Thick Bar Training for Grip Strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick Bar Training for Grip Strength

Thick bar training strengthen your hand and forearm muscles more than training with the regular bars. But thick bars are hard to find in gyms. There are commercial fat grips out there. They are a bit pricey though, for me at least.
    If you're looking for alternative fat grips, here's a way to make homemade thick bar handles for strong grip training. Mainly made from pvc, they're inexpensive and easy to assemble.

bodybuilding, fitness and other tips

Interesting.... I heard of the fat bar for bench but not for dumbbells...

Comment

Nice Avi Big, Finally got that resolved. What I did, I got me some 2 inch exhaust pipe and use it as a curl bar, Like that I still use my olympic weights. Dont think you can use it for benching dont think it'll hold.

Comment

Charles poliquin believes in them heavily!!! Less strain on wrists and hits the muscle different.
        "It's only after you've lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Comment

One of my favorites (old school) Great for grip and forearms -
          ODB
          Last edited by ODB; 03-13-2011, 02:43 AM.
          "GYM + JUICE"

Comment

I think the approach makes sense. I've always wanted a strong grip (not just heavy weight but also pulling big things) and these would be cool. I like the approach of stuff like fatgripz since are probably cheaper than buying thick DBs.

If we think about the size of things like a guy's arm or leg, standard bars are pretty thin.

Comment

trying to talk one of my gym owners to let me make one outta PVC on an extra bar he's got.i already have a 2 and 3 board set up for when i do mid-range work.

Comment

I must be missing something. If resistance movements strengthen. Then how would grip thickness provide resistance?

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
                  I must be missing something. If resistance movements strengthen. Then how would grip thickness provide resistance?
                  The theory is that grabbing a thicker bar reruits more muscle fibers to hold it,hence enhancing the excercise.Try grabbing a thin bar where you can really wrap your hand around it and see how much you can hold ,then grab a thicker bar and try the same thing.You'll see how much more you can grip on the thinner bar and how much less as the bar gets thicker.

Comment

Originally posted by F.I.S.T. View Post
                    The theory is that grabbing a thicker bar reruits more muscle fibers to hold it,hence enhancing the excercise.Try grabbing a thin bar where you can really wrap your hand around it and see how much you can hold ,then grab a thicker bar and try the same thing.You'll see how much more you can grip on the thinner bar and how much less as the bar gets thicker.
                    Hmmm, the theory sounds good. I think I'll try experimenting. Damn I love these exploratory discussions. Thanks for the contribution there Bro...

Comment

Working...
                    X