X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodybuilding Contest Prep - The 3 Biggest Mistakes

Bodybuilding Contest Prep - The 3 Biggest Mistakes

Contest Prep Mistake #1 - Time
    You must give yourself enough of the above. Most people underestimate how long it takes to get in competition/photoshoot shape. I was about 8 weeks out in the first photo and already pretty lean.

As a general rule, if you don't have abs at the start of the diet, plan for 16-20 weeks. Otherwise you'll have to crash diet, which will cause muscle loss and you'll end up looking smooth and flat (in addition to becoming a public menace).

So, at first you must decide how many pounds you need to loose in order to get to the bodyfat level that your little heart desires. From there on, plan your diet with a reasonable caloric deficit so that you will drop about 1-2 lbs of fat a week (it won't be all fat, but that's another article).

Keep training as you did before. I still go as heavy as I can, in order to keep as much muscle as possible. Higher reps with lower weights do not burn more fat, but will put you at risk for muscle loss. As for cardio, start adding it gradually as you go along.

It is also preferable to be in shape 2-3 weeks before the event. This will allow you to properly taper off from training. Someone with rested muscles will simply look fuller and better than the guy who was doing two hours of cardio until a day ago. At same time, being in shape early will give you a chance to post as many Facebook updates as your friends can handle.

Contest Prep Mistake #2 - Over-Reliance on Supplements, Especially Fat Burners

Here is how the typical contest prep starts: calories are being cut, cardio added or increased and a fat burner is being thrown in the mix. Low and behold, the athlete loses weight, at least for a while. The problem with that is:

1. You don't know what works.
    2. Where do you go from here if you reach a plateau?

My approach is to keep some arrows in the quiver. At first you cut your calories by 500 a day. Your diet is responsible for 80+% of what you will look like, so it pays off to be meticulous in that department.

After two to three weeks of reduced calories, I start adding cardio for about 2x30 minutes per week. If you keep getting leaner while keeping your strength, stick with that approach. If not, I suggest cutting the calories further by 200/daily and adding a third cardio session. If your strength drops more than 15%, bump your calories (especially carbohydrates) by 40% for two to three days in order to upregulate the metabolism.

Finally, for the last 6 weeks you can use a fat burner to eliminate stubborn fat deposits. This will also help provide that extra boost of energy so you can make it through your workouts.I recommend to lay off the fat burner the last two or three days before your event since most of these substances can interfere with the carb load.

Contest Prep Mistake #3 - Last Week Changes

Here is where most people get confused and end up damaging themselves greatly by following some obscure last-minute sodium/carbohydrate/water depletion/loading scheme. The result is that they look worse than before.

Now to be clear water, salt and carbs will have an effect on your appearance but a proper loading scheme will only make a good physique look great. It will not turn a mediocre body into contest shape over 7 days. In short, athletes who win shows look great the week before already. With that being said, let's cover the big three briefly.

Carbohydrates: most athletes consume very few carbs the week before a show in order to deplete, and start carb loading on Thursday/Friday to store more glycogen in the muscles. The idea is to take advantage of the so-called supercompensation effect, where a carb depleted muscle sucks up carbs like a sponge thus creating a fuller and drier appearance. There is nothing wrong with that approach but there are many shades of grey.

I personally only do a mild depletion from Sunday to Wednesday before the show, where my carbs drop about 25-30%. Then I do a carb load Thursday through Friday and consume about 120% of my regular carb intake. Other people go zero carb for the whole week and only do a heavy load on Friday. For me, that approach doesn't provide enough time to fill out, but you have to experiment for yourselves to see what works. Simply take notes as to how many carb days and what kind of carbs it takes to make you look awesome.

Here is the carb-load approach I used for my last show:

• Sunday to Wednesday - I ate 150 grams of carbs as well as chicken and white fish for 300 grams of protein, fat was kept at a minimum.
    • Thursday and Friday - 3 meals of 4 oz chicken and 8 oz white potatoes, 2 meals steak and 1 1/2 cup of rice.
    • Saturday - Was pretty much the same, but I added salt.

Water
    : That is probably one of the most misunderstood subjects there is. Very often, water is being blamed for what really is fat. "Oh I am just holding some water."
    In the picture above I was drinking 2 gallons a day. Water comes and goes, fat doesn't, so if it is there all the time, chances are it isn't water.

Most people shouldn't even try to manipulate their water intake. If your training/diet got you in great shape the week before, why change it now? If you feel you should use any kind of diuretic, legal or not, keep in mind that your muscles are mostly made from water and dehydration will leave you flat. Therefore, it is critical not to cut water out too early.

So what about the opposite: the dreaded spill over? Don't despair, if you feel you have spilled it can be fixed by doing a light whole body pump workout. This will make you sweat and force the body to transport the water from under the skin into the muscle cells. Most people actually don't spill, they were simply not lean enough in the first place.

If you must know, I did cut my water late Friday afternoon and only sipped through pre-judging. Use what works for you. I have seen people jugging down a gallon backstage and still winning the show. Everybody is different.

Salt:
    salt, like water, is very much misunderstood. A sodium deloading and loading protocol will only make a very good physique even drier and crisper. But, if you are not vascular the days before a show, it's not the salt that is holding you back. Again, you are not lean enough.

Sodium is needed to ensure that the muscle cells can contract and relax. All this is done via low electrical stimulus from the nerves. If sodium levels are inadequate for neuronal function, then a muscle cell will fail to function properly. This is why long periods of cutting sodium out don't make any sense.

Without sodium, you cant get a pump and your body will appear flat. Cutting sodium out on Friday and re-introducing it on Saturday before pre-judging should do the trick.
    Some athletes don't bother without it at all and still look great. Again, it is all about observing and paying attention to detail.

These are the three biggest pitfalls when it comes to achieving peak condition. With your newly gained knowledge you should be able to get yourself into top shape.

Comment

The dynamic soundtrack of geometry dash complements each level perfectly, amplifying the adrenaline rush of overcoming obstacles.

Comment

I'm ecstatic to have discovered your website, cookie clicker and I'm looking forward to many more engaging moments here. Once again, many thanks for providing all of the information.

Comment

Working...
        X