Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A topic of great debate..Does muscle soreness = muscle growth???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A topic of great debate..Does muscle soreness = muscle growth???

This is a topic of huge debate and confusion. I'm sure it's been discussed here already, but im new here and am already hooked on creating new threads so i'll just make another one. So..does getting sore after a workout equal muscle growth? I know personally if im not sore the next day then i feel like didnt do something right and im pissed! I want to be so sore that i cant stand to be touched. Maybe thats bad, maybe it's good. Thats why i'm asking all of you guys because i have no clue. It seems that my chest and legs can become so sore the day or two after a workout that i have trouble doing my job lol. But my biceps might get sore for a day or 2 tops and that it. Shoulders NEVER get sore accept for real delts. Whats up with that guys? It's got me completely dumbfounded and i gotta figure the whole doms thing out. Is it good or bad? Let the debating begin!

Well i don't know if its wright as such but im always sore the next day and can still feel it 2-3 days after a workout, and i know what you mean about shoulders im the same i can feel them burning at the gym but never the next day!

Comment

Off gear I'm sore as hell for three days but on gear I'm good to go the next day and I work twice as hard on gear the mirror will tell you if your working out enough
      You can't run when the cage door closes !!

Comment

Being sore feeling is what its all about no Pain no gain ur muscles are like rubber bands if they don't feel like there contracting well that mean there not expanding and ur muscles aren't growing imo when there expanding blood is flowing to them so that's why ur not sore after u work out and the next day there sore cause the blood isn't flowing to the muscle like it was when u were working out if u went again the next day they would hurt a bit but once the blood starts flowing to the muscle again the soreness starts to go away atleast it does to me

Comment

in sports-science its called DOMS ..nice piece on the net:
          http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm

Comment

Good article by Ronny.

Soreness for me usually comes from a new routine, or uping the intensity. I do not feel as sore now a days, but I also take in a lot of BCAAs and Glutamine to prevent it. I'm ok with not feeling sore, but I should have very little strength in the body part I just worked for the next day, that means I exhausted it and it will grow.

As for not being as sore in certain parts, i'd be willing to bet it's your form. Shoulders and back especially are very form dependent movements. If your form is off, you're going to feel it in your arms, chest, forearms, etc. and those parts will be exhausted just when you start to feel it in your shoulders/back. So drop the weight down and do very slow, very controlled movements and really focus on form.

I speak from experience on this, I always wondered why my back was so far behind every other part of me. Then one day I got a new trainer and he told me to go do some wide grip pull ups (wide grip removes the biceps from the equation) and I could barely do 2. Turns out I was using horrid form on all back movements.

Comment

As some of the fellas have stated different body parts respond differently to working out. I find that smaller muscle groups ei. biceps, delts, traps, triceps and of course abs respond better to concentrated high rep workouts. Of course go with the heaviest weight you can but concentrate during your movements and maintain good form. Try different things like supersets and dropsets. For instance I do supersets on shoulder day with lateral raises and front delt raises. I do dropsets on shrugs so i bang out 8 reps with my heaviest weight then drop down 30 or 40 lbs and do another 8 to 12 reps. Try to switch things up every 6 weeks or so.

Comment

Originally posted by GirlyMan View Post
                Good article by Ronny.

Soreness for me usually comes from a new routine, or uping the intensity. I do not feel as sore now a days, but I also take in a lot of BCAAs and Glutamine to prevent it. I'm ok with not feeling sore, but I should have very little strength in the body part I just worked for the next day, that means I exhausted it and it will grow.

As for not being as sore in certain parts, i'd be willing to bet it's your form. Shoulders and back especially are very form dependent movements. If your form is off, you're going to feel it in your arms, chest, forearms, etc. and those parts will be exhausted just when you start to feel it in your shoulders/back. So drop the weight down and do very slow, very controlled movements and really focus on form.

I speak from experience on this, I always wondered why my back was so far behind every other part of me. Then one day I got a new trainer and he told me to go do some wide grip pull ups (wide grip removes the biceps from the equation) and I could barely do 2. Turns out I was using horrid form on all back veAments.
                Amen! My form was also terrible on back movements. Barely any true contraction going on and the lats werent getting stretched. I learned a lot watching the pros train back on youtube and stuff lol.

Comment

go hard or go home
                  Founder of M.A.A.D.

Free Your Mind

Comment

Not necessarily since there are things besides training well which can cause soreness like a lack of sleep, bad nutrition, injuries, etc.

But it's a generally okay guideline that you're hitting a certain area and testing it to a limit that will probably cause some kind of adaptation. Just not necessarily enough to cause long term gains if it's not more than before.

Comment

Working...
                    X