Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost Your Energy With EPO

Boost Your Energy with EPO

Erythropoietin or EPO is one of the naturally-occurring hormones in the human body that has been used for medical purposes. Recombinant human EPO drugs are still currently in use as treatment for anemia resulting from chronic kidney diseases or chemotherapy treatments. Unfortunately, EPO is also one of the negatively publicized drugs, due to reported abuse by high-profile athletes.

Erythropoietin is a glycoprotein produced by the kidney, a signaling protein (cytokine) that plays an important part in intra-cellular communications. Stimuli like bleeding or increase in altitude (where oxygen is scarce) trigger the release of EPO in the human body. The main function of EPO is to bind with receptors in the bone marrow to stimulate red blood cells (erythrocytes) production. It is for this reason that it is considered useful in treating anEPO for Energyemia.

Although EPO had been studied in the 1970s and in use since the 1980s, the use of exogenous (produced outside the body) EPO as a performance enhancing drug is relatively recent. Classified as an Erythropoietin Stimulating Agent (ESA) when used to enhance performance, exogenous EPO is detectable in the bloodstream as it differs slightly from the endogenous (produced by the body) protein.

The main benefit that recombinant EPO gives users is the increase in red blood cells (RBC) which function as the oxygen-carrying containers in the blood. As a result of the increased oxygen level, aerobic efficiency and energy level is increased. In other words, more RBCs delivering oxygen to muscle tissues is directly associated with a significant boost in speed, strength and endurance of athletes [1].

There are also studies which found that EPO enhances protein synthesis, which means that EPO is an anabolic drug. Animal studies on EPO had shown substantial gains in weight and hastened repair of injuries, and this was attributed to the presence of myoblast (muscle stem cell) in the muscles. This is significant as muscle fibers are formed when myoblasts fuse together ? and the presence of myoblasts during EPO treatment strongly points to the correlation between the drug and muscle building activity in the body. Aside from adding mass, EPO aids respiration, whole body metabolism, energy efficiency [2] and even improves cognitive learning functions [3].

Reckless use of EPO, however, is not advised. Hematocrit - the proportion of blood volume occupied by RBCs ? defines the concentration and viscosity of the blood where the normal values are around 46% for men and 38% for women. Use of EPO artificially increases the hematocrit, which means that the blood is more concentrated and thicker than normal. Artificial increases can normally be absorbed by the body, but only up to a certain level (for athletes, 55% is believed to be ideal). If the increase exceeds the level that the body can absorb, the blood would turn into a sludge that can clog arteries, and may result to elevated blood pressure, stroke and heart attacks. This is especially dangerous for athletes who exercise for prolonged periods, as dehydration also reduces the water content of the blood and thus may shoot-up the hematocrit which is already elevated to start with.

The drug, though banned by international sports organizations, can be used by recreational enthusiast to boost speed, strength and endurance, especially when competing in contests with no doping tests. A starting dosage is typically 20 i.u. per kilogram bodyweight, three times/week, and a once-a-week maintenance dose of 20 i.u. /kg BW can be taken 2-4 weeks after the start of the regimen. Recombinant EPO (rhEPO) is sold as an injectable, usually in freeze dried powder that is reconstituted with sterile water prior to injection. Two of the current brands of EPO are Epogen and Procrit.

References:

Sports Med. 2003;33(3):187-212
    Semin Oncol. 2002 Jun;29(3 Suppl 8):69-74
    Clin Breast Cancer. 2002 Dec;3 Suppl 3:S116-20

awesome info... thanks....
    so any good reasons not to bridge with EPO? seems to me the added energy would rock for staying in the gym during the PCT crash and the extra blood would help with nutrient transport to help maintain mass...

how long should an EPO cycle be? other than the inherint risks of having all the extra blood are there any long-term sides (shut-downs) to be aware of?

Comment

oh... and the pic of the Repretin at Naps says "Solution for injection" ... is his not a powder to be reconstituted?...

Comment

Originally posted by atavist View Post
        awesome info... thanks....
        so any good reasons not to bridge with EPO? seems to me the added energy would rock for staying in the gym during the PCT crash and the extra blood would help with nutrient transport to help maintain mass...

how long should an EPO cycle be? other than the inherint risks of having all the extra blood are there any long-term sides (shut-downs) to be aware of?
        4 wks is an average cycle.The longer you run it the bigger risk for problems due to blood thickening but at the proper dosed and for only 4 wks it should be GTG.

Comment

If anyone is thinking of taking EPO i believe there was another thread started on it. This is very serious stuff and is not to be taken by a novice. Make sure you read up on it as much as possible and do not use unless you know all the risks and the proper way to use. Again, please be careful guys.
          Founder of M.A.A.D.

Free Your Mind

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoDino247 View Post
            If anyone is thinking of taking EPO i believe there was another thread started on it. This is very serious stuff and is not to be taken by a novice. Make sure you read up on it as much as possible and do not use unless you know all the risks and the proper way to use. Again, please be careful guys.
            As with anything,do it right.If you abuse anything,its dangerous.AAS are especially important.Not just EOP,but any AAS you run must be treated with the utmost repsect and followed properly.

Comment

still with AAS, if you mess a cycle up, you may end up with an abscess, gyno, ect. we see this stuff happen all the time with people who have no business using them. if you mess EPO up, your blood turns to sludge and you die. it's in my personal opinion that no one should use EPO without getting regular blood work. one of the big problems is, there is no standard dosing guideline. i've read that they can only tell how effective a dose is by doing blood work. and further, just because a dose works, doesn't mean it will continue to work. the patient may need hald as much next wk. it's an ever changing animal and blood work is the only way to tell what is happening inside.
              if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by sam1976 View Post
                still with AAS, if you mess a cycle up, you may end up with an abscess, gyno, ect. we see this stuff happen all the time with people who have no business using them. if you mess EPO up, your blood turns to sludge and you die. it's in my personal opinion that no one should use EPO without getting regular blood work. one of the big problems is, there is no standard dosing guideline. i've read that they can only tell how effective a dose is by doing blood work. and further, just because a dose works, doesn't mean it will continue to work. the patient may need hald as much next wk. it's an ever changing animal and blood work is the only way to tell what is happening inside.

I agree 100% about the blood work,but I also believe 100% in it while using AAS as well.Yes,EPO can be dangerous if not done properly,but what ive seen is just like with AAS people think that if "this" dose worked than if I upped it it would work even better.Thats where the problems come in.Also,EPO is recommended for only 4 wk cycles.Again,guys think they can just take it as long as they want without risks,not true.As for the clotting,this has been minor with moderate doses and many I know have taken blood thinners in their cycle (like Viagara) to help combat this.

I would NEVER take anything before doing as much research as possible on its use,sides,coming off protcols,etc,.I would also guide everyone else to do the same thing.
                EPO has the potential to have more severe neg sides than AAS if taken improperly,so the key is take it properly,get blood work done before and after,tell your dr what you arer taking so he/she can monitor you properly.

Comment

sounds like we're pretty much on the same page, FIST. i just want to emphasize the very real negetives that can and do happens so an uninformed newbie may think twice before pressing an order button. if you aren't going to do the blood work week to week, you may die.
                  if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by sam1976 View Post
                    sounds like we're pretty much on the same page, FIST. i just want to emphasize the very real negetives that can and do happens so an uninformed newbie may think twice before pressing an order button. if you aren't going to do the blood work week to week, you may die.
                    Absolutely my friend.

Comment

Working...
                    X