. On training days, you get to eat more carbs overall (almost 2.5 grams per pound of bodyweight) and your postworkout meal is loaded with them - the meal plan on page 113 includes 177 grams of carbs after training. Try this at another time of day and it could lead to fat gain; here it will spur muscle growth.

You’ll get most of your carbohydrates early in the day (up to nearly 100 grams at breakfast), while your later meals are mostly protein. This gives your body the amino acids it requires without the carbs it won’t necessarily need at this time of day. Since insulin sensitivity tends to be lower later in the day, avoiding carbs helps to prevent fat gain. Protein intake stays the same on both days (almost 2 grams per pound of bodyweight, roughly 330 grams in our sample meal plan), so the drop in carbs also means a much-needed drop in calories. On workout days you need about 18-20 calories per pound of bodyweight, but on rest days you require only about 12-14 calories per pound. Swapping these days will spur muscle growth without seeing your midsection grow as well.
    F.I.S.T.
    Last edited by F.I.S.T.; 07-18-2011, 02:24 AM.

THE SCIENCE OF TIMING
    Three cups of rice, pasta or even a couple of bagels at a single sitting? Sounds like it’d make you fat, right? Not if you consume it along with lean protein immediately following a training session. Carbs remain the mismanaged nutrient. While they have the ability to be stored as bodyfat, they’re crucial to the muscle-building process. When you eat a lot of carbohydrates after training, it sets off a cascade of hormonal changes that favor the rebuilding of muscle mass. This includes a rise in insulin, which not only forces protein into muscles for growth but also stabilizes testosterone levels, which often fall as a result of too few carbs after training. On the flip side, if you eat too many carbs and just sit around being fairly inactive, some of those carbs might end up as bodyfat. That’s why you should eat fewer carbs on days you don’t train. While you need them to grow on days you work out, your need for them goes down considerably on days when you don’t hit the iron.

BUILD MUSCLE, STAY LEAN MEAL PLANS
    These are examples of the types of meal plans you should follow when you want to build muscle without gaining fat.

Training Day Menu

Meal 1: 8 a.m.
    10 egg whites
    11⁄4 cups oatmeal (dry measure) or 11⁄2 raisin bagels
    8 oz. orange juice or 1 cup mixed fruit
    Meal Totals: 669 calories, 58 g protein, 93 g carbs, 7 g fat

Meal 2: 11 a.m.
    8 oz. chicken breast
    1 small to medium potato*
    Meal Totals: 409 calories, 56 g protein, 37 g carbs, 3 g fat

Meal 3: 1 p.m.
    Whey protein shake (2 scoops)
    6-8 rice cakes*
    Meal Totals: 450 calories, 48 g protein, 58 g carbs, 2 g fat

Meal 4 (postworkout): 3 p.m.
    8 oz. turkey breast
    2-3 cups cooked pasta or white rice*
    1 whole-grain roll^
    Meal Totals: 1,096 calories, 78 g protein, 177 g carbs, 4 g fat

Meal 5: 6 p.m.
    8 oz. ground beef (95% lean)
    1 slice low-fat cheese
    2 slices whole-grain bread
    1 piece fruit^
    Meal Totals: 593 calories, 59 g protein, 57 g carbs, 13 g fat

Meal 6: 9 p.m.
    Meal Totals: 170 calories, 40 g protein, 2 g carbs, 0 g fat

DAILY TOTALS: 3,387 calories, 339 g protein, 424 g carbs, 29 g fat

* If you have a hard time staying lean, eat the smaller portion of carbs at this meal.
    ^ Optional. If you start the plan and find you’re adding bodyfat, drop this menu item.

Comment

Non-Training Day Menu

Meal 1: 8 a.m.
      10 egg whites
      2 slices whole-grain toast w/ low-sugar jam
      Meal Totals: 344 calories, 46 g protein, 35 g carbs, 2 g fat

Meal 2: 11 a.m.
      8 oz. chicken breast
      1 small to medium potato
      Meal Totals: 409 calories, 56 g protein, 37 g carbs, 3 g fat

Meal 3: 1 p.m.
      Meal Totals: 170 calories, 40 g protein, 2 g carbs, 0 g fat

Meal 4: 3 p.m.
      8 oz. turkey breast
      1 cup brown rice
      2 cups mixed vegetables
      Meal Totals: 734 calories, 75 g protein, 70 g carbs, 4 g fat

Meal 5: 6 p.m.
      8 oz. ground beef (95% lean)
      1 slice low-fat cheese
      2 slices whole-grain bread
      Meal Totals: 483 calories, 59 g protein, 27 g carbs, 13 g fat

Meal 6: 9 p.m.
      8 oz. chicken breast
      Medium green salad w/ fat-free dressing
      Meal Totals: 302 calories, 55 g protein, 10 g carbs, 3 g fat

DAILY TOTALS: 2,442 calories, 331 g protein, 181 g carbs, 25 g fat

20 - MAXIMUM NUMBER OF CALORIES PER POUND OF BODYWEIGHT YOU SHOULD EAT ON TRAINING DAYS

Comment

excellentttttt info fist haha. what you have on dieting for me??!

Comment

Yea, I'm interested in seeing your cutting menu!! Thanks FIST.....

Comment

A cutting diet is a very individual thing my brothers.What is a cutting diet for me may cause you to gain weight or vice versa.You need to establish what your caloric needs are for maintanance and for bulking.Once you do that we can better design a diet that is for YOU. I have plenty of good threads posted here on finding this information out and also plenty of good clean,lean mass building diets and recipes.Lets start there.

Comment

I want to build mucle and was looking for more opnion on this thread when came across to your post. I got great ideas here and now i'm feeling ready to get involved in taking some supplements. I will not named them :P

Comment

This was so good. I recommend Universal Animal cuts . Please take a look at it . It does magic .
                Ceylon Tea

Comment

Really great diet plan for non training day. I usually eat every thing on weekends this the day where i fails to maintain my diet this diet plan has really motivated me to put some efforts which will help me to take care of my diet on each and every day. It becomes very difficult to maintain diet on non training day but i will take a step to maintain my diet on these days.

Comment

Thanks F.I.S.T.. I put on to much fat last bulk cycle. A plan like this gives me structure

Comment

You're welcome sir.

Comment

Working...
                      X