Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School

Bro thats a very old school approach.
    Obviously not much coverage on the sites and magazines because they are mostly owned or sposored by nutrition companies that wanna sell expensive proteinpowders.
    Try google : Gomad or a gallon a day bodybuilding

Gallon of Milk a Day Program (GOMAD Diet)

Nutritional Information for various milk types for 16 cups or 1 US gallon:

Skim Milk - 1280 calories; 0g fat; 192g carbs; 128g Protein
    1% Milk - 1600 calories; 40g fat; 192g carbs; 128g Protein
    2% Milk - 1920 calories; 80g fat; 192g carbs; 128g Protein
    Whole Milk - 2400 calories; 128g fat; 192g carbs; 128g Protein

if you are eating 5 to 6 meals per day thats about 2.5 to 3 cups of milk per meal, thats not that much really

The obvious difference between all of them is the fat content.

Aspiring weight trainers and bodybuilders want to get big fast, and one of the best programs for doing so is the "Gallon of Milk a Day" plan, coupled with some heavy lifting.
    When you want to get big really fast, there is no substitute for lots of calories. In fact, you need to add 500-1,000 calories per day if you want to gain weight. And really, the more the better. If you find yourself getting fat (it will show up in the belly first), you can back off a little or do some cardio work.
    The GOMAD diet, as it's commonly called, has been around for decades. It continues to be used because it works!
    It's very simple to follow, too.
    That's it!
    Lots of folks who have used the Gallon of Milk a Day program have reported that they've achieved great success with it. It is recommended that you ease into the program; start off by drinking 1/8 to a 1/4 of a gallon a day at first to see how your body responds to it.
    Obviously, if you're allergic to milk or dairy products, this is NOT the system for you. Additionally, if you're lactose-intolerant, tread lightly here.
    Remember, the whole idea about bodybuilding is to achieve a heightened fitness and health level. Don't destroy your health by eating food that doesn't agree with you.

^^ couldn't agree more, always been a big milk drinker....comes in handy when the cupboards are bare.

Comment

Man a gallon a day on top of all the water haha but damn it seems easier to get some of the protein that way. Ive never been a milk drinker never digged the taste. But now that im older i dont mind it as much. Im down i think ill go half gallon tho. good post ronny
      "It's only after you've lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Comment

I never realized that Milk had that much protein in it...I may have to try this when I get on cycle.....

Comment

Bump - MILK, it does a body good.
          "GYM + JUICE"

Comment

When I was in school I used to take 2 half gallon skim containers with me. One in the morning (sipping), a good lunch, then one the second half of the day. It worked wonders. During the first two years ( I did it everyday) I gained around 30 lbs. and my waist size did not change. Good post Ronny. Damn, why am I not doing this now???

Comment

Great post man.

Comment

If you are interested

Nice that you are interested and agree, most bb-ers swore by all the nonsense told them by the supplementpushers ..some more..Chocolate milk after training enhances hypertrophy

But carbohydrates do the same. I posted for table showing the effects of chocolate regime on body composition.

J Am Coll Nutr. 2004 Aug;23(4):322-30.
                Effect of post-exercise supplement consumption on adaptations to resistance training.Rankin JW, Goldman LP, Puglisi MJ, Nickols-Richardson SM, Earthman CP, Gwazdauskas FC.
                Department of Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA 24061-0430, USA. jrankin@vt.edu
                Abstract
                OBJECTIVE: Athletes are interested in nutritional manipulations that may enhance lean tissue gains stimulated by resistance training. Some research demonstrates that acute consumption of food containing protein causes superior muscle protein synthesis compared to isoenergetic foods without protein. This benefit has not been verified in longer-term training studies. We compared body composition and muscle function responses to resistance training in males who consumed a carbohydrate or a multi-macronutrient beverage following each training session.
                METHODS: Nineteen, untrained men (18-25 years) consumed either a milk (MILK) or a carbohydrate-electrolyte (CHO) drink immediately following each workout during a 10 week resistance training program. Muscle strength (1RM for seven exercises), body composition (DXA scan), fasted, resting concentrations of serum total and free testosterone, cortisol, IGF-1, and resting energy expenditure (REE) were measured prior to and at the end of training.
                RESULTS: Resistance training caused an increase (44 +/- 4%, p < 0.001) in muscular strength for all subjects. The training program reduced percent body fat (8%, p < 0.05, -0.9 +/- 0.5 kg) and increased fat-free soft tissue (FFST) mass (2%, 1.2 +/- 0.3 kg, p < 0.01). MILK tended to increase body weight and FFST mass (p = 0.10 and p = 0.13, respectively) compared to CHO. Resting total and free testosterone concentrations decreased from baseline values in all subjects (16.7%, 11%, respectively, p < 0.05). Significant changes in fasting IGF-1, cortisol, and REE across training were not observed for either group.
                CONCLUSION: Post-resistance exercise consumption of MILK and CHO caused similar adaptations to resistance training. It is possible that a more prolonged training with supplementation period would expand the trend for greater FFST gains in MILK.
                PMID: 15310736 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Aug;86(2):373-81.
                Consumption of fat-free fluid milk after resistance exercise promotes greater lean mass accretion than does consumption of soy or carbohydrate in young, novice, male weightlifters.Hartman JW, Tang JE, Wilkinson SB, Tarnopolsky MA, Lawrence RL, Fullerton AV, Phillips SM.
                Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada.
                Abstract
                BACKGROUND: Acute consumption of fat-free fluid milk after resistance exercise promotes a greater positive protein balance than does soy protein.
                OBJECTIVE: We aimed to determine the long-term consequences of milk or soy protein or equivalent energy consumption on training-induced lean mass accretion.
                DESIGN: We recruited 56 healthy young men who trained 5 d/wk for 12 wk on a rotating split-body resistance exercise program in a parallel 3-group longitudinal design. Subjects were randomly assigned to consume drinks immediately and again 1 h after exercise: fat-free milk (Milk; n = 18); fat-free soy protein (Soy; n = 19) that was isoenergetic, isonitrogenous, and macronutrient ratio matched to Milk; or maltodextrin that was isoenergetic with Milk and Soy (control group; n = 19).
                RESULTS: Muscle fiber size, maximal strength, and body composition by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) were measured before and after training. No between-group differences were seen in strength. Type II muscle fiber area increased in all groups with training, but with greater increases in the Milk group than in both the Soy and control groups (P < 0.05). Type I muscle fiber area increased after training only in the Milk and Soy groups, with the increase in the Milk group being greater than that in the control group (P < 0.05). DXA-measured fat- and bone-free mass increased in all groups, with a greater increase in the Milk group than in both the Soy and control groups (P < 0.05).
                CONCLUSION: We conclude that chronic postexercise consumption of milk promotes greater hypertrophy during the early stages of resistance training in novice weightlifters when compared with isoenergetic soy or carbohydrate consumption.
                PMID: 17684208 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
                Attached Files

Comment

Grate post ronny! i think i will have to review my milk in take!

Comment

Working...
                  X