Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So where do you train and why?

Home gym? Big franchise? Locally owned?

I'll get started by saying that I train at Planet Fatness. Before you laugh yourself silly, there are some high points that keep me there.

Pros:
    Location is close to where I work and go to school
    This location is well kept and clean
    24 hours
    It's not so damn busy. I can usually get the piece of equipment I want
    No one trying to "upsell" me all the time
    Good functional locker room with clean showers and shitters
    Inexpensive
    Pizza on Mondays! (Kidding, I don't give a fuck)

Cons:
    Lunk alarm. I haven't triggered it yet though
    Lacking some equipment I would like to use (ie: hack squat, hammer machines)

My area has a real lack of "hardcore" gyms. In fact, there isn't a "gym" in this area. Everything is a "fitness" center. There are a lot of Anytime Fitness's and Snap Fitness's but they are small, lacking showers, and lacking a lot of equipment.

There was a Gold's Gym, but it has been renamed Xperience Fitness. Has the best equipment in the area, but it's so busy, that getting on that equipment is tough. they are also ALWAYS trying to sell you something more. Leave me the fuck alone.

There are even some super girlie gyms opening here. Ellipse Fitness. Anyone heard of these? I don't know if its local or national. No weights at all except for small dumbells, used when they do some fuckin' girlie thing they do.

So where do you train and why?

p.s. and how bout some love for the newest senior member?

Im a guy that has an ab ball at home and never use it
    I belong to a franchise gym sometimes very busy. But
    I feed off the energy. And i dont mind the attention
    But some disadvantages are its klicky and dumbells only go up to
    120 lbs. And i will not pay 80 amonth to go to GOLDS GYM

Comment

MrsBig and I train at home, we pretty much have everything we need. I think we spent about $1300 for all the equipment that we have and we purchased it all used. Train naked if we want lol but we don't lol. Pretty much train when every we want, the only thing we have in the basement is the radio, definitely no clock or other distractions.
      The Rules At Juiced Muscle (everyone please read)
      http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...e-please-read)
      http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...please-read!!!
      Chat Box Talk And Rules
      http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...-Shoutbox-Talk
      No Soliciting Websites In Your Signatures
      http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...our-Signatures

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness!

Comment

I have a Golds Gym in my area but have yet to set foot in there. I got a bud that owns a gym a few blocks down and we swap out work for membership. He was a title holder
        in the state at one time in body building. Great with training and I cant beat the price. I walked into a big dollar training center once a few weeks back in NY and was ready to puke
        after seeing what a mess this place was. I know to much about MRSA and other things that can make you sick from just touching it. Trust me I'm no germ freak I just know better.

As to a gym at home.. Ya I have a small amount of equipment at home. Its where I started out in this. I had to use it today cause I could not make the gym. Its kinda my back-up.
        Not what I like to use tho.. Not enough weight on the bench for now Oh and by the way. The drive is 30 minuets from my home. You have t travel some in the south to get to a gym. Seems like the locals know only how to lift a case a beer and the fat chick next door. Ill pass on both.
        Building my self for a better tomorrow.

Comment

I train at home and if I have class the college I attend has many gyms so I'll hit those. So I believe convienience reigns over all. Except when the cheerleaders or volleyball team is exercising then I'm there.

Comment

Originally posted by Big L View Post
            Im a guy that has an ab ball at home and never use it
            I belong to a franchise gym sometimes very busy. But
            I feed off the energy. And i dont mind the attention
            But some disadvantages are its klicky and dumbells only go up to
            120 lbs. And i will not pay 80 amonth to go to GOLDS GYM
            Holly Fuck!! 80 A MONTH..... AND NO PIZZA???? WTF!!!

Comment

I for one use a local gym. It is owned by my family. Cousins to be exact. Also one cousin is my best friend. So i go for free because i help with anything they need me to do around the place. We have it all though. Hack squat too guys. 780 something members. Locally owned and operated and not super busy. I lived in Florida for like 19 years and went to some of the franchise gyms and they suck in general. Planet Fitness is the worst lol. When i was on vacation in Daytona like 2 years ago i went there for a couple days. Man saw the Lunk alarm and put 2 and 2 together and was like Wow. So while there i there i tried to take it easy as to not have them hit me with that bull. And i do not like working out like that! I like to work hard and heavy and to do that you will have to let your beast out. I was thinking to myself if they embarrass me in here and put me on the spot i am going to go off! We have a boxing ring also. Awesome place in a small town.
              Go Hard Or Stay Home!!

Comment

Originally posted by Time Bandit View Post
                Holly Fuck!! 80 A MONTH..... AND NO PIZZA???? WTF!!!
                I know right? I could see 80 a month if they had pizza, but without? The former Gold's gym where I live is at $10/mo, but I suspect that's why they are bothering you trying to sell you shit all the time.

Comment

F@#k it I'm going to domino's.

Comment

Originally posted by juicemanjoe View Post
                    F@#k it I'm going to domino's.
                    lmao, you can always go to Planet Fatness and get pizza. lol
                    The Rules At Juiced Muscle (everyone please read)
                    http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...e-please-read)
                    http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...please-read!!!
                    Chat Box Talk And Rules
                    http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...-Shoutbox-Talk
                    No Soliciting Websites In Your Signatures
                    http://juicedmuscle.com/showthread.p...our-Signatures

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness!

Comment

Retro Fitness and planet fitness. Retro in the day and planet at night for cardio. Not really a good selection of gyms around. Gold's is a dump, at least the one by me. Bev Francis has a gym but it's a good ten miles or so and just too far with my tight schedule.
                      sigpic

Comment

If you have the room you can always find good deals on craigslist for home gyms with people trying to get rid of their two thousand dollar clothes hanger. I scored a $3500 home gym for $450. Not for all but never fightig for machines or weights

Comment

Fuck a pizza... Get me a fat ass sausage Calzone stuffed with pepper's and onions. Lots of cheese please before Ma calls. She will breaka my head she fines out..
                          Time Bandit
                          Last edited by Time Bandit; 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I train at a pretty small, private owned gym
                            A couple hundred members. Started there about 6-7 yrs ago
                            It's the only real gym in my town without spinning and all that crap
                            Real equipment, big weights, you can grunt and groan all you want
                            and it's juicer friendly, the policy is that as long as you don't inject there we
                            don't care. Plus I used to work there so I train for free
                            Size ain't nothin' without strength. Strength ain't nothin' without size

Comment

I train at a small private gym right outside of chicago. The owner actually started the gym because planet fatness kicked him out for carrying 1 gallon water bottle around. Anyhow, 3 years later he has an awesome gym with basically no rules. Grunt, dropweights, pretty much everything goes. Before this gym, I was always at the big box gyms. I learned quite a bit of manners at them, so sometimes this gym is a little too much for people. However, when I am squating and doing deadlifts, I feel at home. =) It is kinda nice though. He has tractor tires, all of the crossfit gear, and more (at least 10) squat racks than benches. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X