Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House unveils campaign to curb illegal online pharmacies

16-Dec-2010

US President Barack Obama has counterfeit medicines and other fake products in his sights, and earlier this week set up a public-private partnership - backed by commercial heavweights such as Google and Microsoft - to help stamp out the trade.

The new organisation will bring together 11 Internet commerce-focused companies (American Express, eNom, Inc., Go Daddy, Google, MasterCard, Microsoft, Neustar, Network Solutions, PayPal, Visa and Yahoo!) - along with federal offices such as the Department of Homeland Security, the Justice Department and US Customs - to develop a coordinated approach to targeting and taking down illegal online pharmacies.

The new initiative was announced earlier this week at the White House Intellectual Property Health and Safety Forum by Victoria Espinel, who was appointed Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator in February with a brief to tackle IP, trademark and copyright infringement.

The post was created last year when the US Congress passed the Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property Act of 2008.

In June, Espinel presented the Obama Administration's Strategic Plan on counterfeiting which included a raft of proposed measures, including a requirement for drugmakers to Notify the authorities when counterfeits are discovered and to provide details of their product ranges for a federal database, as well as a mandatory electronic pedigree system.

At the forum, a study from the Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies was revealed which showed that one in six Americans - or around 36m people - have purchased medicines over the Internet without a prescription.

"Those who sell prescription drugs online without a valid prescription are operating illegally, undercutting the laws that were put in place to protect patients, and are thereby endangering the public health," said Espinel.

"It is a real wake-up call that so many Americans have engaged in this dangerous behaviour.

Commenting on the initiative, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) president John Castellani said: "The ... decision to step up efforts to eliminate counterfeit medicines should not only be applauded but should also serve as a warning sign to criminals selling fake and harmful counterfeit pharmaceuticals to unsuspecting consumers."

He reiterated PhRMA's determination to lobby for an increase in the penalties for individuals found guilty of involvement in the counterfeit medicines trade.

"The average jail time for a counterfeiting crime is three years but we believe that 20 years is a better fit for such a potentially deadly crime," said Castellani.

source

Related articles:

Obama seeks action on online pharmacies domain names

Obama strategy on counterfeits calls for industry transparency

. It looks like they are looking for the same assholes that we try to avoid. The scams and rip-off artists that are trying to sell us counterfeits. If nothing else this could possibly clean up the market so that only legitimate drugs are sold by generic names. Lets be honest the president of the USA and the law enforcers could give two poops about public safety. The article says so itself they say they are interested in "copyright infringement" and "counterfeits". The truth is that the government is concerned about profits from big pharma. Lets face it lobbyists supporting big pharma also back the government. They make contributions to the people they support and in turn those people protect their businesses. Don't believe for a second the government of the USA cares about your health; they are protecting their own corrupt pockets.
    RonnyT
    Last edited by RonnyT; 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM.

grate thread, i can see some benefits if this happens if they do shut down scam sites but i hope they leave the good trust worthy sites other think the a lot of people would be messed up

Comment

Maybe woe-bama should concentrate on more important matters.

Comment

Bottom line is: If they are trying to clean up U.S.A. Then They should start in the white house and work there way down !!!! You agree????

Comment

not from US so don't know everything like but some of the stuff iv heard the white house dose sound a bit messed up haha

Comment

This is a good and bad thing. IMO regardless if left or right wing those POS in government dont care about you or me. Major kudos to big, start at the top and work the our way down.
            Muscles are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. Eat big to get big.

Comment

Hell no...they are looking at the 1 put of 6 americans that they lost getting their money. plus you also got to understand is they are exactly talking about this site and any other one out there that strips away cash from their greedy hands. It's easier to sell the plan or implement the law hen they use catch phrases like, "fake drugs from online pharmacies" and "the safety of the people from bogus online pharmacies" it's no different than the picture that's been painted about everyone that uses aas. You all are nothing but a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Roid rage, enlarged hearts, liver shot, no balls....blah blah blah.....government propaganda to scare the shit out of the uninformed.
              MODERN DAY GUNSLINGER

Comment

old article

But what if the system crushes you? This is an old article, cause history repeats itself over and over.

We all know about the war on drugs that started years ago in Thailand and ended in ?Operation Gear Grinder? in Mexico and more recently in operation Raw Deal against the raw powder (API) purchase in China. In my opinion it?s a country that turn against a big part of its own population, with severe punishments. A war against drugs, that must be against heroine, GHB, crack-houses and cocaine, right??? Wrong!! That is very difficult and the DEA has done that for years with only little success. Organised crime makes millions selling it, just like they did when the US was so smart to ban alcohol in the past. What is more simple then behind your computer infiltrating bodybuilding boards and discussion boards and searching the customers info of companies like ResearchLabSupply and San Rafael Chemical Services (SRCS). These where fishing expedition on the part of the FDA/IRS, and they went home with a nice catch. They made a list of underground laboratories who used ResearchLabSupply for lab-equipment, their vials, their sterile oils etc. And since it was and still is legal to buy those things everyone just used their real home address.

It made big success-stories in the media and the DEA made it look like a success story against very dangerous drugs. And it needs to be successful in order to keep the funds coming. Couldn?t this funds be better used in a war against real drugs, against child molesters and child-abusers/paedophiles, crack-dealers and crack-users, who, in order to pay for their addiction, are forced to commit crimes. But no, the US prefers the easy way. They rather hunt the bodybuilders, wrestlers, boxers, foot ballplayers, power-lifters and many other athletes.

Lets take a look at a recent case as can be read from the court documents from the internet.
                http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/fil...filiate.25.pdf

Let us take a look at the sad consequences this case has for the manufacturer/lab owner and his family.
                ?The case of the United States versus Tyler Stumbo?
                (link )
                Tyler Stumbo started to dig his own grave when he posted this advertisement on www.bodybuildingclassifieds.com on 29 august 2006.

?Hello All

My name is Oble, i run a small lab here in the states. I currently don?t sell online, however, I am doing my homework as we speak and am looking forward to switching my operations into the 21st century!
                Let me bore all of you real quick with my story?
                I?v been using anabolics for many years now. Back in the day, there were no online sources, not many UGLs (Under Ground Lab), no WU (Western Union), no e-gold, and nobody even knew what a message board was outside of the grocery store. These were the times when you actually had to drive to Mexico or hook up with a local bro.
                This is when I started selling gear.
                In the beginning, I was a Mexico runner, just hooking up bros. I then started buy larger quantities, and supply local sellers, and turning a profit. Then I discovered some of the very first online sources, and started buying from them. Things became cheaper and safer. The UGLs started popping up, and I started dealing with pretty much all of them. Once again, even cheaper.
                The next step in my evolution was buying unlabeled bulk vials from an UGL (who so happened to turn scammer and took me for 9k bucks) And relabeling them with my own labels. After my big loss, I started experimenting with brewing my own gear. This is now one of my favourite past times, and I have been doing it for about 1,5 years now. This is significantly dropped the price of my gear, and I now have about 8 bros who sell for me here in California. This is what I am trying to get away from, I?m not as cocky as I use to be, and now that I am married, I want the safety of doing it online. I feel I am doing way to much volume, and that my luck will some day run out. I?ve given my local bros a heads up that I am getting out of the business (even though I?m not, I?m just switching up my operation).
                So that?s my story. I will be posting in the open classifieds soon (hopefully within a month) with pics of all my goods, and a full price list. I will also be giving away a ton of freebies to get my name out there. I?m currently building up my stock to a comfortable level (I want a good coushin for my launch so nobody gets left out). If you want a preview price list, please feel free to drop me a PM. My business philosophy is keep the prices low, and keep the volume high, this is good for my suppliers, my customers, my customer?s customers, and in the end ME!
                Thanks for all your time, if you are reading this, please introduce yourselves!
                Stay safe
                -Oble?

We?ve seen where ?Oble? the nickname of Tyler Stumbo became the prey . Now lets take a look at the hunter. Chad Plennes was a licensed police officer in Wisconsin. He was a patrol officer, that worked in the village of Brown Dear. To escape from his pathetic little life he followed a four year college program. But he reached for an higher goal, he investigates large-scale narcotic organisations. How large-scale this is we?ll show later in this article. To become such a brilliant investigating special agent, he has worked and conferred with various experienced narcotic agents and has drawn from their knowledge and expertise (puke). If you like more of this ass-kissing just read the affidavit.

During the months of January and February 2007 an other brilliant mind a Special Agent a DEA Confidential Source mailed to Osoca Laboratories and tried to buy some steroids. They sent money via Western Union . According to the court papers they received two vials and three bottles. The DEA forwarded the vials and bottles to the DEA lab for analyses. The affidavit then reads on page 5: Two of the three steroids later tested positive as anabolic steroids. The third steroid is still pending analysis. In my perception two vials and three bottles make a total of five, but he, I?m no special agent.

The DEA then became assistance from Hush Communications from Canada and received three C.D?s with the e-mails from Osoca laboratories. They found that Osoca filed 88 separate steroid orders with a total sale of 36.024 USD. They also found the source in China that provided Osoca with raw powders. The DEA then researched for Tylers address and is shamelessly publicised just like all other personal information, like the address and the price of the house he bought in 2006. What really goes against the grain with me, is the fact that this publicly assessable document reveals his employment history. In a civilised country like the Netherlands unthinkable, but he, we also don?t chase our own people like criminals for such idiotic reasons as possession of steroids or marihuana.

What struck me was the demand ?a minimum penalty of ten years imprisonment and a maximum of life imprisonment plus a 250.000 USD fine.

And what crime is committed by this poor f**k?? He sold steroids!! Really?? What the f**k is wrong with the United States of America?? How extremely dangerous are these means?
                When we look at the basic facts from the Shaffer Library of Drug Policy (sourced through NIDA Research Monographs) http://druglibrary.net/schaffer/Library/basicfax.htm#q3

The number of drug deaths in the US in a typical year is as follows:
                Tobacco kills about 390.000. Sidestream smoke from tobacco kills about 50.000. Alcohol kills about 80.000. Cocaine kills about 2,200. Heroin kills about 2,000. Aspirin kills about 2,000. Marijuana kills 0. There has never been a recorded death due to marijuana at any time in US history. NEVER.

All illegal drugs combined kill about 4,500 people per year, or about one percent of the number killed by alcohol and tobacco. Tobacco kills more people each year than all of the people killed by all of the illegal drugs in the last century.
                The Department of Justice announced that there are now 1.5 million people in prisons across the United States, 59.6% of them are in because of Drug Offences.
                What does it cost to put a single drug dealer in jail?
                The cost to put a single drug dealer in jail is about $450,000, composed of the following:
                The cost for arrest and conviction is about $150,000.
                The cost for an additional prison bed is about $50,000 to $150,000, depending upon the jurisdiction.
                It costs about $30,000 per year to house a prisoner. With an average sentence of 5 years, that adds up to another $150,000.
                The same $450,000 can provide treatment or education for about 200 people. In addition, putting a person in prison produces about fifteen dollars in related welfare costs, for every dollar spent on incarceration. Every dollar spent on treatment and education saves about five dollars in related welfare costs.

And now we hear from a Senator that bashes steroid books. What?s next a public book burn??
                And that hypocritical phrase ?to protect our children?, protect them for what ? To destroy their live and those of their family in Iraq ( mass destruction bombs ) Afghanistan and next Iran Syria etc etc?time for people with common sense to rule the USA !!

Comment

I just reread the article and I found that I was optimistic about the next president. Thought that they would have seen the light by now. Maybe the next one ;-)

Comment

You are right on Ronny. Why there is such a profound hatred for aas in the united states is ridiculous and boils down to one basic thing. Professional sports or any type of organized sports and the radical whiners that come with it. If you listen to these people who unfortunately have the ability to sway government, you would believe aas is everywhere, in every high school, in every gym and anybody that is muscular and looks good has to be on steroids.
                    That is also why almost every other country laughs about us fat Americans. Sad, but it's true. We have the laziest people in super sized bulk form than anywhere.
                    I get so tired of every year my health insurance goes up and the most I use it for is two physicals and blood work a year. Then you got all these fatties crying because Medicaid is only paying for 3/4 of their diabetic supplies etc etc.
                    You don't see any senators making high empty calorie food illegal do you? There is no programs to try and help these people because unknown why? It has become socially acceptable in the US to wear your ass on backwards. Even the high school girls have huge muffin tops and they're ok with it.
                    However, go to the gym everyday, run, watch what you eat and possibly take aas and u are a monster.

Our society is seriously EFFED up!!!!!!
                    MODERN DAY GUNSLINGER

Comment

They want to raise the retirement age t0 like 77. Reason, being is hopefuly you will die before you can collect. Well guess what, their only helping us health freaks see we will out live them all. As long as we keep a watch on our blood work and stay in the gym. good post

Comment

Intersting article I agree with big245

Comment

Originally posted by gymrat View Post
                          Intersting article I agree with big245
                          Thanks gymrat !! If the Gov. officials would remove their heads from their As*es,,,,,Then and only then would they see where the problem really is !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mbig245 View Post
                            Bottom line is: If they are trying to clean up U.S.A. Then They should start in the white house and work there way down !!!! You agree????
                            Right on brother
                            ::::WOMAN: "Your a Man that makes people afraid and thats Dangerous..."
                            :::: MAN :"It's what people know about themselves inside that make them afraid..."

Comment

Working...
                            X