Possible GSP vs Nick Diaz Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible GSP vs Nick Diaz Fight

It appears the first major cross-promotional fight between the UFC and Strikeforce could be coming to a head within the next few days.

After beating Jake Shields at UFC 129 in Toronto, it looked like Georges St-Pierre had all but cleaned out the best of the best in the welterweight division? except for one person. That one person is on the verge of signing to face St-Pierre later this year in a 170-pound title bout.

Nick Diaz is likely to face St-Pierre for his next UFC welterweight title defense in 2011, with all signs pointing towards a December showdown in Montreal.

Sources have indicated to MMAWeekly.com that a deal is imminent and the fight could be announced as early as next week. Like any potential deal, there is always the chance something could change at the 11th hour, but St-Pierre vs. Diaz is almost a certainty at this point.

Signs started pointing towards a St-Pierre/Diaz showdown almost as soon as UFC 129 ended when UFC president Dana White fielded questions from the press about the likelihood of the fight happening.

?I imagine I could do whatever I wanted to do if I really wanted to, but we have a contract with Showtime and he?s a Showtime fighter. I don?t know, we?re going to have to see how this whole thing works out. That?s an interesting fight,? White said about Diaz coming over to face St-Pierre.

Following that statement, Diaz was on the verge of signing a deal that would have him fight former middleweight champion Jeff Lacy in a boxing match, unless the UFC came forward with a deal to fight St-Pierre.

?Unless GSP is offered up as a sacrifice, Nick will fight Lacy,? Diaz?s manager and trainer Cesar Gracie told MMAWeekly.com on May 6.

Now it looks like the UFC is ready to make the match-up happen.

More signs started to point towards the fight being put together when the UFC director of Canadian operations Tom Wright mentioned a show targeted for Montreal in December, and admitted there had been rumors about a St-Pierre/Diaz title fight.

?Well, I?ve heard about the Nick Diaz-GSP fight, but it is too early (to tell),? Wright said.

On Thursday, Diaz was in Las Vegas meeting with White to discuss his future plans, which included if he was going to box or stick with MMA this year.

Neither Gracie nor St-Pierre?s representation could be reached for comment at the time of publication. Sources have indicated, however, that the two fighters will meet later this year.

St-Pierre has long stated that his preference was to stay in the welterweight division, and while a super fight against UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva could happen at some point down the road, the Brazilian is currently scheduled for a title defense of his own in late August.

That leaves St-Pierre with one major opponent left to face, Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz.

Eh. Diaz will lose and it'll go the distance and St Pierre won't be able to finish off yet another opponent. Another boring fight in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by little one View Post
      Eh. Diaz will lose and it'll go the distance and St Pierre won't be able to finish off yet another opponent. Another boring fight in my humble opinion.
      I agree about Diaz losing but I don't know about it being boring.I think theres going to be a lot of striking from both guys with lots of take down attempts.

I hope its not boring as does everyone else in sure.Either way though,I do see it as another win for GSP.

Comment

I just want to see an exciting fight from GSP, don't get me wrong I think he's a great fighter but he just can't finish anyone. Nick is an exciting fighter, but GSP studies his opponents and takes away their game which results in a very technical fight. Which means both fighters will be playing it safe. I just wanna see someone get knocked out or submitted! Ya know what I mean? Lol

Comment

Think of it this way brother,GSP HAS the belt.He is the champ.Why should he risk anything by stepping out of his game plan? His opponents are the ones that are supposed to step up their game to TAKE his belt.Obviously no-one has been able to do that. However GSP gets it,he wins.Thats all that matters.He doesn't have anything to prove,hes on top right now brother.Look at the GSP/Koschek fight,no he didn't finish Josh,but he beat his ass the entire fight and got the win.

I would love to see all MMA fights go down like the Griffin/Bonner fight.They both WANTED the win and they both went for it.Thats not how it always goes though.

I don't blame GSP for a boring fight,I blame all of his opponents for not having what it takes to TAKE the belt that they are after.They need to go balls to the walls and do whatever it takes to beat GSP,but that doesn't happen.Until it does,GSP will continue to win however he can.

Comment

Agreed. And well stated. Still want to see GSP submit or knock 'im out. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by little one View Post
              Agreed. And well stated. Still want to see GSP submit or knock 'im out. Lol
              Me too!!Lets hope this one will turn into a slug fest.

Comment

Georges St. Pierre to fight Nick Diaz---CONFIRMED
                By Franklin McNeil

Georges St. Pierre will defend his UFC welterweight title against Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz on Oct. 29, according to Dana White.

The UFC president made the announcement Wednesday on his Twitter account.

"You guys wanted it! You got it," White said. "GSP vs. Diaz Oct. 29, UFC 137 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas."

The St. Pierre-Diaz bout announcement comes one day after Diaz signed a multiyear, multifight deal with Zuffa, LLC, the parent company of both UFC and Strikeforce.

When informed of White's announcement, St. Pierre's lead trainer Firas Zahabi could not contain his excitement.

"It is champion vs. champion. That's always the most exciting fights," Zahabi told ESPN.com. "Those are always the fights people want to see the most. When you have a big exciting fight like that one, it's always good for everyone."

The fight with Diaz will be the second in a row for St. Pierre (22-2-0) against a Cesar Gracie-trained fighter. St. Pierre defeated Diaz's teammate Jake Shields by unanimous decision April 30 at UFC 129 in Toronto.

While Diaz (25-7-0) and Shields train at the same camp, their fighting styles are different.

"Nick Diaz has the more aggressive boxing style," Zahabi said. "But on the other side he doesn't have the wrestling pedigree that Jake Shields has.

"They both have excellent jiu-jitsu, but I would say that Jake Shields has more in the wrestling and Diaz more boxing in his style than Jake."

Despite successfully defending his title Shields in front of a record UFC crowd of 55,724, St. Pierre didn't leave the Octagon unscathed. Repeated pokes from Shields gave St. Pierre an injured left eye, and he was immediately taken to a nearby hospital.

The injury, however, has completely healed.

"Georges is 100 percent right now, 100 percent," Zahabi said.

Comment

Working...
                X