Inferred spectroscopy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inferred spectroscopy

Any chemistry majors out there? I just became aware that my hazmat team on my dept has a $90,000 inferred spectrometer available for my use! Basically this high tech computerized machine is used to identify unknown chemicals and compounds. So I had it analyze two pills I purchased from **** ( will remain nameless until further data is gathered) anyway, neither came back as being a steroid! I guess it's possible that the sample I scraped off could have had only the fillers (which it came up as--pepsid, lactose and cellulose) but my question is, is it possible that a machine like this would need to be calibrated to even recognize steroids? Or do I just got some bunk shit? My boss is going to inquire to a higher up without incriminating either of us and see if it is capable of identifying this type of organic substance, and is sending out the spectrum analysis to have it further analyzed. Any input anyone has would be VERY helpful. If this thing pans out, I'll never have to worry about legit sources again. And, I will gladly pass this info on.

ii am pretty sure it should pick up everything bro, thats really weird.. and the percents of each prolly weight ect.

Comment

How did u go about the analysis did you crush the samples using an oily mulling agent and then smear that onto a salt plate or did you use another method by which the sample is ground up with a specially purified salt (usually potassium bromide) then pressed with a press into a pellet form which then can be inserted into the machine for analysis?? Or did you just stick the pills in??

Comment

Infrared spectra, or Fourier transform infrared (FTIR). Interesting, I would like to help. To put it simple, the machine finds substances and can only "find and identify" them if they are available in the database.

Comment

So if the machine isn't programmed with the makeup of the substance you are looking for than it wont be able to I.D. it is that correct??

Comment

Ok that's the answer I was looking for---Maybe it's not in the database. The sample was just crushed and placed on the "eye" of the machine. Then there's a drop down metal arm. No chemicals involved. I'm not the hazmat guru, this is one of our guys on my dept. He was screwing around with the machine and I propositioned him an unknown... I have no clue how it works myself. I more or less was feeling him out to see if he was game. (not in a position to lose my job over taking gear) next shift when nobody is around I plan to talk more about it with him.

Comment

Be careful bro once you program that machine to recognize the gear i believe that whoever is in charge will be able to see that and possibly pull up past reports and see that somebody used it to run those tests......not having ever seen one I'm just guessing on that but I believe like any computer instrument it will have the ability to store data and past test results for future references so be careful

Comment

Dude if I were you id knock that shit off immediately........the last thing you want to do is use a work owned and maintained piece of equipment to analyze stuff that could potentially cause severe repercussions for you personally. I'm only assuming, when you use the term hazmat team, you work for a FD or some type of governmental agency that deals with that stuff. I guarantee u if you program into that the specs to analyze AAS then it will be there along with the results. You are probably already way bigger and way stronger than the rest of your coworkers which already makes you suspect for taking AAS. You know how coworkers talk, especially the ones that don't have the dedication to lift and diet like you do. The last you want is to have evidence on a work piece of equipment that you have used indicating aas analysis.
                If I were you, trust the stuff from N::S and don't take a chance and jeopardize your job bro........
                MODERN DAY GUNSLINGER

Comment

Good point

Comment

Working...
                  X