bodybuilders on pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bodybuilders on pot

I just added an article on cannabis usage. I'll add an other one later about the effects of THC on hormones. http://juicedmuscle.com/jmblog/content/smoking-pot

There are many (sometimes conflicting) studies on cannabis usage and hormones like thyroid - testosterone - estrogen etc here is one:

"Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women.

Block RI, Farinpour R, Schlechte JA.

Department of Anesthesia, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242.

To investigate possible effects of chronic marijuana use on reproductive and stress hormones, we assayed testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin, and cortisol in 93 men and 56 women with a mean (+/- S.E.) age of 23.5 +/- 0.4 years. Hormone values were compared among groups of subjects stratified according to frequency of marijuana use (frequent, moderate and infrequent; N = 27, 18, and 30, respectively) and non-using controls (N = 74). Chronic marijuana use showed no significant effect on hormone concentrations in either men or women.

Anyone wants to share his expiriences with us?

One thing I do know is that studies have been done on the long term affect of perma-lazy in humans. They found that it does not affect all people however it does affect a large number of chronic pot users. What the studies have shown is that it basicly lowers that driving urge to want "get up and go" not just well on it but well off it too. I wish I had the offical report but it did say that you never get it back so most people have to try twice as hard to motivate themselves to do things. Mind you this was a study done on "chronic" users over the course of many years. I do know that I smoked A LOT REAL GOOD POT back in my younger years and believe me when I say that I would validate this study IMO. As far as the affects of it on body building if you have the motivation to get to the gym and give it all you got while you are there then no harm no foul. As a matter of fact all the people here who have "eating issues" maybe should light one up and enjoy a buffet of high protien, low fat, and complex carb foods
    Never mistake kindness for weakness...

Comment

I know some people that smoked bud including myself I can say it was good to take a few tokes after a work out most of the time I would get to the gym late and when I got home I would be all wound up it helped me calm down eat like a double headed rino as long as u don't smoke before ur work out ur gtg but heavy use imo wouldnt be good for motavation

Comment

I can chime in here...

I have been a fairly regular smoker for a good portion of my life. I use pot as a way to wind down after a long day, allow my muscles and mind the chance to relax, and it helps keep my appetite in check while I'm bulking. With that said, I only smoke at night prior to bed when I am sitting down relaxing. Most of the time I use a vaporizer to cut down on carcinogens and such.

I have never noticed a single ill side effect from it, in fact the only side effect i experience other than the high is an increase in appetite if I'm not in a bulking phase. As an ex-cigarette smoker I can tell you it has never affected my cardio or breathing ability like the tobacco did back in the day. I believe that as long as you're using it responsibly and not frying yourself out on it all day long it actually has many beneficial effects, at least in terms of what it helps me with. Just my .02

Comment

personally i never liked the idea of anything that messes with that natural reward system that we all have. i have never smoked pot but from what i'm told it is like that first time u lift 300 pounds just without all the blood rushing etc, u know the smile and warm feeling inside of "i did it " and i'm always amused by how many people act as if it's for medical purpose lol as far as i know there are alot of better painkillers or w/e u think u need it for out there. seems more like people just wanna get high to me haha but anyway thats just how i have always seen it alcohol and alot of different drugs taken for "feelings" or w/e to me they dont really have a place in life and i dont think i will ever touch any of them
          but hey thats just what i think and i'm a idiot so don't listen to me
          Hackleech

Comment

Originally posted by hackleech View Post
            personally i never liked the idea of anything that messes with that natural reward system that we all have. i have never smoked pot but from what i'm told it is like that first time u lift 300 pounds just without all the blood rushing etc, u know the smile and warm feeling inside of "i did it " and i'm always amused by how many people act as if it's for medical purpose lol as far as i know there are alot of better painkillers or w/e u think u need it for out there. seems more like people just wanna get high to me haha but anyway thats just how i have always seen it alcohol and alot of different drugs taken for "feelings" or w/e to me they dont really have a place in life and i dont think i will ever touch any of them
            I would say that it's nothing like the endorphin rush you're referring to when you've made a great accomplishment. The medical purpose thing definitely has is place, but sure, there's plenty of people who just "like" to get high. Everyone has their own vices in life; their own ways of dealing, coping, and managing the world around them. Be it something physical or mental, to each their own.

As for taking it for a "feeling", well, we all do this everyday in our lives. Most of the time completely unbeknownst to ourselves. We might fall in love, we might donate money or food to those less fortunate, we might "cheat" for a weekend and pound down some food we shouldn't. We tell ourselves we have reasons and purpose behind it, but broken down it's a simple system of "natural rewards" no matter how you slice it. Humans were designed to be hooked on a feeling. It's allowed us to do many great things.

Comment

to wrap it up, yeah thats what i meant i dont believe in messing with the natural reward system when u lift a new weight at the gym or donate money ur doing something good or well atleast u are trying to where as with weed or w/e ur kinda trying to trick yourself if u know what i mean of course if ur an occasional weed smoker there is probably no harm done. but nonetheless(thats a word right? lol) i'm not interested in messing with it to begin with
              Hackleech

Comment

Originally posted by hackleech View Post
                to wrap it up, yeah thats what i meant i dont believe in messing with the natural reward system when u lift a new weight at the gym or donate money ur doing something good or well atleast u are trying to where as with weed or w/e ur kinda trying to trick yourself if u know what i mean of course if ur an occasional weed smoker there is probably no harm done. but nonetheless(thats a word right? lol) i'm not interested in messing with it to begin with
                Trick yourself? I think we might be starting to get tripped up in semantics, but here:

It's just a cause and effect rule. All of those ways you just listed are using some form of exogenous means to illicit a response. We could stay here and discuss inherent nobility of those means all day....LOL.

We're getting too far off topic though...Back to subject. I've also had my blood tested several times while using pot and not using it. Nothing about my hormone levels has ever come back showing values above or below where my norm is at.

Comment

Conflicting studies:
                  Antiestrogenic effects of marijuana smoke condensate and cannabinoid compounds.
                  Lee SY, Oh SM, Lee SK Chung KH. Arch Pharm Res. 2005 Dec;28(12):1365-75.
                  Source: National Institute of Scientific Investigation, Seoul, Korea.
                  Abstract
                  The antiestrogenic effects of marijuana smoke condensate (MSC) and three major cannabinoids, ie., delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabinol (CBN), were evaluated using in vitro bioassays, viz., the human breast cancer cell proliferation assay, the recombinant human estrogen receptor (ER) competitive binding assay, and the reporter gene assay. The inhibitory effects on estrogen were also examined using the ethoxyresorufin-O-deethylase (EROD) assay, the aromatase assay, and the 17beta-estradiol (E2) metabolism assay. The results showed that MSC induced the antiestrogenic effect via the ER-mediated pathway, while THC, CBD, and CBN did not have any antiestrogenic activity. This suggests that the combined effects of the marijuana smoke components are responsible for the antiestrogenicity of marijuana use. In addition, MSC induced the CYP1A activity and the E2 metabolism, but inhibited the aromatase activity, suggesting that the antiestrogenic activity of MSC is also related to the indirect ER-dependent pathway, as a result of the depletion of the in situ E2 level available to bind to the ER. In conclusion, pyrogenic products including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the non-polar fraction, which is the most biologically active fraction among the seven fractions of MSC, might be responsible for the antiestrogenic effect.

Estrogenic effects of marijuana smoke condensate and cannabinoid compounds.
                  Lee SY, Oh SM, Chung KH. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2006 Aug 1;214(3):270-8.
                  Source: National Institute of Scientific Investigation, 331-1 Shinwol-7-dong, Yangcheon-gu, Seoul 158-707, Korea.
                  Abstract
                  Chronic exposure to marijuana produces adverse effects on the endocrine and reproductive systems in humans; however, the experimental evidence for this presented thus far has not been without controversy. In this study, the estrogenic effect of marijuana smoke condensate (MSC) was evaluated using in vitro bioassays, viz., the cell proliferation assay, the reporter gene assay, and the ER competitive binding assay. The results of these assays were compared with those of three major cannabinoids, i.e., THC, CBD, and CBN. The estrogenic effect of MSC was further confirmed by the immature female rat uterotrophic assay. MSC stimulated the estrogenicity related to the ER-mediated pathway, while neither THC, CBD, nor CBN did. Moreover, treatment with 10 and 25 mg/kg MSC induced significant uterine response, and 10 mg/kg MSC resulted in an obvious change in the uterine epithelial cell appearance. MSC also enhanced the IGFBP-1 gene expression in a dose-dependent manner. To identify the constituents of MSC responsible for its estrogenicity, the MSC fractionated samples were examined using another cell proliferation assay, and the estrogenic active fraction was analyzed using GC-MS. In the organic acid fraction that showed the strongest estrogenic activity among the seven fractions of MSC, phenols were identified. Our results suggest that marijuana abuse is considered an endocrine-disrupting factor. Furthermore, these results suggest that the phenolic compounds contained in MSC play a role in its estrogenic effect.

Comment

lol well thats not how i meant it but i'll leave it at that cus like u said off topic now
                    Hackleech

Comment

i looooooove my purp! i smoke throughout the day, everyday. i quit smoking for 10 months, and nothing changed; except maybe the motivation. sometimes i do get too high and ps3 will come between me and the gym. but i smoke on my way to the gym sometimes, and honestly if anything, it helps me focus more. when im smoked out, i keep to myself more, wasting less time bullshitting with friends and staring at the women
                      Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Comment

Originally posted by PushinWeight View Post
                        i looooooove my purp! i smoke throughout the day, everyday. i quit smoking for 10 months, and nothing changed; except maybe the motivation. sometimes i do get too high and ps3 will come between me and the gym. but i smoke on my way to the gym sometimes, and honestly if anything, it helps me focus more. when im smoked out, i keep to myself more, wasting less time bullshitting with friends and staring at the women
                        Hell yeah thats what Im talking about. I enjoy my bud. I smoke it all day. I do it because I am a web designer and it helps with my creativity, and also I have back backpains that it helps relieve. But getting blazed is priceless.

Comment

new http://juicedmuscle.com/jmblog/conte...nd-bodybuilder

Comment

Had a hard time reading the blog with those pics Ronny! Who is she?
                            Never mistake kindness for weakness...

Comment

Nice read brotha!

Comment

Working...
                              X