Solving the post workout mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solving the post workout mystery

It may not be to a lot of you more experienced guys, but to me the mystery of perfect post-workout nutrition is well..just that, a mystery. For the longest time i thought it was correct to slam a few scoops of whey and some simple sugars such as a gatorade as soon as the weights hit the floor. Now im hearing guys doing much different things that im totally unfamiliar with and just dont understand. Could some of you guys clear this up for us and fill us in on what you are doing after a hard and heavy workout?

what you've done in the past is a good plan. protein and fast carbs. then eat a whole food meal about 1 hr later containing carbs and protein. what kind of things are you hearing?
    if you are new to the board, please take a minute to read the rules...CLICK HERE

Comment

Well sam thats comforting to know. I though i had been wasting my time. I've heard that what i should be doing is having a few scoos of dextrose to spike insulin levels and then an hour after that have a few scoops of protein. I read somewhere that you shouldnt have them a the same time. It bothered me lol. I just always thought the "anabolic window was like a half hour long so i've always just droped 2-3 scoops of whey into my gatorade or powerade and slammed it. So sam this is ok? What do you do for post workout nutrition?

Comment

It also depends on your goals, and what type of training you do.

By not incorporating carbs during your post-workout shake, you can further increase protein synthesis, and have increased insulin sensitivity. Mauro Di Pasquale has covered this pretty well and has the studies to support it.

However, Lyle McDonald also has an article covering Post-workout, where a study supports Protein + Carbs: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...nutrition.html

And another article that a preworkout meal might be superior than a post-workout. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...rition-qa.html

The bottom line, it comes down to goals. You might want to ttry both approaches and find what works best for you:

Comment

Working...
        X