School Rugby Players & AAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Rugby Players & AAS

The South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport wants permission from all schools in the country to test schoolchildren as often as possible for illegal performance-enhancing drugs. This comes after the revelation of a huge increase in schoolboy rugby players using illegal anabolic steroids.

Tests conducted by Joburg company Drug Detection International on pupils at 18 of the country?s top schools found 21 out of 130 pupils ? almost one in six ? tested positive for illegal steroids.

Commissioned independently by various schools, Drug Detection International sent urine samples for analysis to a forensic laboratory in the US.

They found positive results for two pupils of St Albans, Pretoria; three pupils of King Edward VII in Joburg; and found that one boy from St John?s in Joburg had twice the amount of testosterone levels for a teenager his age.

Fifteen of the other pupils who tested positive were from private schools in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal. At least 12 were caught with banned steroids in their possession.

The Department of Basic Education, however, has not noted steroid use as a serious problem. The department doesn?t conduct drug tests for sport.

Director of the SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport Dr Shuaib Manjra said a comprehensive approach was required.

?The first is educating pupils about ethical sport; no dirty play, no racism, no cheating, no bribery and no doping,? said Manjra.

?We also need to teach pupils approaches to enhancing performance without using prohibited substances.?

Manjra added that the second step was to test in order to detect and deter those who cheat. ?Here we require the assistance of the schools, parents and coaches.

?We need a legislative framework or, alternatively, a consensus policy for all schools to abide by. Once we have jurisdiction, then we require resources to introduce these programmes into schools, this would include education, testing and prosecution. We also require parental consent,? he said.

With South Africa the only country on the continent to have a World Anti Doping Agency-accredited laboratory, Manjra said there was no need to send samples as far as the US to be tested.

Asked what he thought was the reason behind the increase in usage of steroids by school children, Manjra said he believed school sports had become much more competitive than ever before.

?Individuals who want an edge will try anything to succeed,? said Manjra.

?Many aspire to provincial and national contracts and thus look for shortcuts to get there. Then there is peer pressure and sometimes pressure from coaches and parents.

?Also remember it requires money to buy steroids, so kids need this disposable income. Many youths use steroids to enhance their image and are not necessarily involved in sport. Self-image is big in this group and they will pay anything to look better.?

He added that steroids were too easily available to schoolchildren. ?The market for steroids is huge and they are easily available from gymnasiums. Some shops which front as supplement stores also peddle steroids and other drugs. Unscrupulous pharmacists and doctors also dispense this stuff.

?Some come from legal sources such as pharmaceutical companies; others are manufactured in underground laboratories or imported from dodgy foreign operators via the internet.?

Manjra has also urged law enforcement agencies to do their bit. ?The fines for such offences must be increased; the police must be more active in this area; the customs officials need to be alert and intelligence agencies need to track the manufacture and supply of these products,? said Manjra.

Drug Detection International has said that the most common steroids used by schoolchildren are Boldenone, Mesterolone, Methan-drostenolone and Nandrolone.

damn thats crazy. its best that they regulate that, young kids are putting their bodies at risk and they dont think of the consequences and long term effects. btw i am a rugby player too! lol

Comment

Originally posted by number twelve View Post
      damn thats crazy. its best that they regulate that, young kids are putting their bodies at risk and they dont think of the consequences and long term effects. btw i am a rugby player too! lol
      Were you one of the ones that tested positive?? J/K.

The problem is our wonderful govt has made AAS such a hot topic with all the bullshit about how Joe Schmo nobody took AAS and became this hulking monster and/or star athlete.So every kid reads or hears about this and wants the same results.Then because we,"our govt" have made it so taboo to even talk about it,these kids are afraid to ask anyone about it or even spend the time doing research on their use they don't know that they need to wait till they're older or they worse they start young with no knowledge of how to cycle and fuck it up.Hopefully they can even get "good" gear.

Sad to think that with all the rec drug use and cigarettes and alcohol abuse,that AAS are the thing the govt is going after!!

Comment

Originally posted by F.I.S.T. View Post
        Were you one of the ones that tested positive?? J/K.

The problem is our wonderful govt has made AAS such a hot topic with all the bullshit about how Joe Schmo nobody took AAS and became this hulking monster and/or star athlete.So every kid reads or hears about this and wants the same results.Then because we,"our govt" have made it so taboo to even talk about it,these kids are afraid to ask anyone about it or even spend the time doing research on their use they don't know that they need to wait till they're older or they worse they start young with no knowledge of how to cycle and fuck it up.Hopefully they can even get "good" gear.

Sad to think that with all the rec drug use and cigarettes and alcohol abuse,that AAS are the thing the govt is going after!!
        agreed bro. but have to be honest, i played juco college football before rugby. it was a top ranked team, and there were so many guys on juice. some would just do winstrol by itself, others would do more advanced cycles. I was a 18 yr old kid trying to earn a spot on this team, didnt know anything about juice except for the giambi had done deca, therefore i paid out the ass and got 2 vials of deca and one of test prop. the guy who i thought was my friend told me to shoot the prop once a week and deca twice a week. said no need for pct. luckily i never went through with it, otherwise i might seriously be messed up now

Comment

agreed bro. but have to be honest, i played juco college football before rugby. it was a top ranked team, and there were so many guys on juice. some would just do winstrol by itself, others would do more advanced cycles. I was a 18 yr old kid trying to earn a spot on this team, didnt know anything about juice except for the giambi had done deca, therefore i paid out the ass and got 2 vials of deca and one of test prop. the guy who i thought was my friend told me to shoot the prop once a week and deca twice a week. said no need for pct. luckily i never went through with it, otherwise i might seriously be messed up now
          Well you wouldn't be seriously messed up but it would have just been a wasted cycle and wasted money.

Comment

well who knows coulda messed with my own test production! prefer to not have found out the hard way! lol

Comment

well who knows coulda messed with my own test production! prefer to not have found out the hard way! lol
              Trust me brother,with 1 bottle of Prop and 2 bottles of deca if you took it all at once you wouldn't have hurt permanantely yourself.Your thoughts just show more of how AAS have been made out to be the worst thing out there but they just arent.Most prescription drugs being given today are far more toxic.Even otc medications can cause a world of hurt if not taken properly.When the last time you heard of someone overdosing on steroids? Never?? It just cant happen.

Are AAS a serious drug that needs to be researched long enough before even attemping their use.Absolutely.If not taken properly,over long periods of time,they can cause you problems.The key word is "LONG" periods of time.Taking 1 bottle of prop could NOT do lasting damage to you or your bodies natural test production.

Now,this doesn't mean that no-one could ever have a problem with this.Everyone is different and reacts differently so do think im saying its impossible to happen to anyone.It is.Just as prescription medications,everyone reacts differently and thats why they tell you when prescribed that if you do start to have sudden and severe neg side effects to stop taking and consult your dr.Its just more unlikely with AAS IMHO and my experience over the yrs.

Comment

yeah ill agree with that. i would have been more concerned about the effects of deca on my hpta. but yeah i agree things are overblown. does that mean i am gonna put myself at risk and not do a pct or do a 25 week cycle? no. my goals dont call for such things

Comment

yeah ill agree with that. i would have been more concerned about the effects of deca on my hpta. but yeah i agree things are overblown. does that mean i am gonna put myself at risk and not do a pct or do a 25 week cycle? no. my goals dont call for such things
                  PCT should ALWAYS be run.As for the 25 wkr,thats a different topic.LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X