Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronda Rousey to MMA legend: Quit the steroids and fight me

Ronda Rousey to MMA legend: Quit the steroids and fight me

The past four opponents who have stepped in the Octagon with Ronda Rousey have lasted a combined 130 seconds.

For all her trash talk and promise of taking the UFC title home to Brazil, Bethe Correia only made it 34 seconds with the most dominant athlete on the planet as Rousey landed a first-round knockout for the third time in her career.

Considering the way Rousey has been thrashing her opposition lately, it’s no surprise that the subject of former Strikeforce champion Cris “Cyborg” Justino always seems to come up after another dominant win from the UFC women’s bantamweight champion.

Justino was the most feared fighter in the women’s division for years before Rousey came along, knocking out opponent after opponent in a vicious manner.

Cyborg has lobbied for the fight with Rousey for years, but she competes at 145 pounds and the UFC doesn’t have a division for her so there have been multiple attempts to get her down to the next weight class so the bout could come together.

Following her latest win, Rousey reiterated her demands for a fight with Cyborg to happen in the UFC: get down to 135 pounds or kiss that title shot goodbye.

“I’m prepared to deal with anything. That’s why I’m the champ,” Rousey said. “I fight in the UFC 135-pound division.

“She can fight at 145 pumped full of steroids and she can make weight just like everybody else without them.”

UFC president Dana White stated he’s more than happy to put the fight together tomorrow if the Brazilian slugger can cut down to 135 pounds to face Rousey in the Octagon.

“That fight is ready to roll whenever Cyborg is ready,” White said.

Cyborg took to Facebook following Rousey’s win to express her opinion about the UFC champion’s performance while also promising that her next fight would take place at 140 pounds while gradually making the effort to get down to the bantamweight limit.

“My next fight is 140lbs. Then I hope we get a chance to give fans the most violent fight in the history of MMA!” Cyborg wrote.

For now it appears Rousey is moving on to a third fight with Miesha Tate while Cyborg will compete in Invicta Fighting Championships at least one more time before hopefully getting down to 135 pounds for a trip to the UFC in 2016.

- - - Updated - - -

Cris 'Cyborg' Justino threatens to sue Ronda Rousey over steroid comment

Ronda Rousey's next fight with Cris "Cyborg" Justino won't be in the octagon, but it could be in a court of law.

After Rousey's 34-second knockout victory over Bethe Correia at UFC 190 on Saturday, the bantamweight champion was asked whether MMA fans would next see her in the octagon against Cris "Cyborg" Justino, which the champion shrugged off. But not without striking a nerve.

"I'm prepared to deal with anything, that's why I'm the champion. I fight in the UFC, in the 135-pound division," Rousey said. "She can fight at 145 pumped full of steroids or she can make the weight just like everybody else without them."

Rousey (12-0) was making reference to Justino's 2011 positive test for anabolic steroids, which cost the "Cyborg" the Strikeforce featherweight title. Since then, however, Justino (14-1) and now with Invicta FC says she has not failed a drug test.

"You can not slander me with lies in the media," Justino tweeted in response. "My lawyer will call."

For now, Rousey's next opponent with be Miesha Tate (17-5), whom she has beaten twice before by submission.

Rousey is undefeated in the ring. In court, she might be just as vulnerable as some of her opponents.

Working...
X