• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko to make return on New Year's Eve in Japan

MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko to make return on New Year's Eve in Japan
    By Ryan McKinnell
    September 20, 2015 12:59 AM

'The Last Emperor' is back.

Russian MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko has signed an agreement with Spike TV and will return to mixed martial arts on New Year’s Eve in Tokyo, Japan, after a three-year hiatus.

Bellator President Scott Coker, alongside PRIDE FC founder Nobuyuki Sakakibara, announced the partnership in front of a sold-out crowd at the S&P Center in San Jose.

“[Let’s] restart a new chapter of MMA,” said Sakakibara before unveiling Emelianenko to the surprised crowd.

When Emelianenko grabbed the microphone to announce his return, the notoriously stoic fighter kept things short and sweet.

“I am fighter,” he said when asked why he’s returning now, at 38. “I am ready. I will see you New Year’s Eve on Spike TV.”

The partnership will bring together Spike TV and a 'new global MMA promotion run by former Pride president Nobuyuki Sakakibara.' The New Year’s Eve MMA ‘extravaganza’ will feature other Bellator fighters on the card as well.

"We are thrilled to join forces with Nobuyuki Sakakibara and our partner Bellator [and] president Scott Coker to give MMA fans a big reason to celebrate this New Year’s Eve - Fedor fighting FREE on Spike!" said Spike president Kevin Kay in a press release.

The former PRIDE FC heavyweight champion retired in 2012, after a storied career and an impressive record of 34-4-(1). He left the sport on a three-fight winning streak and fans wondered if the legendary fighter still had gas left in the tank.

It looks like we will find out when the ball drops in the Land of the Rising Sun.
Working...
X