• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor replaced woman's missing thumb with her big toe

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/toe.han...2.1764373.html

Fireworks Victim Has Toe Transplanted Onto Hand

MASTIC, N.Y. (CBS) ―

It was a rare and delicate surgery.

Doctors at Stony Brook University Medical Center have replaced a woman's thumb with her toe, and expect her to regain full mobility of her hand. Shannon Elliott, 25, left the hospital Monday, but first wanted to tell her story and warn others.

Elliott said she is looking forward to getting her life back just two weeks after doctors transplanted her big toe to take the place of her missing thumb.

"It's just my thumb now," she said.

It was last November in Mastic when someone in a car tossed a firework at Shannon, who was in the street.

"I was devastated. I was in and out of consciousness. There was blood all over the place. My fingers exploded into pieces," Elliott said.

Her thumb, middle and index finger had to be amputated. Elliott, a mother of two young children, said it's been tough.

"You have to relearn how to do everything ... changing my son's diaper with seven fingers is a lot harder than you would expect," she said.

Elliott said even though it meant more surgery, she was willing to take the chance.

"To me it was a no-brainer. I'd rather lose one toe and gain a whole hand," she said.

The procedure took 11 hours and doctors used a high resolution CAT scan to increase the chance of success. They admitted to feeling some pressure.

"She's already lost three fingers. Now we're talking her into sacrificing a toe, so you don't want anything to go wrong. So it takes a lot of planning," surgeon Dr. Jason Ganz said.

Doctors said she will have nearly full use of the hand. Elliott said she is looking forward to simple pleasures.

"I could help my kids. I could go back to cooking. I used to like baking and cooking. I could do that again eventually," Elliott said.

As the Fourth of July approaches she said she's living proof for anyone considering playing with fireworks -- that they are anything but harmless.

"They're nothing to be messed with. Professionals should be doing the fireworks," Elliott said.

Doctors said Elliott's balance and walking will not be affected by the amputated toe. She will also receive two prosthetic fingers and undergo physical therapy.
    Attached Files
    if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

bizarre ..

Comment

wow.................
      http://www.napsgear.net/affiliate_sh..._banner_id=166

Comment

Working...
      X