Shin splints in the forearm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shin splints in the forearm?

I have encoutered an strange situation, when I do curles I get this pain in my outer forearm that I can only describe as shin splints in my arm. I rested it for a few weeks and it still comes back. I am only able to side cable curels and hammer curels. How can I get over this bothersome issue. I've heard that my muscle is growing to fast, the sack around my muscle has tears in it, fractures in my arms the list goes on but really all I want to know is this common and how have people gotten over this. One of my bros said just lift through the pain and I tried and within three weeks I couldn't curel a 20lb dumbell without feeling a debilitaing pain. Mind you I am only cureling 110 on the bar and 50lbs on the dumbells now, not much by most standards here I'm sure and I feel it coming back. I do max 405 on the bench and my arms are of good size but If you read my profile I'm into strength. What's the deal?
    Never mistake kindness for weakness...

If youre into strength why are you doing curls at all?? LoL just sayin you can get most stimulation for Bi's thru Compound lifts . I love the T Bar rows! I know the feeling you mean cuz i used to curl alot its where that meaty part meats the middle part you can see if your forearm is defined. I would try to just do more compound lifts and maybe finish with 1-2 sets of lighter more volume curls.

Comment

I used to get the same kind of pain when doing biceps/ forearm exercises, but haven't in a few years. You might have bone spurrs. I found this which might help:
      Bone spurs in the arm or wrist usually occur from overactivity. Baseball pitchers, tennis players and golfers are most prone to this condition.
      • Strenuous activity or exercise can also cause spurs. Tennis is a common sport that can cause bone spurs or a weak elbow. To exercise spurs out of the wrist, elbows or shoulders, try the following exercises:
        To concentrate on the muscles that flex the wrist, straighten your right arm out in front of you, palm facing up, and use your left hand gently push on the upturned right palm. Hold that position for five to seven seconds, and switch sides. Try this exercise 40 times, two sets a day.
        To work on the muscles that twist the wrist, hold a five-pound weight in the hurt hand with the thumb pointing up. Now, slowly and purposefully rotate the wrist inward as far as possible and then outward as far as possible. Hold each position for two seconds before moving to the next one. Repeat this as many times as your elbow will allow. Again, do not overdo it for the sake of "speeding up" your recovery. A slow, gentle recovery is the best thing for bone spurs in the arm, elbow or wrist.

Founder of M.A.A.D.

Free Your Mind

Comment

I'm having the same issue. This only occurs when im performing heavy 112.5lb w/ bar, barbells curls. I just lift through it and take out the extra weight onto my core or butt when lifting that heavy. It sucks. It feels like my arm is going to break mid-way through rep. Now I have resorted to dropsets w/ lighter weights. Arms have responded well. After that dropsets I dont know what im going to do. Let us knows how this works out for you. I'm having to plan my bicep routines around this issue and its getting old.
        Muscles are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. Eat big to get big.

Comment

I got mine from hammer curls. They suck! I just take extra Advil before training bi's. I also use one of those tennis elbow wrap things that go around the forearm. It seems to help some.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoDino247 View Post
            I used to get the same kind of pain when doing biceps/ forearm exercises, but haven't in a few years. You might have bone spurrs. I found this which might help:
            Bone spurs in the arm or wrist usually occur from overactivity. Baseball pitchers, tennis players and golfers are most prone to this condition.
            • Strenuous activity or exercise can also cause spurs. Tennis is a common sport that can cause bone spurs or a weak elbow. To exercise spurs out of the wrist, elbows or shoulders, try the following exercises:
              To concentrate on the muscles that flex the wrist, straighten your right arm out in front of you, palm facing up, and use your left hand gently push on the upturned right palm. Hold that position for five to seven seconds, and switch sides. Try this exercise 40 times, two sets a day.
              To work on the muscles that twist the wrist, hold a five-pound weight in the hurt hand with the thumb pointing up. Now, slowly and purposefully rotate the wrist inward as far as possible and then outward as far as possible. Hold each position for two seconds before moving to the next one. Repeat this as many times as your elbow will allow. Again, do not overdo it for the sake of "speeding up" your recovery. A slow, gentle recovery is the best thing for bone spurs in the arm, elbow or wrist.

just trying is I felt the pain so I think this may work. It looks like a long road to recovery, but hey, pain is part of the end result

Comment

Originally posted by Braveone View Post
              I got mine from hammer curls. They suck! I just take extra Advil before training bi's. I also use one of those tennis elbow wrap things that go around the forearm. It seems to help some.
              Fyi I read that Advil is counter-productive to a workout. I think it was in Men's Fitness. The way it was described was "Why take an anti-iflamatory when you are trying to inflame the muscles to grow" or something like that. It was in one of the workout books

Comment

Stop squeezing the bar and curling your wrists in as you finish are things that people do and its no good for your forearms dont know if you do but try not to also try using the ez bar

Comment

yeah I have been flexing my wrists towards me and just yesterday I heard about flexing in the other direction. It's a hard habbit to get over.

Comment

Working...
                  X