steroids..which steroids ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steroids..which steroids ??

In the media we always read about steroids. About the ?roid rage? the gyno, the bloat and other effects and side-effects.
    Somewhere the authorities came to some senses and gave funds to Marilyn Y McGinnis from the University of Texas Health Science Center, to perform a study to the effect on different steroids.
    The original funding period was :1998-02-20 - 2006-06-30 later a new study completed(?) the study. Is it usefull? I guess not, but its interesting. The research team has no direct knowledge about AAS use and stacking, nor about dosing, this is very clear, also keep in mind who provides the funds. What is very interesting is that the research makes a difference in the chemical composition of the steroids. It uses testosterone (though a long estrification makes much difference with a short estrification) a nor-19 variant the nandrolone and a androgenic variant the stanozolol, what I miss is a 17 mythelated compound an oral, especially in the stack, real bodybuilders always ?tickle? their liver. Also an anti-estrogen is used and would change the outcome, for the rest it is an interesting read. What the researchers don?t know is that expirienced users/bodybuilders always combine the more anbolic compounds with the more androgenic compounds to ?balance? their cycle. Unless they cycle for an distinct reason, like massbuilding, then mostly testosterone and methandienone is used. All in all refreshing and sometimes it brings a laugh on your face. The italic part is my comment and I hope you guys will participate in the discussion when I post it in the forum.

The overall goal of this research is to understand the impact of peripubertal AAS abuse on sociosexual and reproductive maturation. This is an important area of AAS research in view of recent data indicating that AAS abuse has risen in teenagers. Critical hormonal and neurological changes occur during puberty which are responsible for the development and expression of aggressive, sexual and sociosexual behaviors. As human studies often rely on subjective reports, a rat model is used to study AAS effects on behavior.
    The aims of this project are to assess the behavioral and neuroendocrine consequences of AAS abuse in pubertal rats. Our work has focused on the individual effects of three commonly abused AAS, testosterone propionate , nandrolone and stanozolol . In adults we found that testsoterone propionate stimulates aggression, and a phase advance in circadian rhythms. In contrast, stanozolol suppresses aggression and sexual behavior. Because stanozolol is not aromatizable.
    ? Aim 1 will determine whether the suppressive effect of stanozolol on aggressive and reproductive behaviors is due to lack of estrogenic exposure. The results of this study will also demonstrate whether estrogen is required for development of sociosexual and aggressive behaviors in pubertal males.
    ? Aim 2 will assess whether the behavioral changes resulting from peripubertal AAS abuse are reversible. Since AAS users typically "stack" (combine) AAS,
    ? Aim 3 will determine whether 'stacking' ameliorates or exaggerates AAS effects on aggression and reproductive behavior. We previously found that testosterone induces an exaggerated response to physical provocation even toward non-threatening opponents.
    ? Aim 4 will examine whether this phenomenon extends to aggression toward females.
    ? Aim 5 will investigate whether serotonin plays a role in mediating AAS effects on aggression to delineate possible mechanisms underlying AAS effects on brain in juveniles. The fact that dynamic hormonal changes occur during puberty, and the brain is affected by these hormonal influences, emphasizes the need for more research on the effects of AAS exposure during adolescence.

Aggression in male rats receiving Anabolic Androgenic steroids: effects of social and environmental provocation
    This study examined the effects of anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) on aggression under different social and environmental conditions. Three AAS were tested in gonadally intact male rats: testosterone propionate (TP), nandrolone (ND), and stanozolol (ST). Doses of 5 mg/kg were given 5 times/week (?? If you compare this to a normal guy of 100 kg), with gonadally intact controls receiving vehicle only (propylene glycol). Animals received six weekly tests under each condition in a counterbalanced order. Results show that the three AAS differed in their ability to elicit aggression. Males receiving TP were more aggressive than controls, ND males were similar to controls, and ST males were less aggressive than controls. In the social and environmental provocation tests TP-treated males were more aggressive than other groups, but were able to discriminate between intact and castrated opponents and between their home cage and a neutral cage. In the environmental provocation test, TP males were also more aggressive against opponents when tested in the opponent's home cage. It is suggested that chronic exposure to high levels of TP does not eliminate the ability to discriminate between social or environmental cues, as might be expected if it induces a ? roid rage.? However, TP does increase the likelihood that the animal will respond with aggression/dominance in a provoking situation. All three AAS variably affected serum testosterone and LH levels, as well as testes, seminal vesicle, and prostate weights. No effect on body weight was observed (What?? What did they feed them? Bodyweight increases with AAS use 1996 Bhasin et al )

to be continued see also http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...22%5BAuthor%5D and participate if you like (interactive remember )

Impact of anabolic androgenic steroids on adolescent males.

Anabolic androgenic steroid (AAS) use increased dramatically among adolescent males. This review focuses on studies using animal models of AAS exposure during adolescence which is a hormonally sensitive developmental period. AAS exposure during this critical period has wide-ranging consequences, including increased dendritic spine density, altered brain serotonin levels and escalated aggression in response to physical provocation. Human data suggest that AAS induces indiscriminate and unprovoked aggression often described as "'roid rage". However, animal studies indicate that the behavioral impact of AAS is modulated by experiential and social contingencies, a perceived provocation, and the chemical composition of the AAS. The AAS, testosterone increases aggression in juvenile and adult male rats when physically provoked. In contrast, stanzolol, inhibits aggression in both juvenile and adult male rats, even when physically provoked. Nandrolone has minimal effects on aggression, unless preceded by attack training. Exposure to AAS during adolescence may have a host of unintended bio-behavioral consequences. Yet, the perception of harmlessness surrounds AAS use. The perception of harmlessness is promoted by the availability of AAS especially through internet pharmacies. The perception of acceptability is reflected in current cultural ethics that no longer condemn cheating to obtain personal achievement or success. A prevailing conviction is that although AAS are illegal they are not really bad. Reduction of the availability of AAS to adolescents requires ardent legislative and legal intervention. The problem of acceptability can be addressed by educating adolescents about the short-term and long-term effects of AAS on brain and behavior, to increase awareness of the potential consequences of AAS use that apply directly to them.

I think that violence - agression and destructive behavior from AAS use is only a fraction of those that use alcohol. Why don't we find research studies on domestic violence, agression etc etc under influence of alcohol, why don't they want to forbid it?? Maybe because they tried that before remember Al Capone. And maybe it brings in a lot of cash.

Comment

Good read there Ronny T. I think to some guys, A/S is like having beer muscle. Even if your Big as heck, if u can't fight you can't fight. I seen some of the biggest muscle guys get their butts kicked by guys five time smaller. I think some guys when they take stuff they think they can take on the world. I always tell my friends, "check yourself before u reck yourself".. Anyway good read. One more things, it's like guys who use to get their butt kicked in school and now their cops and their tough. Only thing saves them, is they can make a pen put u away for life. Once they right that report it's almost in gold when the judge sees it. I think this stuff is all mental and some effects from the drug I beleive..... Just my thoughts..

Comment

Interesting post. It was very enlightening. People fear what they don't know about A/S, we only hear what the media and few medical doctors tells us that steroids are killing our kids. Well, if this is as large of a epidemic as the media tries to portray then where are the bodies and studies to prove your theories? I don't turn on my TV and see commercial for ways to prevent kids from using steroids but preventing out kids from smoking and alcohol, why? Because this is our epidemic! But because out government can tax the hell out of these industries and make millions of dollars they don't mind having a few thousand bodies show up every year due to these products. Just because you place a surgeon general warning does not mean that the consumer is going to abide by that and still not abuse the alcohol or tobacco, so how are you to ban a substance that you have no TRUE evidence on the long term use or dangers of A/S. When the reality is they are MIRACLE workers in the medical feild and to people who need help producing muscle and red blood cells. So if we are placing steroids into our medicine then why are those using the product not dying, or showing sings of "roid rage"? They can never sit down and show of ACTUAL FACTS to anyone, why is that? Because the actuall ban on steroids, which will not even allow a medical doctor to look into how steroids could be used in this country safe and leagally.

Sorry about the little rant, it just really pisses me off that we have so many other harmful things in our country that you can go and buy each and everyday to slowly but surely kill yourself, but someone who wants to use A/S is a felon. Does this make sense to you guys at all? People are doing it for their own personal gains not to rebel against the government. If you were to take a look at arrest because of druken behavior you would see the number to be 100x of someone being arrested for that of having or selling steroids. Its ok if you go get drunk with a couple buddies and someone thinks they now have "beer muscles" they will deiced to get into a fight and then later be arrested for assault. I think in this day and age that we need to re-evaluate or social morals and truly see what is wrong in our society.......just a thought.

RonnyT great post!

Comment

poor animals

Anabolic androgenic steroids differentially affect social behaviors in adolescent and adult male Syrian hamsters

Kaliris Y. Salas-Ramirez,a* Pamela R. Montalto,b and Cheryl L. Siska

Anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) are synthetic derivatives of testosterone used by over half a million adolescents in the United States for their tissue-building potency and performance-enhancing effects. AAS also affect behavior, including reports of heightened aggression and changes in sexual libido. The expression of sexual and aggressive behaviors is a function of complex interactions among hormones, social context, and the brain, which is extensively remodeled during adolescence. Thus, AAS may have different consequences on behavior during adolescence and adulthood. Using a rodent model, these studies directly compared the effects of AAS on the expression of male sexual and aggressive behaviors in adolescents and adults. Male Syrian hamsters were injected daily for 14 days with either vehicle or an AAS cocktail containing testosterone cypionate (2 mg/kg), nandrolone decanoate (2 mg/kg), and boldenone undecylenate (1 mg/kg), either during adolescence (27?41 days of age) or in adulthood (63?77 days of age). The day after the last injection, males were tested for either sexual behavior with a receptive female or agonistic behavior with a male intruder. Adolescent males treated with AAS showed significant increases in sexual and aggressive behaviors relative to vehicle-treated adolescents. In contrast, AAS-treated adults showed significantly lower levels of sexual behavior compared with vehicle-treated adults and did not show heightened aggression. Thus, adolescents, but not adults, displayed significantly higher behavioral responses to AAS, suggesting that the still-developing adolescent brain is more vulnerable than the adult brain to the adverse consequences of AAS on the nervous system and behavior.

Comment

"science"" ??

This one is really hilarious, they inject those poor animals DAILY with a cocktail of long-estrificated steroids. Cypionate has an half life of 6-7 days, Decanoate 7-8 days and Undecanoate approximately 20 days. They only inject 14 days!! The dose is high, 5 mg/kg, compared to a guy from 100 kg, that would be 500 gr/100kg DAILY!! The means hardly have time to hit, and the little creatures have a short lifespan, thus those long half-life are a considerable part of their adolescence ( 27-41 days). And now we assume they used a light carrier like EO, other carriers can even prolong half-life considerably (see abstract).

Still the researchers manage to come to conclusion. I dunno how??

Abstract
            Objective:
            In the search for long-acting testosterone preparations suited for substitution therapy of hypogonadal men, testosterone undecanoate (TU) dissolved in either tea seed oil or castor oil was investigated.
            Design:
            * In study I, 1000 mg TU in tea seed oil (125 mg/ml) were injected in equal parts into the gluteal muscles of seven hypogonadal men.
            * In study II, 1000mg TU in castor oil (250 mg/ml) were injected into one gluteal muscle of 14 patients.
            Results:
            In comparison with published data on testosterone enanthate, most widely used for i.m. injections, the kinetic profiles of both TU preparations showed extended half-lives and serum levels not exceeding the upper limit of normal.
            The TU-castor oil preparation had a longer half-life than TU in tea seed oil 34 vs 21 days European Journal of Endocrinology 140 414–419

This research was also used to create Nibido which is solved in Castor oil.
            RonnyT
            Last edited by RonnyT; 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

The above research means that all kinetic profiles and half-lives of oily preparations either steriodal or not, (posted on almost every bodybuilding website) are worthless unless you know the exact carrier and now I'm not even discussing co-solvents, preservatives etc. A university in Sweden did much research, but I'm afraid it would bore you guys..

Atletes on doping that are tested should know this..

Comment

Oneandonly, you EXACTLY understood what I meant with this post. Words from my heart, and I think out of anyone’s heart. Who is troubling the USA, the bodybuilders that are very disciplined and live clean?, or the heavy drugusers, without a job, stealing to be able to score again, paedophiles, alcoholists. Why are steroids ( aka PED’s or doping) so prominent in the news and on the media whether it is about baseball – body image disorder – Olympic sports (Balco)– celebrities (Orlando pharmacy).

We are treated on “scientific” surveys – studies –research etc that should make us clear how dangerous and youth threatening AAS use is. Are the authorities that na?ve, or is all meant to cover up the real problems. Its not the availability of AAS that is a problem but by example the availability of guns as the highschool shootings and the recent killing of the judge and attempt to kill the female congress member showed clearly.

Comment

Great post RonnyT and the answers are never simple. Like you said they run a "Study" and they amplify the dosages on young lab rats who spend there lives in cages and are probably pissed to begin with for being locked up lol and then say see roids causes abnormal behavior. I have always been of the opinion that any government study will be prejudiced from the beginning to insure their agenda is met. If they really wanted a truthful over the top federally funded study on the long term use of AAS theres nothing stopping them from pulling together some willing subjects and finding a top flight Medical/sports team of experts to have at it. Then administer these doses high and low in a controlled study over a long period of time with regular blood work and we'd have our answers.........but it will never happen because if it did they would have to change the laws becasue the study would reveal that there are to many benefits of steriod use and not enough long term side effects to warrant kepping them labeled as they are now

Comment

In Italy until 2000 you walked in a pharmacy and get which AAS you want: none spoke about it, there was no problem. after 2001 when a like-USA law was applied ther is the doping issue...what,20 years of free AAS ( when you bought more than 100$ of AAS the pharmacist gave you some carnitin or vitamins for free ) and no problem and now there is the problem? And no one ask himself about the correlation between the 2 facts???
                    About the 2 studies: if you bring the more calm guy(100kg guy) in the world and a day you begin to inject him with 500mg of testo for 5 times/week what do you think he will feel himself? a little more horny and susceptible no?

Comment

Working...
                    X