Tennis Elbow Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis Elbow Therapy

i've had tennis elbow in both elbows. it's common in our sport and it sucks! it got so bad that i couldn't train. i went to physical therapy. thankfully, i had good insurance at the time and was able to go for treatment at a top sports medicine school that happens to be in my area. since i got treatment for it, i've been able to keep it under control with zero pain. if i feel it coming on, i know the exercises i can do to correct it before it causes an issue. i do them while watching tv in the evening and since i catch it early now, it only takes a couple days to get it back under control.

heres the plan :

1.rest

2. ice several times a day, especially after physical activity that might bother your elbow, that includes after therapy. 20 minutes on, with a damp cloth between your arm and the ice.

3. nsaid drugs like ibuprofen. mobic is my personal favorite.

these things will help control swelling and inflammation. too much swelling will be counter productive.

4.physical therapy and avoiding aggravation - pain in the forearm and elbow, like tennis elbow and golf elbow(both tendonitis felt in the elbow), has a lot to do with what is going on in your hand. the hand is an amazing body part. it is very strong, but unlike other strong body parts, like the bicep, it is streamline, allowing us to use it for intricate activities. the strength in our hand, comes from the forearm. if you overexert your hand, the tendons in your forearm will tell you. your grip is your weak link. look up grip strength and forearm exercises online. search for tennis elbow exercises. avoid gripping weights tightly in the gym when possible. while you're recovering, use machines and smith rack when pushing to avoid having to grip the bar tightly.for now, use straps when pulling, or better yet, avoid it all together for a few, until you get this under control.

5. massage- blood flow will help to carry waste away, to allow the healing process to happen. the problem is, tendons have poor blood flow. massage therapy will speed the process up big time and help break down the scar tissue that forms on damaged tendons.
    if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Great post man.Sorry to hear about the injury but it seems like you're taking care of it the way you need to.

Good luck with the progress and the reovery.

Comment

Working...
    X