Preventing injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing injuries

I would like to give out some advice on proper warm-up to help avoid injuries while weight training. A proper warmup is the single best thing you can do to minimize your risk of injury. This simple 15 to 20 minute process will help prepare your mind and body for the workout ahead by increasing blood flow into the surrounding connective tissue and by lubricating and warming up the joints. I would recommend that you preform at least 5 minutes of some type of cardiovascular exercise before each workout such as the stationary bike or treadmill. Follow this up with at least 4 to 5 warmup sets of the first exercise you are about to preform.Do not underestimate the importance of a proper warmup before going all out with heavy weights. It will greatly reduce your chance of injury such as muscle pulls and tears.
    Next you want to be sure you exercise with proper form. This is another safety precaution that should be common sense to all bodybuilders but you would be surprised how many people train with terrible form. An espicially important thing to keep in mind is how you perform your back exercises such as deadlifts and barbell rows. You need to be sure to keep your back straight, not rounded. Rounding your back while preforming these exercices can lead to all types on injuries.
    Train within your limits. Another thing you think would be common sense but I see it all the time. Just because the guy next to you is pushing 400 on the bench press doesn't mean you have to. You need to lift a weight that you can lift while maintaining proper form and won't cause you to use any jerking or bouncing motions. This is all to often the reason for injury. Take your workout to the maximum that you can safely preform the exercise then call it quits.
    Finally listen to your body. By this I mean you need to listen to the little aches and pains that come with working out. Pain is a normal consequence of heavy weight training and is inevtable, but if you keep experiencing the same pains over and over again there might be something wrong.
    Train hard--- train often---but do it right and you'll maintain a long healthy life
Working...
X