Thiago silva suspended and fined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thiago silva suspended and fined

UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva fined $33,750, license revoked for 12 months
    for steroid use.

by John Morgan on Apr 07, 2011 at 2:10 pm ET
    LAS VEGAS – UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) had his license revoked through Jan. 1, 2012, and was fined $33,750 following his admission to the Nevada State Athletic Commission that he knowingly used steroids and provided a synthetic urine sample in his pre-UFC 125 drug screen.

The result of his unanimous-decision win over Vera was also overturned to a "no contest."

Silva waived his right for an attorney and additional time to prepare a defense in favor of a speedy ruling at Thursday's NSAC monthly meeting, which took place at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

"I'm here just to tell the truth," Silva said.

In March, Silva was served with a formal NSAC complaint after two separate urinalysis samples revealed a substance that was "inconsistent with human urine," which indicated that he "submitted an adulterated and/or substituted specimen for testing for the urinalysis." Silva's first test was flagged, which prompted further testing by the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory, which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

The Brazilian was accompanied to Thursday's hearing by his manager and friend, Eddie Miranda, who also served as an interpreter. However, Silva answered the majority of the commission's questions in English.

Silva admitted to twice taking a prescription steroid, delivered by a doctor via epidural, during the training camp for his Jan. 1 bout with Vera at UFC 125, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The Brazilian said he took the first dose 45 days prior to the bout and a second 30 days before the contest.

Silva admitted to the commission he knew the injections were in direct violation of NSAC regulations but said he felt compelled to cheat in order to support his family.

"I just want to apologize for what I did," Silva said following the conclusion of the prosecution's cut-and-dry presentation. "I did what I did because my back was very, very bad a couple months (before the fight). I had not fought for one year. I was completely broke. I have a family. People depend on my money. I was desperate to do something.

"I know what I did is wrong. Like I said, I'm so sorry. I had my reasons. People depend on my money, and I had to give them support."

Silva said the same back injury that forced him to withdraw from a planned UFC 117 fight with Tim Boetsch again became an issue while preparing for Vera, and he could not afford to withdraw from another fight. Citing the pain caused from three herniated discs, Silva said he turned to a doctor to administer the steroids and then provided a "fake" urine sample, which he said he purchased on the Internet from ClearTest.com approximately two weeks before the UFC 125 bout.

Silva testified that he simply turned his back to the NSAC inspector, opened a container of synthetic urine that he had kept hidden in his shorts and dumped the contents in the testing vial.

Silva, who defeated Vera via unanimous decision, was paid a $55,00 purse for the fight, as well as an additional $55,000 win bonus.

NSAC commissioners originally recommended a fine of one-third of Silva's "show" purse, as well as his entire win bonus, but citing the Brazilian's "candor and honesty" eventually settled on 25-percent of his purse ($13,750) and $20,000 of the win bonus for a total fine of $33,750.

Silva dodged a bit of a bullet with his suspension, as NSAC executive director Keith Kizer recommended the 12-month suspension begin with Thursday's hearing rather than the more traditional procedure of backdating the first day of the suspension to the date of the fight in question.

Kizer cited Silva's reluctance to fess up to the charges until his "B" sample returned with the same findings as the first test. However, the commissioners instead elected to reward Silva for his belated admissions and chose to stick with the traditional routine. Silva is eligible to reapply for a license on Jan. 2, 2012, and he will have to provide a drug-free (and authentic) urine sample.

Following the hearing, Silva declined to comment to MMAjunkie.com

In addition to the ruling on Silva, the NSAC also admitted a need for increased attention to detail in their drug-screening procedures.

"I have to say I think as a commission we have to take responsibility for the way this process works," commissioner Francisco Aguilar stated at the conclusion of the hearing. "Had our inspectors been doing the job that they are hired to do and are expected to do by this commission, this would have never happened.

"I think we have to look at ourselves, and we have to look at the process, and we have to look at our inspectors to make sure we have the best inspectors in that room, who are willing to forego the social aspect of a fight and be there to do a job."

Silva's case is the first involving an MMA athlete using fake urine since late 2006, when Kevin Randleman attempted to conceal his use of prescription medication in a test administered after his submission loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at PRIDE 32. Randleman was fined $5,000 of his $40,000 purse and also had his license revoked. "The Monster" has yet to reapply.

That sucks, I hate to any these guys have trouble. Love MMA, thanks to Dana White for promoting the sport and getting people involved. He did MMA a great deal of good not just for the UFC.

Comment

What sucks is,heres a guy that isn't hurting anyone (except his opponents) and is trying to make a living to support his family.He's been on a more than a year layoff with no money coming in due to a back injury and the AAS helped him get back in the gym and the cage so his family can survive and now hes screwed even more.Why,because steroids gave him edge? Because steroids help ease the pain of his injury?

Sad.

Comment

It is sooooooooooo naive for anyone to think that any athlete in this day and age is not on something, it's just the ones that are unknowledgeable about how long it takes to get it out of their system that get caught!

Comment

Everyone wants an edge now a days
          The Rules At Juiced Muscle (everyone please read)
          http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...e-please-read)
          http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...please-read!!!
          Chat Box Talk And Rules
          http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...-Shoutbox-Talk
          No Soliciting Websites In Your Signatures
          http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...our-Signatures

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness!

Comment

I think they should allow athletes a certain amount of usage through out the year for healing purposes which should and could be monitored. These guys destroy there body's whats wrong with a little help? JM2cents

Comment

Originally posted by niko View Post
              I think they should allow athletes a certain amount of usage through out the year for healing purposes which should and could be monitored. These guys destroy there body's whats wrong with a little help? JM2cents
              Damn right!!!

Athletes get paid to win.PERIOD.So they do whatever it takes to keep winning.They put their bodies thru torture to try and keep in top shape to continue winning.Because of this injuries often occur.Unfortunately,they don't get paid if they can't perform.S o do they just hope for the best? No they do WHATEVER it takes to get off the sidelines and once again make an income.

Did you ever wonder why for example the UFC fighters ever talk talk about "Needing" this win after a couple of loses?? Its because its in their contracts that if they lose a few fights in a row,they are not allowed to fight in the UFC for a while.Thats why after one of their guys loses a few fights,you don't see him for a long time,then he pops up in another league.Wins pay the bills.Right or wrong,thats the way the game is played.Like they say "Don't hate the player,hate the game"

Comment

Working...
              X