Post Workout Meal (Important)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Workout Meal (Important)

The post workout meal is the most important meal of the day. In this thread I will try and explain as simple as possible.

Ok, most questions are what should I eat for post workout and what should I stay away from. There are two things you should eat, which is protein and carbs. The thing you want to stay away from is fat. Doing this thread I will explain the three and what roles they each play. Once you have mastered this you will feel more pumped and sure to reach your goal. So now that we know the two things we should eat, let's discuss fats. There is a time for eating fat and a time to not eat fat. The post workout meal is not the time. Why? fat slows down the digestion. So after working out out you need carbs and protein replacement ASAP. To add fat would slow down the digestion of protein and carbs. Slowing digestion is not the time during post workout meals.

drink about 3/4 of water to a gallon when you do the above mix it well and drink. or you can drink seperate, but asap. i mixed all in one thing.

Now your saying well, how much protein and carbs should i ingest and how soon after my workout, what food source should i be getting the protein and the carbs from? I know JM board so I know your thinking, (i'm one step ahead of your thoughts), so hold the pms. As to the question how soon for PWM, very soon ASAP, within seconds, mins, 30 mins is ok and one hour is pushing it, due to the state your body is in after trainning. I get mine in 15-20 mins after my trainning. I pre-prepare it.

WHAT SOURCE OF PROTEIN SHOULD I BE USING PWM.

Keep in mind just because you put this meal in 5 mins after trainning, does not mean it is being digested and use by the body quickly. Egg, fish, chicken are great protein that we eat during the day, they do not make quick PWM. Reason is by the time your body breaks these type of proteins down to much time has passed. (BEST PROTEIN IS WHEY, PROTEIN MIXED WITH WATER,(NOT MILK, REMEMBER STAY AWAY FROM ANY FAT) ). Whey protein in water will be disgested very quicker than whole foods. Whey is the fastest digested protein there is. Try to take in about .20-25 grams of protein per pound. If your well over 200 lbs, your saying damm that's a lot. I'm going to empty my 15 lb container in one day. I take in a little over 80 grams. each scoop is about 24 grams of protein and I take four scoops. Designer protein is a good choice.

CARBS FOR POST WORKOUT MEAL
    carbs can be good and bad, everything is timing as i explained with the protein. If your going to load up on carbs post workout meals is the time, as they are extremely import part of post workout nutrition. Carbs restore muscle glycogen. If your PWM, does not have carbs it can break down muscle tissue for this same purpose. carbs create insulin spike which push nutrients into the muscle quicker, which is what insulin does. As far as choice of carbs we know that good carbs are , whole wheat bread,brown rice, ect. This is one time you don't want to use good carbs. It goes back to (type) those types of carbs will slow down the disgestion, as they contain fiber and fiber slows disgestion down. (this is what makes these carbs good during the day). As with protein types you see that post workout meals are all about speed. So here where simple carbs beat complex or good carbs out. A bake potato is good after a workout, but in this case it's all about speed so it would take to long for the body to break down and use. (PAY ATTENTION DEXTROSE). IMPORTANT KEY. Dextrose is a type of surgar and yes I'm saying eat it. But only during post workout meals. This will push the protein and carbs into the system very quick. one should consume 0.25-0.4 grams of carbs per pound from dextrose, so 175 lbs person would take about 40-70 grams. If in question stick to the low or middle amount rather than high number of grams.
    SOMEONE RAISED A GOOD QUESTION, HOW LONG AFTER THIS PWM, BEFORE THEY SHOULD EAT THEIR MEAL, BRAKFAST, DINNER. THE ANSWER IS ABOUT 7O MINS. (YES YOU SHOULD EAT YOUR MEAL AFTER THIS)
    So here it's easy, before leaving for the gym pack a shaker bottle, water,5 grams of L-glutamine, 5 grams of creatine. After your workout mix it up and enjoy the ride home. Well good luck, try this if it works, I will post simlar threads. SOMEONE RAISE A GOOD QUESTION. HOW LONG AFTER THIS PWM, SHOULD YOU WAIT TO EAT YOUR MEAL, BREAKFAST, DINNER, LUNCH. THE ANSWER IS 70 MINS SHOULD BE ENOUGH. YES THIS IS NOT YOUR MEAL FOLKS, JUST A QUICK REPLACEMENT.
    SAFELIFE1
    Banned
    Last edited by SAFELIFE1; 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM.

Safe, you put a lot of time and energy into giving us good info. I for one, truly appreciate it. Thanks bro
    MODERN DAY GUNSLINGER

Comment

Hey biggin !!! How do you take in your dextrose????

Comment

I'm going to shoot you. You buy it from super market or healthfood store. Mix it with . Think they have it pre mixed with creatine. I buy my mine and mix it.

Comment

Originally posted by SAFELIFE1 View Post
          I'm going to shoot you. You buy it from super market or healthfood store. Mix it with . Think they have it pre mixed with creatine. I buy my mine and mix it.
          HAHAHAHAHA... So I can go to gnc and they should have it??? lolololollolo
          Yes, or the super market in the health section.
          SAFELIFE1
          Banned
          Last edited by SAFELIFE1; 02-22-2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Safelife, when I'm in the gym I take a large bottle of water and a carb/prot shake. I drink plenty of water but I also sip the shake gradually throughout the workout and then finish off what's left at the end. Am I doing the right thing here by doing this?

Comment

I WOULD TRY THE ABOVE AND SEE HOW YOU FEEL. YOU WANT TO EXSHUST EVERY THING DOING YOUR WORKOUT. THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE FOR WHAT YOU ARE DURING. BUT IN ORDER FOR THAT TO WORK YOU NEED INSULIN RELEASE TO GET IT INTO THE BLOOD STREAM QUICKLY. wHEN YOU SIP THAT YOUR NOT GETTING THAT IN QUICK ENOUGH. gUYS DO THAT ALL DAY LONG. tHERE IS A TIME AND PLACE FOR EVERYTHING. WHEN YOU DO THE ABOVE DRINK A LOT OF WATER WITH YOUR PROTIEN. Your answer juicedK. Read the thread there is a time and a place for what your doing. i will explain that as well in another thread. But if you do the above muscle will be full and if you nap after, man you will b pumped upon waken. But it must be the isolate protein and all the other stuff above. If you dont have detrose yet, try sWeet cookies, I don't advise this long term but it can't hurt you until u get dextrose.
              SAFELIFE1
              Banned
              Last edited by SAFELIFE1; 02-23-2011, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Anyone wanted the dextrose, go on line gnc , vit shop don't sell it. A natural health food store would sale it. But i would go on line get a 10 lb bag for 19.00 plus shipping.

Comment

Another great post, very useful, thanks.

JM's big brother.

Comment

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/dex.html Is this one good to go?

Comment

Yes, that's it. Damm I can see i better get my pro card before you guy step next to me. Think I'm telling too much. Just kiddin, i will you all well.

Comment

Hey safelife !!! I'm already flexing on you!!! Front bicep shot!!!!!

Comment

so after taking the Iso shake right after the workout with dextrose, what the waiting time for the actual meal say breakfast since I workout @5am fasting? 2-3 hours as usual?

Comment

I would say about 70 mins should be good. Good question

Comment

Shit and here I was thinking the pre-workout meal was the most important. I knew that fats digested slowly but I had clue it impacted the digestion of carbs and protein as well. Thanks for the information.
                              Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

Comment

Working...
                              X